Radiance of the Seas Gratuities

Hi folks. I am taking a cruise from Sydney to Honolulu in April 2012, and am wondering if tipping/gratuities are compulsory with Royal Caribbean? Are they added to my on-board account? Can they be removed? We prefer to tip our own personal wait staff.

Any other tips/comments about this ship would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

- Tex

Hi folks. I am taking a cruise from Sydney to Honolulu in April 2012, and am wondering if tipping/gratuities are compulsory with Royal Caribbean? Are they added to my on-board account? Can they be removed? We prefer to tip our own personal wait staff.

Thanks for your help.

- Tex

Hi Tex, here is the link to the roll call for your sailing Radiance April 5, 2012 Koala Kruisers - Sydney to Honolulu

Why not join in the fun and planning by stopping by and introducing yourself. The folks that are participating are wonderful and will answer any/all of your quesitons.

I understand that folks from Australia don't quite understand our policy for gratuities because it is not practiced in your country. Your pay scale is slightly higher than over here in the US.:o

Effective July 1, 2011, The suggested guidelines are $11.65pp per day and are broken down as follows:

$5.00 - Housekeeping Staff (cabin attendant & assistant)

$3.75 - Waiter

$2.15 - Assistant Waiter

$0.75 - Head Waiter

You will receive envelopes in your cabin the night before debarkation where you can include your gratuity and then hand these envelopes to the folks that personally attended to you throughout your cruise.

Here is a thread that I started on our most favorite ship Radiance of the Seas.....Past - Present - Future

Here is another link to what is being done to Radiance of the Seas when she enters dry dock in May of 2011.

I do wish you a wonderful cruise on our most favorite ship.

Wow! Thank you for all the amazing information. I have since started reading the dedicated thread.

Thanks again,

-Tex

Yes! Please join us. We have quite a few people from Australia on the roll call and sailing. :)

Thanks for your help.

- Tex

We have friends from Gold Coast who have told us that when booking a cruise in Australia with RCI, the tips are always added on to the fare as a requirement of booking. This is because Australians don't have a culture of tipping as we do in the USA. You may want to check with whoever you booked with to see for sure if this is the case - your travel agent or Royal Caribbean.

You will receive vouchers and an envelope to hand to your wait staff and of course you may add more to it if you think their service was great as it probably will be. :)

All I know is what my Aussie friends have told us - so go ahead and check to be sure.

Gina

If you don't "pre-pay" tips or do My Time Dining, your tips will be in cash at the end of the cruise at your discretion. They will deliver envelopes and a sheet with the "suggested" tip amount so you'll know what's expected. Then, it's up to you!

If you don't "pre-pay" tips or do My Time Dining, your tips will be in cash at the end of the cruise at your discretion. They will deliver envelopes and a sheet with the "suggested" tip amount so you'll know what's expected. Then, it's up to you!

It's not always that way when cruises are booked in other countries. I think they are added to the cruise fare.

We have friends from Gold Coast who have told us that when booking a cruise in Australia with RCI, the tips are always added on to the fare as a requirement of booking.

It's only done that way with a few agencies, not with all here (aside from the MyTime requirements which are universal).

Archived