La Reserve on Marina

Dutch Explorers

We are really interested in more information on what La Reserve has to offer. On the Oceania site the only information we can find is that you can enjoy a 7 course dinner with matching wines at a cost of $75 plus gratuity.

Can anyone share their experience (we know the maiden voyage just started last weekend.... ;))?

perhaps some other insights on wine tastings etc?

Brgds,

Marco&Jessica

We are on the next Marina cruise and have made our reservations for February 19th. We can get back to you after that and let you know. There were only 2 nights available, which means a total of 48 individuals will be able to have this experience on the next cruise. We are looking forward to enjoying it.

La Reserve sounds very much like a small restaurant that was at the top of the World Trade Center. We dined there several times and it was always marvelous.

They took a space in the center of the floor that had no view and turned it into a private restaurant (with live classical guitar music being quietly played in the backgound) and matched the meal to the wines. If you wanted to continue drinking a particular wine rather than switching, that was fine with them.

It was a MUCH better deal than "Windows on the World" but of course "Windows" had spectacular views.

We are booked on 3/28 cruise. I had wanted to host another couple and surprise my husband for his 70th birthday with dinner. I had my TA call the first morning we could book (60 days out) and the slots were all filled, as PH and above had already done dining reservations. Oceania said that at present they are only opening La Reserve 2 nights a cruise for dinner, even though our cruise is 19 days. My understanding of the reasoning: they have to pull so much regular staff to serve the special meal, wines etc. I am hoping when/if there is a demand for this that they change the 2 night policy so more people can book it. I hadn't realized it would be a problem and was so excited to surprise my husband with something different.

We are booked on 3/28 cruise. I had wanted to host another couple and surprise my husband for his 70th birthday with dinner. I had my TA call the first morning we could book (60 days out) and the slots were all filled, as PH and above had already done dining reservations. Oceania said that at present they are only opening La Reserve 2 nights a cruise for dinner, even though our cruise is 19 days. My understanding of the reasoning: they have to pull so much regular staff to serve the special meal, wines etc. I am hoping when/if there is a demand for this that they change the 2 night policy so more people can book it. I hadn't realized it would be a problem and was so excited to surprise my husband with something different.

I'm so sorry that you were unable to get the reservation that you wanted. :( We're also celebrating a "destination birthday" on our upcoming Marina voyage so we know exactly what you are feeling.

All may not be lost however, for two reasons:

1) It is my understanding that some reservations are being held back so that there will be availability for those who wish to book during the cruise.

2) At this early point in the new reservation process, people seem to be booking reservations just because they are entitled to them. Knowing how life seems to intrude on even the most carefully made plans, I wonder how many "pre booked" reservations will wind up being cancelled.

If I were you, I'd make it a point of getting to the ship early, and have what my father used to call "a talk" with whomever is booking La Reserve, onboard. ;)

Oh, and don't forget that you could also book Privée if you wanted to go for something more private and swank

ry%3D400

Privée stands alone as Oceania Cruises' most opulent, indulgent, one-of-a-kind dining experience. Even superlatives pale when describing Marina's ultimate venue, which you may reserve solely for exclusive parties of as many as eight privileged gourmands. Outlandishly decorated with Ferrari Red carpeting, oversized white baby crocodile throne chairs, ornate Baroque millwork, and flanked by backlit onyx-clad walls, the setting for Privée is absolutely exquisite. A custom-made oval table, illuminated by a white Venini glass chandelier, lies at its heart, accentuating the culinary magic that awaits you.

The seven-course gourmet Menu Degustation is custom created to fulfill your desires. Simply meet with Marina's Executive Chef beforehand, make your request, and it will be masterfully prepared and impeccably served. Within the sanctum of Privée, dining engages all the senses, leaving you and your guests immensely fulfilled.

This dining extravaganza can be reserved for $1,000 per evening for a party of up to 8 guests. To reserve Privée for the evening, log into your Already Booked account or by contacting Reservations at 800-531-5619.

Hi findacruise,

We are also hoping that because of the overwhelming response to La Reserve, that additional nights might become available during the TA sailing.

Why not come join some fellow Marina passengers over at the roll call for the 3/28 TA:

Miami to Barcelona - March 28, 2011

Kathleen

Take it for what it is worth, but any comment I have heard was extremely positive.

I'm thinking they could easily go for 1 out of every two nights (i.e. 14 night cruise would have 7 tastings).

The food is all fabulous and the space for Reserve is gorgeous! I'm sorry we didn't do this tasting!

Thanks to all for your encouragement and suggestions. I talked to my TA who will be at the festivities next week in Miami and the expansion of days will be a suggestion that will be made. I also have been know to have very nice conversations (talks) to try to accomplish my goals - one of my former lives in the custmer service arena does come in handy at times! With 7 weeks and 3 more cruises before ours,I am hopeful for a change.

Perhaps once they see how popular La Reserve will be they will add more than 2 nights

It seems like a waste if it is only utilized 2 nights even on a 10 day cruise

Maybe the problem is staffing

Time will tell

Lyn

I just got off the phone with guest relations of O.

Lucky us, we were able to make a reservation :D:D on our cruise (Caribbean Pearls, march 16th)

There were only 2 evenings offered and we still had a choice of both evenings.

It took some effort to make the reservation as I felt they are not used to this kind of reservation at a surcharge. At first they told me it could only be booked on board but after double checking I was able to book it. You have to pay it at the time of booking.

I will give a detailed review after our cruise.

Anyone interested, on the Caribbean Pearls cruise the 20th and 26th are still availbale for reservations as per guest services. Be quick as the space is limited!!

We just booked ours last Friday on the July 29th Treasures of the Continent. They were offering three nights on this 12 day cruise. Oceania will process the charge immediately as it has already hit my credit card account. We booked through our TA. I am really looking forward to this event and can't wait to hear about your experiences, Dutch Explorer!

Does anyone know if someone who does not drink alcohol can dine at La Reserve without the wine pairing?

In this crazy world, they probably would allow that option. However, I have to ask -Why would somebody who didn't drink want to attend a wine pairing? :confused:

La Riserve is not a "for a fee" specialty restaurant, it's a wine bar that serves food.

We just booked ours last Friday on the July 29th Treasures of the Continent. They were offering three nights on this 12 day cruise. Oceania will process the charge immediately as it has already hit my credit card account. We booked through our TA. I am really looking forward to this event and can't wait to hear about your experiences, Dutch Explorer!

Interesting as I had been told we had to wait until the same time frame as for specialty restaurants. Had I not waited, then I problably could have gotten in since I had been planning to do this since I first read about La Reserve. Well, I'll just keep my fingers crossed they add more seatings and I have my TA checking about a waiting list. But no matter what we'll still celebrate!

In this crazy world, they probably would allow that option. However, I have to ask -Why would somebody who didn't drink want to attend a wine pairing? :confused:

La Riserve is not a "for a fee" specialty restaurant, it's a wine bar that serves food.

Does this room serve more than one wine/food pairing per night?

Thank you for the info re La Reserve. We are on the same sailing and just booked through our TA also. I would never think that we would be able to book so early.

BTW, are you interested in a private excursion, from Le Verdon, of the medoc wine region? I have corresponded with a company recommended on these boards. We are looking for 2-4 other people to join us.

Thanks again for the heads up--

Marcia

bonvoyage14@yahoo.com

No, but there may be additional pairing events or tastings during the day

We enjoyed LaReserve completely. The first two nights were booked before we boarded and we went to the conceirge as had been instructed by the O rep, DJ. Another two evenings were opened up with a third possible if there was enough request.

We were told the $75.00 fee was for the wine only, and not the food, the food being separate and no charge.

We were all able to keep the menu and learned there is an alternate menu. I don't believe there is a third, yet, but if La Reserve is a hit there may be more available.

There have also been wine tastings on board, today it is a Premium tasting at $50.00 pp. We will not attend that!

Somewhere else on these boards I wrote a bit more of a description of our evening, how much personal assistance, how friendly the staff and fellow diners.

I highly recommend La Reserve.

Archived