Alaska in late June

quiltsnh

Alaska is fickle...one day it can be quite cold on ship and another time it can be warm. We cruised late June and the weather was cold for us. The day we spent in Glacier Bay was cloudy, misty and cold. Actually, the mist helps with the color of the glaciers, so you want it to be rainy. We brought clothes for layering, gloves, hats, and hand warmers. We spent much of the day on deck and for the most part we felt comfortable.

A friend of mine went to Alaska a couple weeks later, and she had warm weather.

The best advice to give you would be to pack clothes for layering. Water resistant would be good for an outer layer.....AND, bring those hand warmers(just in case) and place them in your pockets, gloves, shoes, or anywhere you want...they are fairly cheap and take up no space.

Have a great cruise!

Impossible to predict.

I have cruised over the 4th of July 2x. First time it was extremely cold, rainy, sleet like weather with tons of fog. Miserable.

Second time, it was very warm -one day I went back to the ship to change into shorts as I was sweating in jeans. Perfect weather, no rain.

Hi,

I have been on 8 Alaska cruises, and I have taken those in June, July, August, and September. Alaska is great, any time!

Each month can be different.

I agree with Gingera, about bringing hats and gloves and layers. It can be warm inland, and it can be cool, cold, or rainy at sea.

Late June is the time when it stays light the longest. The further north that you go, the less night that you have. Staying overnight in Anchorage, one time, we still had daylight in our hotel rooms until about 2am, and shortly after that, the sun started rising again! The "Land of the Midnight Sun" experience is truly amazing. If you are open to this kind of adventure, definitely go for it, in late June! (Make sure that everyone in your group will be open to so many daylight hours. No grumpie sleepers allowed!)

We will be in Alaska this June 17th to start a land tour/cruise. I have been planning this trip for months and have been reading every forum and review I can find. I have seen tons and tons of pictures people have taken. We bought ourselves 3 in 1 jackets from LL Bean and ordered Dri Duck suits. I've read that the temps are anywhere from 60 to 75. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for 75.

Archived