Is this a good deal?

StayCool

I have been dreaming of taking a cruise FOREVER and finally got the go ahead from my hubby! :D Soooo... we are looking at Carnival Destiny on May 21st, 2011. I have to be very specific because of time off from work. Ugh.

Anyway. I have been looking at rates until my brain hurts and so far the best I've found is a balcony on the Lido deck (I'm hoping for a balcony, but will take and inside cabin, I just want to go!). Total cost including taxes and insurance is: $1520. Does that sound about right? Is there anything I can do to make it cheaper or am I about where I should be? I've never cruised before so I'm kinda clueless here.

Thanks!

I have been dreaming of taking a cruise FOREVER and finally got the go ahead from my hubby! :D Soooo... we are looking at Carnival Destiny on May 21st, 2011. I have to be very specific because of time off from work. Ugh.

Anyway. I have been looking at rates until my brain hurts and so far the best I've found is a balcony on the Lido deck (I'm hoping for a balcony, but will take and inside cabin, I just want to go!). Total cost including taxes and insurance is: $1520. Does that sound about right? Is there anything I can do to make it cheaper or am I about where I should be? I've never cruised before so I'm kinda clueless here.

Thanks!

Well you don't say if that price is for a balcony or an inside cabin. Also how many days is the cruise and does that price include airfare? You can almost always buy travel insurance cheaper on your own instead of the cruise line's insurance.

Give us more information.

It is a 5 night cruise. This was the best price I found for a balcony on the Lido deck. It doesn't include airfare, it is just for the cruise. The travel insurance was $55 per person and that is included in the $1520. I didn't find this price on Carnival's website. They wanted another $200.

I know it will be cheaper to take an inside room but I am really just trying to see if this is a good price for a balcony... TIA

I have heard if you can get an OV cabin for around $100 per person per day person (cruise only) you are doing great! Adjust up or down for IV or balcony. Remember a cruise includes your meals. Where are you going to get that deal on dry land?

Make sure your total figure includes taxes & port charges.

I learned the hard way to factor in transportation costs to the port (airfare, parking or car service etc), suggested tips & estimates of on board spending into the equation just I have a sense of the overall costs. I learned that lesson the hard way after my $236 pp cruise ended up costing me over $1,500. :eek:

So at $1,520 for 2 people for 7 days you are around $108 per person per day for your cruise before transporation, tips & on board expenses. Sounds great especially if you are getting your balcony for that price.

It is a 5 night cruise. This was the best price I found for a balcony on the Lido deck. It doesn't include airfare, it is just for the cruise. The travel insurance was $55 per person and that is included in the $1520. I didn't find this price on Carnival's website. They wanted another $200.

I know it will be cheaper to take an inside room but I am really just trying to see if this is a good price for a balcony... TIA

I priced this and a balcony cabin on Upper deck is $1400 for the 2 of you. That includes taxes & fees. I think this is a good price for a balcony. Is there a particular reason you want to be on Lido deck because the price is less on a lower deck. Also $55 pp for insurance seems like alot.

Thanks Trish! I just wanted to make sure I was in the right ballpark. I figure it is going to cost me about $600 to fly down, $125 for tips for the week, a hotel room the night before plus transport to and from the port. The rest will all depend on what I want to do. :) Sooo exciting!

No particular reason that we have to be on Lido deck. It was just what was available on the website at the time. The only thing I am worried about is that my husband is a light sleeper so I need to make sure we aren't a room below or above something noisy. I'm not sure where else to check for insurance though.

I just did a quick search on an on-line travel site I regularly use. An 8D balcony (on the Lido deck) using Early-Saver rates is $1,430.00 USD. So, if the rate you've got isn't Early-Saver, it's probably about the best you're going to do. I'm guessing it DOES NOT include any insurance or airfare.

Is it a good deal? :rolleyes: Well, it seems that May prices are pretty high; we paid less than $100.00 more for an 8C AND a 4G inside right across the hall when we took the Destiny's Eastern 5 Day on October 18, 2010. Cruise pricing is seasonal and you pretty much pay what they're asking if you can't be flexible with your dates. Demand also plays a big role and prices will often drop (or increase!) as the sail date approaches based on how the ship is selling.

If you're bound and determined to sail that ship on that date I'd recommend booking under the Early Saver rate. That way, if the prices drop you are guaranteed to receive the price difference as an OBC.

Also, if the cost is a big concern and you actually think you would be fine in an inside (we've sailed both and we would definitely take an inside rather than not go!) then book a 4G. The price on Early Saver is $990.00 including taxes. $400.00 is nothing to sneeze at for some of us. You could always then upgrade to a balcony if the prices drop nearer to sailing.

One last piece of advice: Once you make a decision STOP SHOPPING! If you second guess yourself you'll go crazy with the way prices fluctuate. Check your sailing regularly for the price drops if you book Early Saver, but other than that, just don't look. And whatever you do, DON'T ask anyone on the ship what they paid for their cruise :p! LOL.

Happy Sails,

Annette

No particular reason that we have to be on Lido deck. It was just what was available on the website at the time. The only thing I am worried about is that my husband is a light sleeper so I need to make sure we aren't a room below or above something noisy. I'm not sure where else to check for insurance though.

If your husband is a light sleeper than get a cabin with other cabins above and below. You don't want the disco right above you!!

Look here for insurance: http://www.insuremytrip.com

Thanks everyone! I'm wavering on the cost only because this is kind of a make up trip for the last few years. Think honeymoon, 2 graduations etc. I know I could go cheaper with an inside cabin, but realistically I haven't been on a vacation in years and I probably won't be going again anytime soon. So this has to hold me over for a while!

I really appreciate everyone's help!

Stay Cool,

Follow your first mind. This is your vacation and this is making up for a few missed things. Its a great price and the balcony stateroom on this ship is the best way to go. Think coffee in the AM, nightcaps in the late evening, with your own personal view. Enjoy it, you deserve it:D

Thanks everyone! I'm wavering on the cost only because this is kind of a make up trip for the last few years. Think honeymoon, 2 graduations etc. I know I could go cheaper with an inside cabin, but realistically I haven't been on a vacation in years and I probably won't be going again anytime soon. So this has to hold me over for a while!

Go for the balcony; you won't regret it.

I was in the same boat as you when we booked our 2008 cruise. I hadn't been on a vacation since 1997 and that vacation was on the Destiny in an OV #1139 (see cruise history below). I loved the view - but decided to go for a balcony on the Caribbean Princess L301 - on the Lido deck. I justified 11 years and no vacation - well worth the extra$$. And it was. Lido deck is a great location - you won't regret the balcony - enjoy. I cannot take as many vacations as I would like so we always go balcony on cruises.

By the way IMO, if you are 35+, $55pp for insurance sounds reasonable if it includes the coverage of all non-refundable expenses (air/cruise fares) and has the medi-vac, etc. We are in our 40's and got the coverage we needed for $60pp.

I did it! I booked it. Room 9203 on the Lido deck. I'm excited and nervous all at once. :eek: The balcony is a surprise for my hubby because he thinks we are getting an inside room in the bottom of the ship. lol Now I have to find airfare and a hotel to stay in the night before the cruise. And then excursions... I'm soooo excited (and still nervous!)!!! :D I really appreciate everyone's help and advice. Thanks!

I did it! I booked it. Room 9203 on the Lido deck. I'm excited and nervous all at once. :eek: The balcony is a surprise for my hubby because he thinks we are getting an inside room in the bottom of the ship. lol Now I have to find airfare and a hotel to stay in the night before the cruise. And then excursions... I'm soooo excited (and still nervous!)!!! :D I really appreciate everyone's help and advice. Thanks!

First cruise is the BEST. Just curious as to why you are choosing a 5 day cruise, flight and hotel costs when you can cruise from NY, most likely the same price or cheaper. Its a great thing not to have to fly! :D

WTG! Hope you enjoy the cruise. One bit of caution and please take this seriously - you might just become addicted.;) Most of us on CC did. Also, if you booked through ES - watch for prices to go down so either your final payment will be less or for the OBC after final payment.

The balcony is a surprise for my hubby because he thinks we are getting an inside room in the bottom of the ship. Thanks!

I did this to my family once. They all thought we had an inside but as we walked down the hallway my son noticed the numbers and started saying "mom, I think they made a mistake, DH kept insisting that they must change down the hall. Wasn't till they opened the door and walked around that I finally said 'surprise' thought it was time for our first balcony.

Your husband will love you!

I can't wait until he sees the balcony. :D I just hope I can keep my mouth shut!! lol I think that being addicted to cruising would be great. I have been wanting to travel forever but my hubby wants relaxing vacations. So this fits both of our needs. I need to see things. He needs to just chill. We're both going to be happy now.

So now airfare is booked. Does anyone have any suggestions for a hotel the night before? We aren't going to rent a car because it just doesn't make sense so I would like a room that is near some restaurants and possibly shopping. We will fly in at 11:30 am so we will have all day.

Thanks! :D :D :D

Check out the Florida departures board under the North American Ports - you probably will see lots of advise on what you are looking for as far as hotels and shopping areas. And then you might want to check out the Caribbean board under ports of call as well for ideas on shore excursions.

Thanks!

I believe the price of the cruise is based on many factors including itinerary, days at sea, newness of ship, date and , of course, cabin. Personally, I prefer new ships, less days at sea, and eastern or southern Caribbean, but I am sure others prefer different items. I would trade a balcony for an inside if it would get me more days at sea. I m not sure your vacation time permits this. Have fun!!!

If you get addicted to cruising like the rest of us, don't let the temperature in NYC scare you away. We sailed out of NYC with Norwegian in April a couple of years ago and it was beautiful. The NYPD helicopters were flying around the ship, they sang a beautiful song as we sailed past the statue of liberty, it was an awesome sunny day. The first day was at sea and we were able to lay out by the pool and the next day arrived in Port Canaveral and it was beautiful!

Enjoy your cruise!

Archived