Gem or Jewel?? Which to choose?

kato92

Both leave out of New York for Florida and the Bahamas. One on Saturdays and 1 on Sundays for 7 days. Haven't been on either ship so am wondering if there is a difference that makes one preferable over the other. No kids involved just adults. What do you think:confused:

Both leave out of New York for Florida and the Bahamas. One on Saturdays and 1 on Sundays for 7 days. Haven't been on either ship so am wondering if there is a difference that makes one preferable over the other. No kids involved just adults. What do you think:confused:

Some info. regarding differences in the Jewel & Gem can be found on this thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1345789

John O'Hara, the housing director for the Jewel, will handle any and all complaints on his ship. When onboard, his phone number is 8888, and he heads the meet and greet meetings for CruiseCritics members.

His ability to resolve complaints in a professional and personal manner is the real deal maker in deciding on going on the Jewel.

John O'Hara, the housing director for the Jewel, will handle any and all complaints on his ship. When onboard, his phone number is 8888, and he heads the meet and greet meetings for CruiseCritics members.

His ability to resolve complaints in a professional and personal manner is the real deal maker in deciding on going on the Jewel.[/quote

John O'Hara is not the Hotel Director on the Jewel now.

If John was still the Hotel Director, he makes a cruise special.

That said, the two ships do have some differences:

The Gem has bowling & the Bliss Lounge. You can get Popcorn in Spinnakers. You can sit in the cafe & at the Mexican place & look over the balcony to watch movies / activities on the big screen in the atrium.

The Jewel has more subtle colors & isn't as gaudy as the Gem. The Jewel also has the Nickelodeon theme, but since you don't have kids I suspect this is a negative not a positive for you.

It's easier to find the photo shop on the Gem & the internet cafe is closer to the heart of things on the Gem. It's quieter on the Jewel.

We're condiering the Gem because it's a Saturday to Saturday voyage so we have Sunday to regroup before heading back to work.

i've been on both and even though I loved the Jewel, I'd go with the Gem for the spa alone. Especially, if you're not spending a bomb on your stateroom. Having the spa pass elevates your cruise experience. IMHO.

either way, i'm sure you'll have a great time!

deb

Archived