Bermuda or B2B Bahama????

Hi everyone. I have been reading all reviews on both ships and ports. Want to see your thoughts. I have a 5 night Bermuda cruise booked for May 21 on Explorer an aft corner balcony. (I know when I booked it I was so excited!) Now I am thinking we could save $1000 and do a b2b on Majesty leaving either May 13 or May 16 for a total of 7 nights going to Nassau, Cococay, Key West and Nassau again.

We have never had a balcony. The Majesty would be an interior gty. I know it is an extra 2 nights. More ports doing the b2b and I think it would be cool to be on the ship before everyone else! We have never done a b2b. I have been to Nassau a few years ago with Disney and we just went to Key West and wouldn't mind going again!

I am looking for your suggestions. Both ports we would have to fly to airfare is about the same (both are 12 hours of driving from our house and I am tired of driving everywhere so flying is what we are doing). I have even considered changing our balcony room on explorer to an interior but I would only save about $400 total. I am also afraid it might be too chilly to enjoy our balcony since we will be going out of NJ and then I would feel like I wasted my money.

My husband says I have the ultimate say so, but not to complain when we don't have a lot of money left! I just would hate to give up that balcony and nice features explorer has like promenade, ice rink and other fun things the Majesty doesn't have. We were on Navigator last year and loved it. We tried Carnival Imagination in Nov and hated it! I am afraid Majesty won't be much better than the imagination and we wouldn't have as good of time.

I know there will be more cruises to Bermuda and more chances to get an aft corner balcony in the future like when I am a pharmacist after I get done with school and money won't be as much of an issue!

What do you all think I should do?!

We sailed on the Majesty for our honeymoon in 1993 and it was brand new at the time. It was beautiful(from what I can remember). We are sailing on the Explorer this July for the 9 night Eastern caribbean. Based on what you have said in your post, I would stick with the 5 nights on the Explorer. A balcony, Bermuda, bigger ship with more amenities, all good reasons in my opinion, to choose Explorer.

Also, as far as the B2B and being on the ship before everyone else....is that how it works? Doesn't everyone have to disembark? I'm sure someone else will post an answer for this, I have no idea. Good luck, whatever you choose!:)

I'm going to have to agree with the other posters. Since you have to fly either way, take the nicer ship, with more amenities, the Explorer. If money is an issue, downgrade to the inside. $400 is nothing to sneeze at. It could pay for some excursions in Bermuda or charges on the ship.

IMO Bermuda beats the Bahamas hands down.

But if you're going to go to Bermuda the Explorer only stays less than 2 days and you only get a 5 night cruise. It's just not enough time to enjoy

Bermuda.

Consider going on the RCI Celebrity Summit out of Cape Liberty instead.

You get a 7 night trip with 3 days in Bermuda. Other CC posters say it's a beautiful ship. Just doesn't have all the bells and whistles of Explorer. If you're going to go to the expense of flying you might as well take a step up.

You may have to change to an oceanview for cost reasons. Having sailed from NY May 19 in 1990 to Bermuda I can tell you that the first morning out on the ocean is usually what you would call "brisk" so you may not be able to make full use of the balcony anyway. Plus you will be in port for 3 days so you will be out exploring Bermuda.

Other alternatives include HAL Veendam and NCL Dawn from NYC. But my first suggestion for you is Go Celebrity

Bermuda, Bermuda, Bermuda, but try looking at the Veendam (Holland American) leaves out of NYC, does 7 nights to Bermuda with 4 days in Bermuda. It also docks in Hamilton and tenders in St George (much better than the dock yard that all big ships need to use in Bermuda). In any case BERMUDA does make the most sense if you are looking for a fantastic island experience. Explorer of the Seas is a great ship, I just wish they would do 7 day cruises to Bermuda!

I did a B2B on Majesty over Thanksgiving ... it's not that exciting. You are on the ship for an hour or so with only crew ... but they are all busily trying to prepare for the next week, nothing is open ... we spent the time sitting on deck out of the way. It was fine, but nothing to be excited about.

As for the itinerary, I love Key West as a port, but the Bahamas is not a place I enjoy visiting once, let alone twice. If there is stuff in Nassau you are looking forward to, that would be different ....

Thanks everyone! I really wasn't looking forward to going to Bahamas. I am happy at the overwhelming responses to keep Bermuda. I think we will go ahead and keep our original reservation. I talked to my husband and we are thinking about not flying so that will cut the cost. The only time I have flown was to the Disney cruise but everything was handled but Make a Wish (and I was like 14) and I have never been to NJ before so trying to get everything worked out and making sure we have a hotel before the cruise since I wouldn't want to fly in the day of and getting to and from the airport might just be too stressful and cost more than it is worth. And I already have included the tips in the cost of the cruise so the only thing we would have to pay for would be our fun on the ship..maybe just a few drinks we don't drink too much. From what I have read it looks like Bermuda is easy to tour on your own. The ships excursions are a lot. I have always booked a ship excursion mainly I was worried about missing the ship, but if we do the things that are not so near to the ship the day we are there overnight we won't have to worry about missing the ship and the day we leave just kind of stay close by. It seems like there is soo much to do there that we will probably have to go back for another cruise.

Glad you picked Bermuda -- you will love it. No need to spend costly money on excursions. If your ship is docked at the Royal Dockyard on the West End, take the bus (very nice, cheap) directly to Horsehoe Bay (incredible beach) and/or the high-speed ferry to Georgetown (the original capital, wonderful historic village) or Hamilton for shopping, restaurants etc. I love Royal Caribbean but for Bermuda we did a 7-night cruise on NCL's Dawn out of New York, which docks there for three days. We did everything I mentioned above plus snorkeling and a tour of the incredible fort at the Royal Dockyard, all on our own and at small expense. The restaurants on Bermuda are expensive though. I've cruised to the Bahamas and there is no comparison for the total experience! Have a great cruise!

Archived