Voyager WC - Regent Have Dropped The Ball

room010

Hi

Fortunately you are based in the USA and RSSC have HQ in Florida USA. This makes life very simple at that end as many TA's would know about RSSC and can access them easily as you could.

However, being located where we are(14 1/2 hours by plane from LAX) the local consolidators for RSSC in Australia(there is now only one as one was dropped at end of 2010) are ignorant of what RSSC can do etc and it takes a minimum of 72 - 96 hours to get feedback and even then the question is not answered fully.

This consolidator also does the reservations for some 30 other cruise lines from around the world so how would they know and deal with everything effectively.

Going direct we get an instantaneous response and what we want.

If going direct works for you at this time, I'm sure no one has a problem with that. However, just wanted you to know that being located in the U.S. is not a guarantee of good service. Only Travel Agents with luxury cruise experience -- specifically with Regent are able to provide the service that all of us expect. You might be surprised at how many TA's in the states are clueless when it comes to luxury cruising since 90+% of their bookings are for mainstream cruise lines.

IMO, the best choice for many outside of the U.S. is to find an experirenced TA in the U.S. When we fly to Australia to embark on a cruise, Regent books us on regular airlines . . . not consolidators. Really hope that you give a competent TA a try. No matter where you live, you should be able to have excellent service from your TA.

Cyclone facts from someone on the ground. This very serious and large cyclone has done no structural damage in Cairns. I repeat, no structural damage. There is tree damage with broken branches etc but that is already largely cleared away. A large number of houses are without power and this is being restored quickly. The wharf area, the central areas of the town and all tourist facilities that Voyager passengers are likely to visit are in perfect working order. Trips to the reef are resuming. In Townsville there is some damage along the foreshore but this is minor in the overall scheme of things. There are water and electricity problems too which will be resolved in the next few days.

In areas between the two ports, which are roughly 240 miles apart, there is considerable damage from this monster cyclone. Towns and farming areas are devastated. So we in Cairns dodged a bullet.

For those coming on Voyager you can get back to anticipating a great Australian leg to the cruise. (Unless there is another one of course :D:rolleyes:)

Turtlemichael, thanks for the update about the aftermath from Cyclone Yasi. That is the most complete information I have seen. We look forward to visiting both Cairns and Townsville on our upcoming Sydney-Beijing cruise.

I again second Travelcat's comments about finding a US-based TA. Our friends in Noosaville always use our TA. She is an expert about Regent and other luxury cruise lines, and you save money over booking directly with Regent.

Thanks turtlemichael - we soft southerners have to rely on Channel 9 and Sky news for our information and it's often, ahem, inaccurate. Otherwise it wouldn't be a good news story, right? :D Hearing stories of "atomic devastation" should obviously be taken with a very large pinch of salt but even so it's nice to get a more objective and factual perspective from someone who isn't trying to talk up a story. Thank you.

9 days until embarkation and I admit I still feel I'm driving this one. Reminders to the TA to get our passports/visas back from the Chinese consulate. The visas should have been applied for months ago when we booked. Still no paperwork from Regent - nothing. Our Beijing hotel (Regent's choice of The Gate Marriott) will allow us to check in early on disembarkation day but it's up to us to negotiate a later checkout as our flight back to Oz departs at 10pm the next day. We are obliged to use the hotel because it won't waive the 100% cancellation fee when we tried to change hotels once we knew it wasn't what we'd have chosen. As compensation Regent says it will offer a driver/car for our 2 day stay in Beijing but is vague about who's paying for it. I have a feeling it won't be Regent :( Or maybe I'm too cynical.

I think we are victims of a double whammy here - the (usually excellent) TA hasn't been her usual efficient self, and Regent have been very slack in providing information, documentation, communication and a general "feel good" factor.

Good grief, my posts make me sound like a really high maintenance whinger and seriously I'm not. I understand that glitches can happen in even the best run organisations but I've cruised with mass market operators and have to say I didn't ever feel I had to keep my finger on the pulse like I have with Regent. Nevertheless I am going into this cruise with my usual Glass Half Full approach (and believe me, it WILL always be half full).

room010: Can't wait until you can finally board the ship and leave the aggrevation that you have been through behind you. When you decide that you love Regent (and I believe you will), trying booking it this way next time.

1. Ask people on the ship who they use. You can find a great TA in the states and work with them via email (or telephone).

2. Deviate on the airfare. Pay the $200 -- find your own flights and have your TA submit your request to Regent. If you find air carriers that are in the STAR Alliance like United, etc., Regent will usuallly approve them. This gets you out of the consolidator mess.

The worst that will happen with the above scenario is that you will have to arrange your own transportation from the airport to the ship and back again. Still, this is much easier than what you have been through.

Safe Travels!

2. Deviate on the airfare. Pay the $200 -- find your own flights and have your TA submit your request to Regent. If you find air carriers that are in the STAR Alliance like United, etc., Regent will usuallly approve them. This gets you out of the consolidator mess.

The worst that will happen with the above scenario is that you will have to arrange your own transportation from the airport to the ship and back again. Still, this is much easier than what you have been through.

Safe Travels!

As Room010 is not US or Canadian based he/she does not have Regent provided airfares available as an option.

Archived