Walkie Talkies that text

mimitexas

I think you want an exrs radio. You can google that term to find who sells them and who makes them.

Be advised that these are not designed for use on-board a ship. They are low power (1 watt) and being digital the received signal is either perfect or non-extant. They work in the 900 MHz band (spread spectrum which is kinda neato). The higher the frequency, the less penetrating power .. all the metal on a cruise ship means LOTS to penetrate .. and 900 MHz is a considerably higher frequency than the analog low power two-way radios in common use.

It's really not as hard as you think to "stay in touch" on the ship! You'll make tentative plans for the day, so everyone will have an idea where everyone else may be! Set up "meeting times" (generally, meals) and if plans change, a note in the cabin, or a message on the cabin phone works wonders!

As large as the ships appear, most of the space is taken with cabins...if it's not YOUR hallway, you have no need to search those areas. You'll find that you'll gravitate to one or two areas...and the rest of your party will find you---no problem!

Thanks for the information...just ordered exrs radio from amazon with texting!

The reviews stated that they worked well on cruise ships. All past cruises have been with people the same age and same interests...no problem finding each other and meeting. But with this large group, ranging in age from 2-56, I think we will really enjoy these.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I would also like to know how the walkie talkie's that texted worked! We are sailing on the Carnival Magic in August with our family and would really like to invest in something like this, if they worked well. This is our first cruise! :D

Have a great day!!

• 6 months later...

Apriljoanne ~

We ended up not finding any we liked, so we went on our first ever cruise without them. My mother, my husband and I, and our three children (19,12,&6) were traveling together, and it ended up great! Our older two kids did great and when it was time to meet together, we just made designated meeting times/places. The ships are huge, but honestly, by the end of the week it didn't seem quite so big! (Now that I think about it, I don't know that I saw anyone with them on our cruise.)

I hope you have a wonderful time! Our trip was fabulous! :D (Even in very rough seas one whole day due to Hurricane Ernesto :()

• 2 years later...
Thanks for the information...just ordered exrs radio from amazon with texting!

The reviews stated that they worked well on cruise ships. All past cruises have been with people the same age and same interests...no problem finding each other and meeting. But with this large group, ranging in age from 2-56, I think we will really enjoy these.

I searched amazon for "exrs radio with texting" and did not find any that had good reviews. Reviews were all pretty bad. What brand and model are they?

I'm aware the original post is old. That question was to everyone. Hence the "anybody" and "still selling". Sorry, shouldve pointed that out!!

If your comment is toward my post, I was directing that to SantaFeFan who asked a question of a poster from the past.

You're asking someone who posted in 2011. They haven't posted on Cruise Critic since 2013.

Darn! Got snookered by an old thread AGAIN!!!! Thanks!

I wish the website owners would flag old threads with a special color, a special banner, or something to make them stand out. Many times information described in old threads is no longer valid. Doesn't help that people like me blindly read a thread without even looking at the date. :D:o

Edited by SantaFeFan

Darn! Got snookered by an old thread AGAIN!!!! Thanks!

I wish the website owners would flag old threads with a special color, a special banner, or something to make them stand out. Many times information described in old threads is no longer valid. Doesn't help that people like me blindly read a thread without even looking at the date. :D:o

Yeah, I'm in that same boat. I try to check out the original post, but sometimes I slip.

If you look at post #3 and 9, you will see that you don't need to take these on board. I certainly wouldn't want to lug a walkie talkie around on vacation. There are much better ways to stay in touch with others. The in-cabin phones have voice mail that can be left by any phone that a passenger can use (all around the ship). On our last cruise, the three of us (including our 15-year-old) left messages on the door or on the desk for each other. You'll get a Patter each night for the next day -- go over it as a group then or in the morning and talk over what activities that each person plan to do.

Ships aren't that big that you might find yourself running into your friends and family, even when you're not looking for them. And short of a medical emergency (in which case you might be paged over the PA), there may be family members who don't need to be in contact with you 24/7 (and may not want to be joined at the hip).