Query for Kiwi Kruzer

sagittarius

I too am having a stop in Benoa in late March and noticed that you had given some info in another post.

My question is this..Is Benoa really just a place to pick up a tour either pre-organised or on the day? Should I already have another destination..ie Ubud or Denpasaar in mind?

Or can I arrive off the tender and do some walking around, are there any markets/information stands etc?

At this stage I don't fancy a ship tour and have not thought about sorting a private trip as maybe when we get there I may not even feel like leaving the ship. Bali was not on my radar so to speak when I booked the round oz trip but if I have to pay the visa fee then I may go ashore.

You seem to be fairly knowledgable with regards to trips around this area and I hope you do not mind me asking this.

Many thanks jane

I too am having a stop in Benoa in late March and noticed that you had given some info in another post.

You seem to be fairly knowledgable with regards to trips around this area and I hope you do not mind me asking this.Many thanks jane

Hi Jane. I am far from knowlegable about Bali, and all I can report is on is how we found it on our cruise.

We were very lucky as one of our Roll Call members spends a lot of time in Bali on business and he organised a fabulous tour for us.

Benoa, is sort of out on a point of land so when you tender ashore there is just the landing area... and not much else. You are a fair way from anything.

Busses line up for the tours and privately organised tours had vans waiting.

At the port gates however , there were a lot of "taxi vans" and drivers touting for business and many passengers availed themselves of their services.

If you just want a look around I am sure you could tee something up for a set time either on an hourly rate , or negotiate a tour price. Just make sure that both you , and the driver , know the rate , or final figure before you set off. The local drivers semed to be OK and I got the impression they know what they are doing as they service the Resorts in the area.

Traffic can be a hassle in Bali. We did not get into Denpasar or Kuta, as the drivers phoned ahead and it was gridlocked....it was also a Public Holiday that day as a big Festival was on. We called into to Sanur(?) instead which is not far from Benoa.

Even though our tour was privately organised we still ended up at the Art shops, Galleries and Silversmith shops that were "known" to the drivers , but you seem to get that on all tours.

Whatever you do I trust you have a great day there.

If you do take a private tour, another tip is to arrive back at the tender in plenty of time to the avoid the big rush when all the tour busses arrive back in time for the last tender.

• 10 months later...
Hi Jane. I am far from knowlegable about Bali, and all I can report is on is how we found it on our cruise.

We were very lucky as one of our Roll Call members spends a lot of time in Bali on business and he organised a fabulous tour for us.

Benoa, is sort of out on a point of land so when you tender ashore there is just the landing area... and not much else. You are a fair way from anything.

Busses line up for the tours and privately organised tours had vans waiting.

At the port gates however , there were a lot of "taxi vans" and drivers touting for business and many passengers availed themselves of their services.

If you just want a look around I am sure you could tee something up for a set time either on an hourly rate , or negotiate a tour price. Just make sure that both you , and the driver , know the rate , or final figure before you set off. The local drivers semed to be OK and I got the impression they know what they are doing as they service the Resorts in the area.

Traffic can be a hassle in Bali. We did not get into Denpasar or Kuta, as the drivers phoned ahead and it was gridlocked....it was also a Public Holiday that day as a big Festival was on. We called into to Sanur(?) instead which is not far from Benoa.

Even though our tour was privately organised we still ended up at the Art shops, Galleries and Silversmith shops that were "known" to the drivers , but you seem to get that on all tours.

Whatever you do I trust you have a great day there.

If you do take a private tour, another tip is to arrive back at the tender in plenty of time to the avoid the big rush when all the tour busses arrive back in time for the last tender.

Hi David, do you by chance remember the driver/guide or company your group used?

Thanks!

Called at Benoa May 2010 on Sun Princess. Negotiated a price with a cab at the port gate ( AUD$50 for four pax but he was so good we gave him $100. Ubod is a great destination and can totally recommend the Cafe Lotus at the Water Temple superb food at very good prices and pleasant surroundings. Be firm with the locals trying to badger you into a last minute purchase of perfume? at the port gate on your return. Make the effort it is worth it.

Hi David, do you by chance remember the driver/guide or company your group used?

Thanks!

Sorry. I was just a passenger on that tour which was arranged by a member from our Roll Call. We ended up with 2 busses , (there seemed to be no problem adding another one on) , and they seemed to work in with all the other tours as they were on the phones checking on traffic conditions ahead and altering the tour to suit.

Bali has a large tourist infrastructure and the local drivers are used to catering to guests from the many resorts there.

The drivers maybe, but the roads are very few ,and very narrow.

If we went there again on a cruise we would just head to the port gates and get a driver and mini bus for a set time.

Archived