Giant sea turtles in the wild

furluvcats

By "swim with" turtles I assume you mean swim near them. You can't bother them or god forbid touch them. By FAR the best 'success' rate I've had for seeing turtles when I snorkel is Honokeana Bay on Maui. It's not well known. It is the cove just south of Napili Bay, and the last time I stayed at Napili I saw turtles every time I snorkeled Honokeana.

Access is tricky, but relatively painless. Park like you're going to Napili Bay, preferably the southern access along Napili Place (on the North side of Napili Shores resort). walk to the stairs at the south end of the bay and climb up to the grassy area, and follow the grass around Napili Shores and Napili Point resorts. You'll see Honokeana Bay. The jump-off point is a small one-person sized inlet in the rocks on the bay's north side, at the base of a sloping grassy area.

When the sea is calm Honokeana can have excellent visibility, especially if you dive down about five feet. And watch out for turtles. I've seen four at a time in this bay.

I've seen turtles at just about all of the famous Hawaii snorkel spots, but for consistency and ubiquity of sightings, this is the best.

One of the best and most convenient places to snorkel and see turtles in Kona is at the Kahaluu Beach Park. Just 3-4 miles south of Kona on Alii Drive. The turtles graze on the rocks and its very easy to get up close and personal with them. Google the Park for more info.

I agree with Bubbachief. There were MANY turtles a Kahaluu Beach Park in Kona,and also on the black sand beach, Punaluu.

We actually swam with them at Black Rock on Kaanapali Beach in Maui.

We learned from one of the hotel employees, that 2 very large turtles have lived there for years and one of them is usually around swimming.

Another good place is Turtle Beach on Oahu.

There are two turtles that swim in front of the Moana Hotel in Waikiki! The snorkeling there is not good, but if you float around the coral area with grass, you probably will see them. People are not usually in the area because of the coral. There will be hundreds of people in the water on either side, but this one area is pretty empty of people, and two turtles seem to "own" the place. I always have my mask and snorkle with me, just in case I spot the turtles.

I've had great luck snorkeling in Wailea in front of the Four Seasons - I always find a few turtles to play with! You can also go a few miles south of the Four Seasons - I forget the name of the beach, but the water area is called turtle town, and there are dozens there.

The sea turtle population is definitely increasing. As another poster mentioned, never touch the turtles - they can get infected from human contact.

Happy snorkeling!

One of the best and most convenient places to snorkel and see turtles in Kona is at the Kahaluu Beach Park. Just 3-4 miles south of Kona on Alii Drive. The turtles graze on the rocks and its very easy to get up close and personal with them. Google the Park for more info.

another vote for Kahaluu Beach Park @ Kona...

there were four turtles swimming with us! :D

65477_484497548672_721123672_5819037_3691990_n.jpg

Archived