Taking Requests for Star Info

Wanna_Cruize

OK, we are leaving on Saturday on the Star to Cabo, Mazatlan (maybe), & Puerto Vallarta. I got a lot of great info on here for our first NCL, but have had a hard time finding certain stuff. Here's the Star-specific info I'm planning to try and bring back with me:

*Freestyle Dailies for MR

*Specialty Restaurant fees

*Spa Pass info

Any other requests?

Can you report back on the ship time vs port time for each of the 3 ports after you get back?

We're looking to book an independent excursion in Puerto Vallarta (Los Veronas Canopy Tour) but can't get a solid answer on what the ship time will be as compared to the port time.

Also hoping to find out who the current Cruise Director is and and what the current Shows and Entertainment are.

Thanks! Enjoy your cruise!

On the NCL website for the Star, on Deck 13, forward shows "Sun Deck" and just after that it shows "access to the Bier Garten" on both sides of the ship. Yet I cannot find anything about what the "Bier Garten" is. Is it a bar? Just open sun seating?

Would appreciate if you could investigate. I'm trying to find someplace topside to have our Meet N Greet at Sailaway.

Thanks so much for taking the time to research and answer everyone's questions.

Be careful South of the Border, and have a great cruise!

Thanks for doing this! This is what CC should be all about.

I'm curious as to whether you stop in Mazatlan (I hope we don't in a few weeks) and whether the specialty restaurants appear sold out or if a walk-up reservation is possible. I'd also like to know the hours for breakfast in the dining rooms (and Cagney's if you're in a suite) and which of the two main rooms you like better and why.

I'm interested in drink specials but if you're going to post the dailies, I can get that info there. If not, I'd like to know what the drinks of the day are.

Lastly, I'd like to know if there is a night where duty-free is cheaper. On Princess, it was cheaper the first night.

Ok, making notes of the requests. FYI, we're not in a suite unfortunately, it's steerage for us, but I will try and gather info from some of the people in our Meet & Greet.

I would say our chances of stopping in Mazatlan are sitting at about 5% right now, so I may not get to do Stone Island again. It's a shame, because we missed Mazatlan the last time we were supposed to go there when Splendor hit the pier jetty in Puerto Vallarta last year and put a hole in the end of the ship. Oh well, the cruise will still be fantastic, so no worries.

DH and I don't always go to the shows, but I will report on those we do go to, and try and get info on others. Perhaps I'll pass out assignments at our M&G and have everyone report back?

On the NCL website for the Star, on Deck 13, forward shows "Sun Deck" and just after that it shows "access to the Bier Garten" on both sides of the ship. Yet I cannot find anything about what the "Bier Garten" is. Is it a bar? Just open sun seating?

Would appreciate if you could investigate. I'm trying to find someplace topside to have our Meet N Greet at Sailaway.

I did just find this pic of the Bier Garten:

http://reviewcruises.net/cruise-pics/v/ncl-star/NCL+Star+Bier+Garten+Bar.jpg.html

On the website it talks about it being 'open air' but it looks like at least some of it has an awning covering the bar area at least. It says it seats 143, so it much be pretty big. I'll report back, because I'm sure DH will volunteer to do in-depth reporting for this area...

The Bier Garten is a Bar on Deck 14 that overlooks the pool deck.

It's the same on the Dawn and the Star. A nice bar to people watch aand have a beer or mixed drink.

It's a great location for informal Meet & Greet's. We've done them there before on past sailings.

Here's NCL.com's Description:

Bier Garten

Located on Deck 14; accommodates 143.

Just imagine the Bavarian ambiance at the Bier Garten on the terrace where you can order cocktails, refreshing drinks and of course beer.

Ok, making notes of the requests. FYI, we're not in a suite unfortunately, it's steerage for us, but I will try and gather info from some of the people in our Meet & Greet.

I would say our chances of stopping in Mazatlan are sitting at about 5% right now, so I may not get to do Stone Island again. It's a shame, because we missed Mazatlan the last time we were supposed to go there when Splendor hit the pier jetty in Puerto Vallarta last year and put a hole in the end of the ship. Oh well, the cruise will still be fantastic, so no worries.

DH and I don't always go to the shows, but I will report on those we do go to, and try and get info on others. Perhaps I'll pass out assignments at our M&G and have everyone report back?

It is covered by an awning for the most part. It's a great open air bar at the top of the ship overlooking the pool deck.

Thank you Preds for the info. I think it looks great for our Sail Away Meet N Greet.

Funny that is says "Access to Biergarten" on Deck 13, when the Biergarten itself is on Deck 14.

It's definately a good location for Sailaway M&G's as it has a nice view, open air, and is usually not too busy.

I love sitting up there, but it's often underutilized.

Thank you Preds for the info. I think it looks great for our Sail Away Meet N Greet.

Funny that is says "Access to Biergarten" on Deck 13, when the Biergarten itself is on Deck 14.

The Biergarten can be pretty noisy if the band is loud in the pool area. Pretty hard to carry on a conversation there. A good alternative for sailaway is by the front jacuzzi at the front of deck 14 (Access from deck 13).

The Biergarten can be pretty noisy if the band is loud in the pool area. Pretty hard to carry on a conversation there. A good alternative for sailaway is by the front jacuzzi at the front of deck 14 (Access from deck 13).

Personal opinion I guess. To me that's all part of the ambiance for the sail-away.

I've never found it to be so loud that I couldn't hold a conversation up there.

Oh dear. I hate being close to jacuzzi because the people sitting in them tend to speak loudly over the gurgling water. To each their own.

Personal opinion I guess. To me that's all part of the ambiance for the sail-away.

I've never found it to be so loud that I couldn't hold a conversation up there.

I guess it is the luck of the draw. Last year on four of the six cruises I took on the Star, it was very noisy at the Biergarten.

Schplinky,

Was that at Sail Away that it was noisy? I think any bar is probably going to be on the noisy side. But if you want drinks, it almost has to be at a bar.

We won't be a huge group, so I think we can overcome noise.

It was not me saying the bar was noisy. I think that was swedish weave.

To answer the question at hand --- At sailaway, the band that plays by the pool is very loud most of the time which makes conversation difficult in the area of the Biergarten.

If you are not interested in conversation, that will not be a problem. I suggested an alternative if it is bothersome. If gurgling water bothers you, there are other areas at the front of deck 13 where a group can meet, but there is less traffic near the jacuzzi.

Archived