Anyone driven from Civitavecchia to Venice via Pisa?

geepmaley

Looking at alternatives to get from port post cruise to Venice. Thinking of renting a car and overighting in Pisa or Florence. Hertz has a 2 days rental of a compact wagon for 237E, which is close to what the train would cost without the luggage hassle since we will have our own car., but parking car, etc. could become an issue?

You can calculate tolls using the autostade web site, which has an English language option. From Civitavecchia to Venice, if you took the autostade the entire way, the tolls would be Euro 37,50. www.autostrade.it

If you are breaking this trip up into two days, you'll have the time to take some back roads, which are infinitely more interesting. Tolls will be less, although I doubt that's an important decision factor.

I'd advise staying over somewhere other than Florence - why go into the city just to spend the night, room prices will be much higher, and the limited traffic zones might be a problem.

For fun, try making a google map and check the "avoid tolls" option. You can come up with some interesting alternative routes.

Driving into Florence is a serious problem because the ZTL(no drive zone) is not well marked and people find they get multiple traffic tickets months later because they went back and forth crossing this zone multiple times while looking for their hotel!!!!

IF you drive I'd stay in another spot with ease of access perhaps Bologna.

Archived