Carnival and Princess...

northerndynasty

Good evening, CC'ers!

I'm sure this question has been asked before, and I think I gave it an earnest effort to find the answer. However, I could not. Short of calling the Good Folks at Princess in the AM...perhaps someone here might know the answer:

Princess Captain's Circle...I kinda get the jist: 1st Cruise completed: Gold Member; 5th cruise completed (or so many days at sea): Platinum; 15th cruise completed (or so many days at sea): Elite Member.

Great. So, Carnival owns Princess, correct? Here's the question:

If I cruise on a Carnival Ship, does any of that work to my credit-counting with Princess?

It may sound like a dumb question; but to me, the dumbest question is the one not asked.

So...guidance here? Thanking y'all in advance!

The short answer is no. Technically Carnival Cruise Lines (like Princess) is owned by Carnival Corporation and are operated independently of each other. There may be some discounted fares offered for past passengers, but the loyalty programs are completely separate.

Sorry no, your Carnival Cruises do not count towards your Princess Captain's Circle status.

Well, there ya have it. Thanks anywho...

What with the announcement today about the new Carnival Magic out of Galveston, wow, that opened-up a whole new can of...

But, my heart is with Princess...and so, I must continue on. It's a shame a Princess Beauty can't grace Galveston's ports for the middle-of-the- Country folk...

Thank you for your time...

Well, there ya have it. Thanks anywho...

What with the announcement today about the new Carnival Magic out of Galveston, wow, that opened-up a whole new can of...

But, my heart is with Princess...and so, I must continue on. It's a shame a Princess Beauty can't grace Galveston's ports for the middle-of-the- Country folk...

Thank you for your time...

Grand Princess sailed out of Galveston for a couple of seasons. If Princess deems it profitable, they'll be back.

Grand Princess sailed out of Galveston for a couple of seasons. If Princess deems it profitable, they'll be back.

We sailed the Grand Princess out of Galveston in '07, her last season there. With Carnival having two ships year-round, and Royal Caribbean there for the winter season, there just isn't enough business. By comparison, Galveston is tough to get to (Hobby Airport has limited airline service, and Intercontinental is 90 minutes away, with a round trip to/from the port costing in the vicinity if $200/pp). Most passengers drive there. The itineraries are limited to the western Caribbean (that Carnival "eastern" run is a joke), while Florida offers pretty much every route available, is easy to access from anywhere, and sails the newest ships. We cruise from Galveston once a year, only because of the convenience factor. We're also intrigued by the new Carnival ship coming this fall, and will likely be aboard sometime during its inaugural season.

Great. So, Carnival owns Princess, correct?
Incorrect. Carnival Cruise Lines does not own Princess any more than HAL, Cunard, etc. do. They are owned by Carnival Corporation & Plc, a holding company traded on the NYSE under the symbol CCL. Confusing, but Carnival Cruise Lines has nothing to do with Princess. Each of the cruise lines owned by Carnival Corporation & Plc is operated separately with it's own CEO and management team.

The only reciprocosity between past passenger program perks is between P&O and Princess because P&O used to own Princess. You might get a past passenger cruise fare discount but the loyalty programs are completely separate.

... The only reciprocosity between past passenger program perks is between P&O and Princess because P&O used to own Princess. ...

We're darned glad that's true. We got the ten days from our P&O cruise in '04, so although our upcoming cruise is only number three on Princess, we'll be platinum when it's over (52 days total) .

We sailed out of Galveston on the Grand and, while nice, was my least favorite cruise we have taken. It was a pain to get there, so we ended up driving. There wasn't a good way to get from the airport to Galveston, without it costing more than we were willing to pay.

Also, the first and last sea day were much cooler than the sea days out of Florida.

Archived