Jade skipping egypt?

Teechur

I heard today that the current Jade cruise is skipping Egypt due to the protests, and diverting to Istanbul instead. My cruise is not until April, but I am naturally concerned. Any specific information would be appreciated.

BTW, I already know they are doing it for passenger safety.

This thread has posts from people on the Jade right now, with the announced switch to an overnight in Istanbul starting halfway down page 2.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1346066

We were on the Jade in December, and we missed Athens because of political unrest, we went to Iraklion, Crete instead. The cruise after ours went to Athens. These situations are very fluid, there is no way to predict now what it will be like in April, except that it will be different than it is this weekend.

Egypt was an amazing stop. I hope you get to experience it. I have to say though, our stop in Izmir, Turkey really whetted my appetite for more in that country, and if I had to miss Egypt, I would be very thankful that the overnight in Istanbul was substituted.

Well when I went to Egypt on NCL, I only would take the NCL excursion, it was the only time I have taken an excursion by a cruiseline. (cruiseship execursions are way over priced) If they do port in Alexandria, my belief is that one cannot take the chance of doing it on your own, if something goes awry it will be NCL's responsibility to get you back to the ship or some other destination.

Anyway it is something to thing about if you do get to port in alexandria, I took the Jade eastern med december 2009

This thread has posts from people on the Jade right now, with the announced switch to an overnight in Istanbul starting halfway down page 2.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1346066

We were on the Jade in December, and we missed Athens because of political unrest, we went to Iraklion, Crete instead. The cruise after ours went to Athens. These situations are very fluid, there is no way to predict now what it will be like in April, except that it will be different than it is this weekend.

Egypt was an amazing stop. I hope you get to experience it. I have to say though, our stop in Izmir, Turkey really whetted my appetite for more in that country, and if I had to miss Egypt, I would be very thankful that the overnight in Istanbul was substituted.

Thank you, old sole, that thread was just what I wanted to find.

Thanks also to comission 1.

Well when I went to Egypt on NCL, I only would take the NCL excursion, it was the only time I have taken an excursion by a cruiseline. (cruiseship execursions are way over priced) If they do port in Alexandria, my belief is that one cannot take the chance of doing it on your own, if something goes awry it will be NCL's responsibility to get you back to the ship or some other destination.

Anyway it is something to thing about if you do get to port in alexandria, I took the Jade eastern med december 2009

I totally understand your concern here, but as folks can see from the numerous posts on the Ports of Call board/Egypt, zillions of cruise pax (including yours truly just last year) have taken private shore excursions in Egypt without a problem. I appreciate that not everyone's level of comfort about this is the same, and I don't denigrate your point of view in any way, I just wanted to note that it is not shared by everyone, even for the overnight visit to Egypt.

We were on the Jade literally a year ago, having just left Izmir, bound for Egypt. I agree with you -- I'm sorry the Jade is missing Egypt now (sorrier for the Egyptians for what's going on in their country), but am glad NCL has substituted what should be a great port. We too came away from our visit to Izmir thinking we'd like to see more of Turkey.

I totally understand your concern here, but as folks can see from the numerous posts on the Ports of Call board/Egypt, zillions of cruise pax (including yours truly just last year) have taken private shore excursions in Egypt without a problem. I appreciate that not everyone's level of comfort about this is the same, and I don't denigrate your point of view in any way, I just wanted to note that it is not shared by everyone, even for the overnight visit to Egypt.

Turtles, it is always good to hear from someone who had a good experience. I am scheduled to visit Egypt on the Jade later this year. Obviously, I am concerned, but am mostly feeling so badly for those affected right now (I assume/hope things will be quite different in 9 months.)

One of the things that convinced me to go with the private tour I have scheduled is that they guarantee they will get you to the ship. They maintain back up vehicles (since vehicle breakdown is the most common reason for delays) and will arrange for and pay for any expenses incurred in getting you to the ship should you miss it. For such a special trip, I couldn't bring myself to be herded into a big bus with the cruiseline excursion.

I hope the people on the Jade right now have a wonderful time in Istanbul and will have a chance to visit Egypt in the future.

Canadian friends of ours are on the Jade right now, retaking the (AMAZING!) 21 day Jade cruise we did together in Jan/Feb 2009. I know they willl be sad to miss Egypt, especially since they are with a couple who has never been there and they had overnight reservations at Le Meridian Hotel overlooking the Great Pyramid which obviously have to be cancelled. I am sure they will make the best of their two days in Istanbul, however. It is just tough because no one has been able to do any advance planning for that port so I'll bet the internet is overloaded on the Jade with folks scrambling to research and make new plans!

Turtles, it is always good to hear from someone who had a good experience. I am scheduled to visit Egypt on the Jade later this year. Obviously, I am concerned, but am mostly feeling so badly for those affected right now (I assume/hope things will be quite different in 9 months.)

One of the things that convinced me to go with the private tour I have scheduled is that they guarantee they will get you to the ship. They maintain back up vehicles (since vehicle breakdown is the most common reason for delays) and will arrange for and pay for any expenses incurred in getting you to the ship should you miss it. For such a special trip, I couldn't bring myself to be herded into a big bus with the cruiseline excursion.

I hope the people on the Jade right now have a wonderful time in Istanbul and will have a chance to visit Egypt in the future.

Mooder, who are you using for your private tour? I'm starting to plan for my Jade trip in 2012 and my roomie and I are debating private vs ship. She's for ship, I'm thinking private might work. If you don't want to post, my cc email address is madhatterdinners@gmail.com. thanks!

The US State Department has issued a NO TRAVEL to Egypt.

This is absolutely not true. the State Dept has issued an alert for travel to Egypt, not even a warning as of today. But still, better safe than sorry, and unfortunate for the Jade passengers on the ship right now. I feel badly for them, missing such an important stop. but hopefully the unrest/protests will cause some change and this will all be settled soon. nothing you can do but wait right now...

Robin

This is absolutely not true. the State Dept has issued an alert for travel to Egypt, not even a warning as of today. But still, better safe than sorry, and unfortunate for the Jade passengers on the ship right now. I feel badly for them, missing such an important stop. but hopefully the unrest/protests will cause some change and this will all be settled soon. nothing you can do but wait right now...

Robin

(Reuters) - U.S. citizens should postpone non-essential travel to Egypt and Americans who are in the country should stay inside amid violent street demonstrations, the State Department said on Friday.

Come on now this aint info like what is at the buffet, this is important stuff, all information regarding safety in egypt must be accurate.

Mooder, who are you using for your private tour? I'm starting to plan for my Jade trip in 2012 and my roomie and I are debating private vs ship. She's for ship, I'm thinking private might work. If you don't want to post, my cc email address is madhatterdinners@gmail.com. thanks!

I'm using Ramses. Following is the contact info. The only negative reviews (only a couple) I have seen on them concerned the same bad guide. They are hired as independent contractors and Ramses has since pledged not to use that guide. I decided to research reviews for a guide name that consistently receives good reviews since Ramses allows you to select your guide. I asked Ramses to book Karim for me, and they have confirmed that he is confirmed for me.

Mohy H.George

Senior International Sales Executive

Ramses Travel Group of Egypt.

2006 Winner of Egyptian Express Travel Services

Representative Excellence Award

Main office : 120 Taalat Harb,

Alexandria.

Egypt.

Direct Phone : 002/0101189973

Cell n : 002/0102142948

Email:info@ramsestours.com

http://www.ramsestours.com

(Reuters) - U.S. citizens should postpone non-essential travel to Egypt and Americans who are in the country should stay inside amid violent street demonstrations, the State Department said on Friday.

Come on now this aint info like what is at the buffet, this is important stuff, all information regarding safety in egypt must be accurate.

yes, that is the alert... Just making it clear that there are several levels of security alerts, warnings, and embargoes and this is NOT a complete stoppage. there is a current travel alert issued for Europe right now as well. Not saying that NCL should dock, not anyone necessarily travel there for non-essential reasons, just saying that there is NOT a NO TRAVEL TO EGYPT embargo.

Robin

Mooder, we used Ramses last year and were very pleased with their services! We had asked for one of two different guides and confirmed one of the two, but on arrival had a different guide (Usama Othman) who we simply adored! There are very few bad reports on Ramses, and our CC group had seven private and two buses booked through them. They were terrific!

Robin

Mooder, we used Ramses last year and were very pleased with their services! We had asked for one of two different guides and confirmed one of the two, but on arrival had a different guide (Usama Othman) who we simply adored! There are very few bad reports on Ramses, and our CC group had seven private and two buses booked through them. They were terrific!

Robin

Well, it is a little disturbing to hear they switched guides on you. But if I hadn't seen a recent complaint about that one guide I mentioned, I wouldn't have even thought of making a request. The important thing is that you and 99.99% of the reviews I've read have been very positive. Thank you for the report! It wouldn't pay for them to hire guides who don't keep the customer happy considering all the advertising they get through reviews and forums like these.

Do you know where they will stop instead , if need be?

In this case, they are going to Istanbul which I understand is a wonderful port. But it is hard to say they would always be able to make the same substitution.

Istanbul is wonderful, with so much to see and do. Alexandria itself is the pits, so no great loss there. Cairo itself is a dirty, chaotic jumble. If not for the Egyptian Museum and the Pyramids, it would be a place I wouldn't have minded skipping. But I would be heartbroken if this was my once in a lifetime chance to see these wonders, so I do feel for the folks missing their chance.

If the folks diverting to Istanbul can get over the disappointment, they'll have a wonderful time. We were on Jade in 2009 and had to miss Athens due to a general strike shutting everything down, diverting to Nafplion instead. Ancient Corinth as our alternative excursion was interesting, but not hugely. However the cruise did go to Izmir as schedule, and that is the jumping off point for the incredible ruins of Ephesus, which far outshines the Acropolis in Athens anyway.

Alexandria itself is the pits, so no great loss there. Cairo itself is a dirty, chaotic jumble. If not for the Egyptian Museum and the Pyramids, it would be a place I wouldn't have minded skipping. But I would be heartbroken if this was my once in a lifetime chance to see these wonders, so I do feel for the folks missing their chance.

My thoughts exactly, the above was really the reason I booked the East Med cruise (for the pyramids), what an i opener. I was not going to post this first that is for sure, the longterm posters would have lit me up for eternity.

I heard today that the current Jade cruise is skipping Egypt due to the protests, and diverting to Istanbul instead. My cruise is not until April, but I am naturally concerned. Any specific information would be appreciated.

BTW, I already know they are doing it for passenger safety.

U.S. Dept of State is a good reference as to concerns for tourist safety. They just sent out this alert (because I registered my travels at the Med last March):

January 28, 2011

The U.S. Department of State alerts U.S. citizens to ongoing political and social unrest in Egypt. Violent demonstrations on January 28 took place in several areas of Cairo and other parts of the country, disrupting road travel between city centers and airports. Disruptions in communications included the interruption of internet and mobile telephone service. The Government of Egypt has imposed a curfew from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. in Cairo, Alexandria and Suez until further notice. Given this situation, the Department of State urges U.S. citizens to defer non-essential travel to Egypt at this time and advises U.S. citizens currently in Egypt to defer non-essential movement and to exercise caution. This Travel Alert expires on February 28, 2011.

In the event of demonstrations, U.S. citizens in Egypt should remain in their residences or hotels until the situation stabilizes. Security forces may block off the area around the U.S. Embassy during demonstrations, and U.S. citizens should not attempt to come to the U.S. Embassy or the Tahrir Square area at such times. The Embassy duty officer is available to U.S. citizens for emergencies at +20 1 2797-3300 during evening and weekend hours and the American Citizens Services Section can be reached at +20 1 2797-2301 during business hours, Sunday to Thursday from 8:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. and at consularcairoacs@state.gov.

Demonstrations have degenerated on several occasions into violent clashes between police and protesters, resulting in injuries and extensive property damage. While demonstrations have not been directed toward Westerners, U.S. citizens are urged to remain alert to local security developments and to be vigilant regarding their personal security. The U.S. Department of State strongly urges U.S. citizens to avoid all demonstrations, as even peaceful ones can quickly become unruly and a foreigner could become a target of harassment or worse. If caught unexpectedly near a demonstration, U.S. citizens should obey instructions from police and leave the area as quickly as possible. U.S. citizens resident in Egypt should monitor local news broadcasts and U.S. citizen visitors should ask tour guides and hotel officials about any planned demonstrations in the locations they plan to visit. U.S. citizens should carry identification and a cell phone which works in Egypt.

U.S. citizens in Egypt are encouraged to enroll in the Smart Travelers Enrollment Program (STEP) at the following website: https://travelregistration.state.gov. U.S. citizens without internet access may enroll directly at the U.S. Embassy. By enrolling, U.S. citizens make it easier for the Embassy to contact them in case of emergency.

Updated information on travel and security in Egypt may be obtained from the Department of State by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or, for callers outside the United States and Canada, on a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444. For further information, please consult the Country Specific Information for Egypt, as well as the Worldwide Caution.

The Embassy is located at 5 Tawfik Diab Street (formerly known as Latin America Street), Garden City, Cairo. For further information, U.S. citizens may call the Embassy’s American Citizen Services Unit at 2797-2301 during business hours, Sunday to Thursday from 8:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. For emergencies after business hours and on weekends and holidays, U.S. citizens can contact the Embassy Duty Officer via the Embassy switchboard on 2797-3300.

Archived