Great Stirrup Cay Activities??

RBAlbany

Booked for a Jewel Cruise in July. Noticed there are no excursions offered there on ncl.com. I understand there is a BBQ. I thought I had seen somewhere there is snorkel rental. I also see they are doing some sort of building. Can someone fill me in on what the stroy is? We are thinking of bringing our own shorkel gear and using it there, and in Nassau. Thoughts?

I can't speak to your specific time period but....

You are allowed to bring your own snorkeling equipment onto Great Stirrup Cay, they will make you rent a floatation vest (if you do not already own one). Current price for the vest is $6, don't book the full price excursion (if you bring your equipment), just walk up to the equipment rental place on the island.

As for the island upgrades, they are behind schedule, but there are building a new food complex (large building off to the right when looking at the beach from the water, as well as adding a cove for tender docking (no more beach landings) (to the left of the beach when looking at the water), which will free up more of the beach for swimming. That was supposed to be done by the end of 2010, last pictures anyone posted showed it still under construction. They have the cove dug, they have begun the dock construction, hopefully this will be completed before you go. Last Update claimed total construction/upgrades done by the end of 2011, I am guessing that won't happen, but hopefully the food pavilion and tender docks will be finished before summer (my guess/wish).

Perhaps NCL is re-updating its timeline for GSC excursions, so they took them all down and will make sure to only add the excursions that will be finished by then?

Booked for a Jewel Cruise in July. Noticed there are no excursions offered there on ncl.com. I understand there is a BBQ. I thought I had seen somewhere there is snorkel rental. I also see they are doing some sort of building. Can someone fill me in on what the stroy is? We are thinking of bringing our own shorkel gear and using it there, and in Nassau. Thoughts?

Yes, there is snorkel rental available on the beach. There is a large hut where the equipment is available. They also had jet ski rentals and snorkeling excursions while I was there.

There are two large buildings that have food. The crew brings out a great picnic lunch that includes hot dogs, hamburgers, pizza, salads and desserts. There are many bars and soft drinks available. You can buy Hagen Daas ice cream too. There is a large "straw market" located about 100 yards from the beach.

For additional charge, you can use the monster slide, an inflatable water slide.

I always take my own snorkeling equipment and it saves a lot of money. Even if you have your own equipment, NCL insists that you must have an inflatable vest if you are snorkeling with your own equipment. These can also be rented for about $8 each. I ended up buying my own and after a few times, it paid for itself.

-Jim

Snowing and 25 degrees F in Buffalo today.

it was an "unexpected" stop for us last month at GSC...WONDERFUL BEACH DAY tho...hubby said the snorkling was GREAT go way out by the rocks in front of the beach.

i just played in the sand all day---building my Canyonlands:D

they told us they were to be done by NOV 2011...we are there again in December and hopin the renovation will be complete!

there is a small Straw Market type but the prices we found are very $$$ and no bartering really.

HOPE you ENJOY your day at GSC!!

I have never experience a beach landing tender. How do you get off of the tender? Is there a ramp to the beach?

There is a large ramp at the front of the tender, they get the tender up to shore and drop the ramp.... once the tender port/cove is complete the tenders will go to an actual dock, which will open up more beach area and make tendering more reliable (if the water is too rought at the beach, they might not let guest go to the island because the tenders could get too high onto the beach and not be able to dislodge themselves).

This is also my first time at a company owned island port ... I assume this is going to be my day for relaxing on the beach and snorkeling ... and not much else? We all have our own snorkel equipment, so I guess vest rentals are all we have to pay for extra?

Maybe a dumb question, but since this is an NCL island ... but do you have to pay for food on the island?

food is "bbq" style.. hamburgers, hotdogs, pizza, that kind of stuff. Same as on the ship in the buffet. Additionally, you have the option to return to the ship for your meals (and go back to the island later) if you want.

As for the island (and to my knowledge all of the private cruise company bahamas islands), it will be limited in terms of services....

There are bathrooms, there is the food area (free), a few bars (cost), straw market, snorkeling, an inflatable slide, jetskiing parasailing, beaches and trails, probably some other things I am not thinking of. Nothing to exciting, but much less crowded then a city.

There are a variety of activities... volley ball, table tennis, water slides, snorkeling, beach bbq, kids' games, but given the size of the island and the headcount of the cruise, too few activities for too many people. I think the main activity for the most part is just relaxing. For those seeking adventure, the private beach will be limited. Our party was of the mind set to see new things and do new activities, so we didn't really care for Great Stirrup Cay.

When your ship is anchored at GSC and many are rushing to jump into the tenders to get ashore to grab the a spot on the beach, it's actually very, very nice & quiet on the ship itself.

Been there twice already & have no reason to rush, wait till the afternoon when the sun-baked "red lobsters" had enough fun & began coming back to the ship & if it's less crowded, you can then consider whether to go ashore for a while.

One other time, water & seas too rough - ship skipped GSC & "diverted" straight and we ended up with extra time & overnighted in Nassau, as it's normally just a daylight stopover - that was nice. Much more things to do, on your own or otherwise, once you walk outside the pier terminal - which we prefer.

This is also my first time at a company owned island port ... I assume this is going to be my day for relaxing on the beach and snorkeling ... and not much else? We all have our own snorkel equipment, so I guess vest rentals are all we have to pay for extra?

Maybe a dumb question, but since this is an NCL island ... but do you have to pay for food on the island?

Don't have to pay for food. BTW, we took our own vests. I was able to find them off the internet for $8 each.

Can you share where you found the vest deal? I have been searching for cheap ones (we have the rest of the equipment). I can't find any cheaper than $25:eek:

O.K. just went back to my invoice and we paid more than $8. Not sure where I got that figure. We bought four at $78 and then found a promo code through google so we had got 10 percent off as well as free shipping. This was last September through www.101snorkel.com.

O.K. just went back to my invoice and we paid more than $8. Not sure where I got that figure. We bought four at $78 and then found a promo code through google so we had got 10 percent off as well as free shipping. This was last September through www.101snorkel.com.

Darn it! I was hoping for eight dollar vests! Thanks for checking, anyway! You still got a great deal on them!;)

Darn it! I was hoping for eight dollar vests! Thanks for checking, anyway! You still got a great deal on them!;)

They are very good quality. The same that we have had on all of our snorkeling trips booked through the cruise lines etc.

• 2 weeks later...

We were there 6 years ago and it was the BEST day for all 8 of us! Can't wait to go back in 3 weeks. Does anyone know if the stingrays are still there? Main difference I see from the pictures....the used to have lots and lots of umbrellas....free of charge...all set up waiting for us. Vests were free back then too.

Archived