Can we bring boxed wine aboard?

ds521

We now know we can bring 2 bottles of wine aboard for consumption in our cabin but my husband wants to know if they'd allow the boxed wine as well. Does anyone have any information on this?

Since the Celebrity website does not define the size of a bottle of wine, I assume that you could bring 2 bottles of 1.5 liter wine. Therefore, you could also bring on a 3 liter box wine which I think is the minimum size produced. I would, however, as mentioned above, pack it in your checked luggage.

I can not speak about official policy. But, over at NCL, they do not allow box wine, and do charge corkage on ALL wine bottles. In reality, they do not seem to be able to detect box wine well as we have taken it on many cruises without incident.

I do not have one handy, but from memory....

If you have a Target Store nearby they sell a small box/cube (maybe 4-5" square) that contains four seperate small boxes of wine that hold two glasses of wine each (twist-off caps). This package would be very easy to either carry onboard or pack. We have used this wine at home and it is not bad at all.

As you can see from above answers, there is NO absolute answer. Many [i think a majority] have gotten 3 litre boxes on-board [we did, in a plastic shopping bag, so not exactly hidden], whereas a number of people have gotten 3 litre boxes rejected. Celebrity's telephone answers are notorious for being a new answer every time you call, so don't put a lot of faith in them [and different cruise lines have vastly different policies, so even less faith in those]. All the written Celebrity policy I have seen says "two bottles" with no mention of size. By all reports almost everyone who has brought two 1.5 litre bottles has gotten them through; there are a very few reports to the contrary. Sorry I can't be definite, but I don't anyone can except for the inspector you end up with who has his own definite answer.:rolleyes:

Thom

Most likely the wine steward would ask you to leave for drinking bad wine.

Boxed wine is the cheapest, most horrible wine available. Do yourselves a favor and buy a better bottle in the MDR. You will be surprised how it enhances your meal.

Unfortunately, many people's interpretation of a good wine is whatever is cheapest. My inlaws balk at paying $5 a bottle, saying it all tastes the same...

Most likely the wine steward would ask you to leave for drinking bad wine.

Boxed wine is the cheapest, most horrible wine available. Do yourselves a favor and buy a better bottle in the MDR. You will be surprised how it enhances your meal.

You sound like a wine snob!:DBlack Box has some very good wines including Malbec and Sonoma Valley Merlot.I have never been refused entry into the MDR with a glass of wine in hand regardless of where it comes from....wine or glass!Cheers!

Here is the policy which I copied directly from the Celebrity website.

Guests are not allowed to bring beer or hard liquor onboard for consumption or any other use. Guests wishing to bring personal wine onboard with them at the beginning of the cruise may do so, limited to two (2) bottles per stateroom, but when consumed in any shipboard restaurant, bar, or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00.

Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of calls or from the onboard shops will be stored by the ship and delivered to guest's staterooms on the last day of the sailing.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Celebrity Cruises’ Guest Conduct Policy may be enforced, up to and including disembarkation, if a guest violates any alcohol policy. Guests under the age of twenty*one (21) will not have alcohol returned to them.

Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age twenty*one (21), demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy.

Please bear in mind that any answer you may receive from one of Celebrity's customer service representatives over the phone will not only be contradictory to what another may tell you because none of them are on the same page, the answer will also most likely be different that what you may read on the Celebrity website or cruise contract, and will definitely be different than what you will find to be true at the port. Pay no attention to what you are told over the phone by the CSR's since it is usually nothing more than mindless dribble. What is important is to remember that the final answer lies with the security staff of any particular ship on any particular cruise and can therefore, change from week to week and from one port to another. There simply is no set rule that is followed by everyone within Celebrity's employment.

In December, we sailed on the Eclipse out of Miami. We carried on a 3 liter Black Box, which, by the way, is not a bad tasting wine. This was done so in our carry on bags, if I did not make that clear in the last sentence. No one said a word about it. It was seen by the security team and completely ignored. We have also done the same thing when boarding the Infinity and the Summit. Since there is no written rule on the size of the two bottles that Celebrity allows you to consume at no charge in your cabin, it will be difficult for them to turn away any sized bottle or box within reason.

The bottom line to answer the OP's question is: yes, you can bring on a box of wine. Whether you carry it on or put it in your checked baggage is up to you.

Please bear in mind that any answer you may receive from one of Celebrity's customer service representatives over the phone will not only be contradictory to what another may tell you because none of them are on the same page, the answer will also most likely be different that what you may read on the Celebrity website or cruise contract, and will definitely be different than what you will find to be true at the port. Pay no attention to what you are told over the phone by the CSR's since it is usually nothing more than mindless dribble. What is important is to remember that the final answer lies with the security staff of any particular ship on any particular cruise and can therefore, change from week to week and from one port to another. There simply is no set rule that is followed by everyone within Celebrity's employment.

In December, we sailed on the Eclipse out of Miami. We carried on a 3 liter Black Box, which, by the way, is not a bad tasting wine. This was done so in our carry on bags, if I did not make that clear in the last sentence. No one said a word about it. It was seen by the security team and completely ignored. We have also done the same thing when boarding the Infinity and the Summit. Since there is no written rule on the size of the two bottles that Celebrity allows you to consume at no charge in your cabin, it will be difficult for them to turn away any sized bottle or box within reason.

The bottom line to answer the OP's question is: yes, you can bring on a box of wine. Whether you carry it on or put it in your checked baggage is up to you.

Just because your wine wasn't questioned, doesn't mean you can unequivocally state that the OP can bring onboard a box of wine. And our box of wine (which equaled a total of 3 bottles) was confiscated and held until after the cruise.

The bottom line is there is a policy in place....whether or not it is strictly enforced is hit or miss.

I just don't think should tell the OP that "yes, you can bring on a box of wine."

Just because your wine wasn't questioned, doesn't mean you can unequivocally state that the OP can bring onboard a box of wine. And our box of wine (which equaled a total of 3 bottles) was confiscated and held until after the cruise.

What cruise ship were you on? I remember you saying it was the Port of Miami when they confiscated your wine.

Please reconsider bringing boxed wine. Please think outside the box and open yourselves up to better wines. Whether you bring them on board or buy them on the ship, you can do so much better than a blackbox.

You are on vacation so by all means spoil yourself. You have worked hard so now treat yourself.

I would suggest a Silver Oak 2005 Napa Cabernet for about $80 retail or a Joseph Phelps Insignia for about $125. I plan on bringing both to drink on my balcony before dinner.

You do not always have to spend this much as there are many nice wines in the $10 range.

I spoke with X.

A couple may bring one 1.5 or two 750's. Total wine cannot exceed 1.5.

Boxed wine exceeds 1.5 so it is not permitted.

Wine can be consumed in your stateroom.

If brought to the dining room a $25 corkage fee applies.

As a person who has given wine training classes for 25 years I tell everyone that the BEST WINE is the one they like BEST.:)

And yes there ARE some impressive wines now available in boxes.

And yes there ARE box wines in 1.5 size or smaller.

I'm not sure I would want to take a box wine to dinner- you might tell the steward that you don't mind them charging a corkage fee if they are able to find the cork.:p

Archived