Anyone bag lunches or snacks from the ship's offerings to take on excursions?

For years in Cozumel, it was the Red Palm Mite (HUGE sign as you walked off the ship) .

Now I don't know what a Red Palm Mite is....but if Cozumel doesn't want it .

Here ya go

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/orn/palms/red_palm_mite.htm

The one and only place I've ever carried non-pre-packaged food off a ship was in Key West. We embarked in Florida the previous day, the goods were loaded in Florida, and we were still in Florida.

Itinerary offered us a whopping five hours in KW, and I chose not to spend any of that time in a restaurant.

When outside the US, I would never consider taking anything off the ship.

We were detained in the Dome in Long Beach while they looked for a couple who left the ship early on a sea day. Waited many hours, finally getting aboard at 6pm. We had some food (cheese & crackers & Pringles) with us and the only stuff off the ship was WATER. The Paradise loads up in Long Beach and nothing was allowed off.

I take a few boxes of cereal with me off the ship. Anything prepackaged is a safe bet. ..............

I don't know about the Caribbean ports, but in the Pacific ports, there are signs as you exit the ship about not taking any fruits off the ships and there are inspectors in Cabo San Lucas checking the bags as you get to the port.

*Stepping on my soapbox now*

I'm sorry that you think that some of us are "holy" on this subject. But when you live in an area that has insect infestations that are caused by people bringing in restricted items and then getting aerial sprayed to rid the areas of these insects, you will be singing another tune. Sometimes us Californians don't even know what we can/can't bring in to the state (One time at the ag inspection station at the CA/OR border, we were asked if we had any grapes. All other fruit was okay though.)

So, please, if you are asked/told that you can't bring open food onto shore, then don't. There is a reason for it, even if you don't agree with it.

*Stepping off my soapbox now*

What Rosefloater neglected to say was that SoCal was sprayed with Malathion by plane and helicopter. Must have happened 6 times or so. Animals needed to be brought inside. Everything outside covered (cars, swingsets, patio furniture, etc), airvents closed. No airconditioning. Next morning needed to scrub everything down because Malathion is very sticky.

We're going to be on longer excursions this time with a three-year-old. Just wondering whether anyone has tips or advice for bagging lunches or snacks from the ship's offerings to take on excursions?

You can't take fruit off of the ship, right? Does Carnival have individual little boxes of cereal? I was thinking those might be a good for a three-year-old to munch on. I was thinking I could bring some Ziploc bags with us and pack up a few other things.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

-pitterpattershoppe

There are no "tips". Bringind food off the ship is prohibited. This info will be found in your Funtimes...and on very large signs in the gangway area. You'll also see nice large trash bins where you will be aksed to drop your sammies, fresh fruit, pizza or anything else ou have.

Youi can take pre-packaged foods such as crackers, cookies, chips, granola, etc....

It's not as if you're going trekking through the jungle. If you little one gets hungry ashore...buy her a sandwich.

It's not as if you're going trekking through the jungle. If you little one gets hungry ashore...buy her a sandwich.

Most logical statement in this whole thread. I don't understand why that's a big deal. I bring a Kashi bad with me when I go on shore, and if I need more than that before going back to the ship, I get something at the beach/on the tour. I've never had an excursion that didn't either provide food or have a place to get food.

An example of a tip might be...you can pick up some pre-packaged cookies at the cookie bar on deck seven. They're only available there and are kind of hiding off to the side. Or, whatever...that kind of thing. Something I might not notice or think of on my own. Or, maybe that one of the buffets offers juice boxes. I think they had milk cartons on NCL. Or, maybe room service offers a bagged lunch to take off of the ship. Or, whatever.

I haven't been on a Carnival ship in over ten years.

We won't be buying food from any ole street vendor or tour operator. I am quite aware of food poisoning, food toxins and parasites. Locally bottled water can come straight from the tap anywhere without any further processing. Heck, this occurs in the States...there are all kinds of contaminants in our bottled water. Local foods are prepared with local water. Specific food toxins are not killed by cooking. Anyway, it's not worth it to us to feed our 3-year-old something that might contaminated. Seriously, some food-related diseases/parasites can screw you up for life.

-pitterpattershoppe :D

There are no "tips". Bringind food off the ship is prohibited. This info will be found in your Funtimes...and on very large signs in the gangway area. You'll also see nice large trash bins where you will be aksed to drop your sammies' date=' fresh fruit, pizza or anything else ou have.

Youi can take pre-packaged foods such as crackers, cookies, chips, granola, etc....

It's not as if you're going trekking through the jungle. If you little one gets hungry ashore...buy her a sandwich.[/quote']

An example of a tip might be...you can pick up some pre-packaged cookies at the cookie bar on deck seven. They're only available there and are kind of hiding off to the side. Or, whatever...that kind of thing. Something I might not notice or think of on my own. Or, maybe that one of the buffets offers juice boxes. I think they had milk cartons on NCL. :D

Iv already said the only prepacked foods are crackers and cereal, other than buying snacks or bringing your own.

Milk would go bad in most ports if you choose to take it off, so I did not include it in the choices.

Sounds like you have your mind made up not to add to the local economies you will be visiting. Thats your choice... and everytime someone then suggests that you bring bars from home, you ignore their suggestions and start talking about other choices. Things like guacamole have to be made fresh .. but I can tell you wouldnt eat them.. but no sense to keep asking if there are more things that are free and prepackaged as many have already answered you on this. Cookies are made on the ship, so they would not have any reason to package up their own food and seal it..

For years in Cozumel, it was the Red Palm Mite (HUGE sign as you walked off the ship) .

Now I don't know what a Red Palm Mite is....but if Cozumel doesn't want it on their island...then as a guest...I will be respectful.

One thing I noticed on our last 6 cruises since October 1st .... the searching of backpacks at every port. (and a table with fruits etc on it taken from backpacks)

I have never seen that done as consistantly as I did on these last cruises.

We have a special needs son who will only eat certain things. We plan our day accordingly to be back on the ship for him to eat. BUT just in case, I always carry box cereal from Lido and granola bars, potato chips, peanut butter crackers in the package that I bring from home....etc.

Also something to think about....when people discuss carrying sandwiches off into port....IF it is a hot day .... things can get iffy pretty quickly...prepackaged foods prevents that as well.

Good advice...looks like I will be on the same cruise with you in April 2012 - to Hawaii (only a mere 437 days).

That's ok...I have a thick skin. I did try searching for such a topic beforehand, but I must not have searched with the correct terms because I came up empty.

I'm really just looking for information. This will be our third cruise, second with our daughter. I'd like to be prepared one way or another.

-pitterpattershoppe

Have seen a lot of people bring cereal off the ship more than a few times..you should be fine doing that

When we were going to Belize, I knew that our tour was all day. We were one of the first tenders out and made it back just in time. I brought packages from home. I got little packs that had beef stick, cheese, and crackers. I also brought granola with nuts and dried berries, etc. I also brought bottled water. My family ate this on the bus on the way back to the ship.

Maggie

I have noticed more signage and bag checks recently. In Cozumel a few weeks ago the searches appeared to be random, but everyone was asked if they had fruit or unpackaged food when debarking.

As an interesting side note, when we sailed in May from Baltimore our first port was Port Canaveral - going from one U.S. port to another. There were still HUGE signs and amnesty bins for fruits and we were asked several times by agriculture agents in the port building if we had fruits or vegetables. It didn't matter to them if we'd come from a U.S. port - we were on a foreign flagged ship that had been in international waters so they still didn't allow anything off.

Guess you haven't traveled to California.

They have checkpoints on every highway into the state. You must pass through an agricultural inspection and they will check everything if they suspect you have anything at all.

Most logical statement in this whole thread. I don't understand why that's a big deal. I bring a Kashi bad with me when I go on shore, and if I need more than that before going back to the ship, I get something at the beach/on the tour. I've never had an excursion that didn't either provide food or have a place to get food.

I don't get it anyway. Why would you prefer bringing food off the ship when most ports have dozens of places to eat that are quiete safe..and reasonably price.

Heck, the ONLY reason I get off in Cozumel is to have lunch at Pancho's Backyard.

Same at Cayman....lunch at Breezes, on the upstairs terrace, overlooking the harbor and the main street....or driving out to Rum Point for the great burgers on the beach....

I don't get it anyway. Why would you prefer bringing food off the ship when most ports have dozens of places to eat that are quiete safe..and reasonably price.

Heck' date=' the ONLY reason I get off in Cozumel is to have lunch at Pancho's Backyard.

Same at Cayman....lunch at Breezes, on the upstairs terrace, overlooking the harbor and the main street....or driving out to Rum Point for the great burgers on the beach....[/quote']

Thats one of the reasons I do travel...to sample local fare! Ive already got my food places lined up for my cruise in Sept! :D

An example of a tip might be...you can pick up some pre-packaged cookies at the cookie bar on deck seven. They're only available there and are kind of hiding off to the side. Or, whatever...that kind of thing. Something I might not notice or think of on my own. Or, maybe that one of the buffets offers juice boxes. I think they had milk cartons on NCL. Or, maybe room service offers a bagged lunch to take off of the ship. Or, whatever.

We won't be buying food from any ole street vendor or tour operator. I am quite aware of food poisoning, food toxins and parasites. Locally bottled water can come straight from the tap anywhere without any further processing. Heck, this occurs in the States...there are all kinds of contaminants in our bottled water. Local foods are prepared with local water. Specific food toxins are not killed by cooking. Anyway, it's not worth it to us to feed our 3-year-old something that might contaminated. Seriously, some food-related diseases/parasites can screw you up for life.

At the ports, Carnival has subsidized a very nice harbor area serving perfectly good food, serving perfectly good water..quite safe to eat and drink.

Even in most of the towns, you're fine. I wouldn't buy from street vendors in town but any nice resaturant is goind to be safe to eat from.... The only caution in town I would consider would be to drink bottled water....most have the same brands sold in the US.

The most I will bring off the ship with me is a pre packaged and sealed granola bar type thing, and then only if Im on a tour that doesnt include lunch, or have time to check out a local restaurant. I love island/Caribbean food and look forward to trying something local. And I have enjoyed the local food in Cozumel many times and also Costa Maya twice as well as many other Caribbean ports of call, and have never gotten ill from it. So the last thing I would want to do bring food off the ship. Also it would sit in your backpack or tote bag in that heat all day, so all around not a good idea. JMHO:)

The ports that do not want you to bring in unpackaged foods would prefer that you not put their 3 year olds at risk by introducing bugs/parasites that are not normally found there.

The best way to protect your child and the children in the ports you are visiting, is to bring a few prepackaged items from home and then everyone will be safe.

The only real tip on board is that you can get some small boxes of fruit loops at the breakfast buffet and they are prepackaged so are also considered safe. They also have cheese balls in a sealed package at the gift shop. They also sell bottled water on board that you can take, or canned soda.

Does anyone know if I can bring an empty water bottle from home and fill it will water and ice to take off the ship?

Yes you can.

Be careful you can also get food poisoning on a cruise ship......

It sometimes confuses me why people think food in other countries is unsafe and contaminated with pesticides and bacteria ECT. It might surprise you that many other countries have higher food standards than Canada or the US. Canada and the US are not even close to the top of the list when it comes to food safety. It somewhat makes sense to me that we have a false sense of security of what food we eat back home because we like to think "home" is safe, but if you talk to anyone that works for public health inspections they will tell you even back home it is hit or miss.

Use the same judgement you have when you are at home, if the restaurant looks sketchy and has little to no customers there might be a reason.

Thats one of the reasons I do travel...to sample local fare! Ive already got my food places lined up for my cruise in Sept! :D

Me Too.

Heck, I can have a ham sandwich at home.....

I'm sort of a foodie and love trying different foods and different cafes and restaurants.

Nothing is better to me that lunch at Panchos with the best freshly made food, huge Margaritas, a big bowl of fresh made guacamole while listening to those 2 old men play the Marimba their grandfather made. Beautiful view, cool and a pleasurable meal.

Reminds you that you've truly left home and moved into a completely different environment.

One of my best cruise memories was in Barbados many years ago. A friend and I were walking a beach..not too crowded...and ran into a family cooking flying fish on an open grill. They are very small once all the trimmings have been removed so they serve 6/7 of them at a time. Cooked quickly on the grill, served with local tomatoes and grilled plantains....wonderful.. And, was 2.00!!!

I agree with trying new foods where ever I go. Can you imagine Carnivals food bill if everybody took 1 box of cereal off at every port. That is why by the end of the cruise my kids can't get fruit loops, because they are out. If I can't afford to eat at the ports I just wont cruise. and yes I have little kids that eat at the ports.

Archived