Is Sky leaving the fleet in the neara future?

steviek49

The Sky is a very profitable ship sailing 2 cruises every week.

I read somewhere that NCL actually does not own the ship but it is a lease. I dont know if that is true or not.

I would not expect the Sky to go anywhere anytime soon. She was recently dry docked and has been updated before when she left Hawaii.

I wish people would post the articles they mention

The Sky is 100% owned by Star Cruises. Star Cruises owns 50% of NCL stock. Apollo Management owns the other 50%. Every other ship in NCL's fleet is 100% owned (if you don't count the banks) by NCL.

So, technically, the Sky has already left NCL's fleet. Star Cruises has the Sky up for sale. A sell could be made at any time. NCL had the Sun on the table too, in case selling both sisters at the same time would make selling the Sky easier.

But, there's been no takers for either ship. NCL is about to commit millions of dollars refurbishing the Sun in the next two drydocks (half life refit). I think NCL has pulled the Sun off the market. The Sky is still up for sell.

The Sky remains in NCL's fleet sailing short cruises from Miami because it can make more money for Star Cruises here than in Asia. NCL shares the profits it makes, while paying Star Cruises for chartering it. Remember, NCL is half owned by Star Cruises, so half the chartering fees and half the profits belong to them.

Looking at the Sky's schedule, it's committed for sailing for NCL until April 2013. So, I wouldn't worry too much about your cruise. ;)

The Sky is 100% owned by Star Cruises. Star Cruises owns 50% of NCL stock. Apollo Management owns the other 50%. Every other ship in NCL's fleet is 100% owned (if you don't count the banks) by NCL.

So, technically, the Sky has already left NCL's fleet. Star Cruises has the Sky up for sale. A sell could be made at any time. NCL had the Sun on the table too, in case selling both sisters at the same time would make selling the Sky easier.

But, there's been no takers for either ship. NCL is about to commit millions of dollars refurbishing the Sun in the next two drydocks (half life refit). I think NCL has pulled the Sun off the market. The Sky is still up for sell.

The Sky remains in NCL's fleet sailing short cruises from Miami because it can make more money for Star Cruises here than in Asia. NCL shares the profits it makes, while paying Star Cruises for chartering it. Remember, NCL is half owned by Star Cruises, so half the chartering fees and half the profits belong to them.

Looking at the Sky's schedule, it's committed for sailing for NCL until April 2013. So, I wouldn't worry too much about your cruise. ;)

WOW

You are a fountain of information

THANKS

:)

Just read on another board that Sky will not be around much longer.

We are booked to cruise on her in APril, 2011.

Any truth to this?

I'm assuming this was the RC newbuild thread. If you keep reading that thread, you will find the person was talking about the Sun leaving Port Canaveral, not the sky leaving the fleet, and had several facts mixed up.

Ive read that ncl was gonna build 2 new ships to be ready for sail in 2013 and 2014 so maybe one of those is the skys replacement?? I dunno But I was on the sky last yr and it was AWESOME would book another trip on the sky again in a heart beat.. And will be on the SUN this yr!!

Thanks for the information.

It's rare that a cruise line will just scrap an itinerary (although Mexican Riviera is proving the exception), more often than not when a ship is sold they put a equal or better ship in to replace it.

RCL recently announced that the Spirit is going to Europe in Fall 2012, so the Star will go to New Orleans, after it's one season in Tampa, and the Dawn will move to Tampa in its place.

With 2 newbuilds coming online in 2013 and 14, and the recent refurb and investment in the Sun, I would expect that NCL would not renew it's lease of the Sky in 2013 or 2014. They would then move the Sun into the Sky's short cruise itinerary.

Not sure what to expect for the Spirit.

The market for old cruise ships does not appear to be very good. Look at the Dream that is still for sale and languishing in Syros.

With 2 newbuilds coming online in 2013 and 14, and the recent refurb and investment in the Sun, I would expect that NCL would not renew it's lease of the Sky in 2013 or 2014. They would then move the Sun into the Sky's short cruise itinerary.

Not sure what to expect for the Spirit.

The market for old cruise ships does not appear to be very good. Look at the Dream that is still for sale and languishing in Syros.

I'll admit I don't know what the future holds. But, NCL has spent millions on the Spirit during the last few drydocks. So, I don't think it'll be going anywhere soon. Europe is a great place to sail the Spirit full time, it almost completely eliminates the problems with her 500 Watts (110 Volt) limitations.

Sit back and think about it a little. NCL has four medium sized ships remaining. Of the Sky, Sun, Spirit, and Pride of America, which one would you send to Europe full time?

I would send the Spirit for the reasons mentioned earlier. The Pride of America was designed and built exclusively for Hawaii, and that's where it sails full time. That leaves the Sky and Sun. While NCL sails the Sky on short cruises from Miami, it is fully owned by Star Cruises. NCL leases the Sky. The Sun is the only medium sized ship that NCL can sail everywhere without difficulties. I don't think it is going anywhere soon.

As for the difficulties selling cruise ships, Star Cruises is sailing the ex-Sea and ex-Wind in Asia. Fred Olsen is sailing the ex-Crown. Louis is sailing the ex-Majesty. Of the recent ships retired from NCL's fleet, the ex-Dream is the only one in limbo. I believe the ex-Dream will be sailing again once the world's economy gets better.

As a side note, the Sky has always been sort of a problem with NCL's Freestyle Cruising. It wasn't built with as many restaurants as all the other NCL ships, even the Spirit initially built for Star Cruises has more. But, it seems to be doing much better with the short cruises to the Bahamas it sails now from Miami. Apparently it has enough variety in restaurants to keep these Freestyle Cruising customers happy.

It would be a shame to get rid of the Sky. Personally I have never sailed on any NCL ships yet, but have friends that have been on the Sky multiple times.

Taking a ship out of the 3/4-day Bahamas region would be a bad choice. I live in S Florida and these cruises are VERY popular among people who want a short get away and newbies to cruises.

If they were to sell it off/ end the lease, they should replace it with a ship comparable to Majesty & Imagination (both of which I have been on and enjoyed). From what I know of, many people spend more on these types of trips compared to 7-nighters.

Please refrain from clogging up the CC boards with rumors heard on CC. I could say that I heard on CC that the Epic sank and everyone on CC would automatically believe it. When someone says "I heard on CC.." it is more than likely false. Please do not believe everything you hear on CC unless you have absolute insurmountable information that you can assure is 110% correct.

The Sky is a HUGE moneymaker for NCL and nothing can be sure of what cruise lines do with ships until NCL itself posts a statement.

Just read on another board that Sky will not be around much longer.

We are booked to cruise on her in APril, 2011.

Any truth to this?

oh heavens before a ship leaves there is usually a year's notice and any referrence to the Sky leaving is simply rumor. You do not have anything to worry about.

Nita

I don't know if that holds water. If NCL has a buyer and they have over capacity. Bye Bye !

certainly you are just guessing at this, and have no knowledge about which ships will leave and when. Right now there has been no announcement or plans in the next year or so to replace any NCL ships. At the earliest it would be after the 2 new ships are finished and sailing.

As for anyone comparing the Sky or Spirit with the Dream, the Dream was not built for freestyle and was more than 12 years old when it was sold. I think we are all just giving opinions here, none of us work for NCL or have any real clue. All I know is, it take at least a couple of years from announcement before a ship is retired from a fleet.

Nita

Please refrain from clogging up the CC boards with rumors heard on CC. I could say that I heard on CC that the Epic sank and everyone on CC would automatically believe it. When someone says "I heard on CC.." it is more than likely false. Please do not believe everything you hear on CC unless you have absolute insurmountable information that you can assure is 110% correct.

The Sky is a HUGE moneymaker for NCL and nothing can be sure of what cruise lines do with ships until NCL itself posts a statement.

While I agree with you about the red statement I'll question you on your 'rumor' - where's your facts to back that up? :rolleyes:

BTW - I happento agree about the Sky but since you didn't post any links or NCL info I thought it was kind of funny.

oh heavens before a ship leaves there is usually a year's notice and any referrence to the Sky leaving is simply rumor. You do not have anything to worry about.

Nita

With regard to the Sky - I agree that I highly doubt there would be any changes in the near term.

However with regard to a ship being 'scheduled' until 2012 - doesn't matter. Look at the Celebrity ship, Mercury. I was scheduled to continue until 2012 and people had cruises booked on the ship. Then in August there was an announcement that the ship was sold and theyy actually had to refund bookings. That ships' last sailing is in February when she joins TUI cruises.

My point is, if a company wants to move/sell one of their ships - they will.

Archived