Can we bring boxed wine aboard?

ds521

Can you bring wine on board from the ports? We are flying in and heading straight to the port in Miami, so I was hoping to pick up some at our first port of call?

Yes, you may buy wine at the first port of call, or any other port, but be aware that it will be taken from you as you reboard, and held until you are ready to disembark at the end of your cruise.:o Annie

I spoke with X.

A couple may bring one 1.5 or two 750's. Total wine cannot exceed 1.5.

Boxed wine exceeds 1.5 so it is not permitted.

Wine can be consumed in your stateroom.

If brought to the dining room a $25 corkage fee applies.

Are you sure? I have always (10 to 15 times) taken on two bottles each 1.5L and never had this questioned? I have not seen anywhere that it says a size of the bottle just states 2 bottles. That being said I do not want to break any rules and if you can tell me where you found this I will start taking only two 750's on board. I have never been charged a corkage fee on any cruise line and I have always offered to pay it but the waiter has always said no. We like our wine and I do spend $400 to $500 on wine in the dinning room on a average.

From what I've seen Celebrity's liquor/wine policy just says two bottles of wine per cabin is the limit. It does not address the issue of boxes nor bottle size.

I've never tried bringing on larger bottles, at least since the current policy went into place, nor have I even used boxed wine. But I do read a lot of Cruise Critic messages and I've seen a lot of discussions here on this very topic. From the many postings I've read I'd have the following observation: Chances are that a box or a couple large bottles will go right through either by security that doesn't single these out or by not being noticed in the first place and most reports are that people have no issue bringing these on board. BUT... there are a number of reports where boxes or large bottles have been confiscated at boarding and not allowed at all - sometimes theses are returned at the end of the cruise and sometimes they are disposed of on discovery.

The bottom line is how lucky do you feel? While the odds appear in your favor there are some reports of security not allowing either large bottles or boxes so bringing either on will be taking a chance and you have to be prepared for the consequences or you might be very dissapointed.

Please reconsider bringing boxed wine. Please think outside the box and open yourselves up to better wines. Whether you bring them on board or buy them on the ship, you can do so much better than a blackbox.

You are on vacation so by all means spoil yourself. You have worked hard so now treat yourself.

I would suggest a Silver Oak 2005 Napa Cabernet for about $80 retail or a Joseph Phelps Insignia for about $125. I plan on bringing both to drink on my balcony before dinner.

You do not always have to spend this much as there are many nice wines in the $10 range.

I remember cruising Alaska with my parents, seeing as we weren't flying to the port I took on a few from our collection; Opus One, Silver Oak, Insignia and I think a Caymus Select... they liked them but couldn't really taste much difference than the everyday stuff they drank... lesson learned, don't waste my good wines on my parents ;), and not everyone needs to spend $150 a bottle to enjoy them.

• 2 weeks later...
Please reconsider bringing boxed wine. Please think outside the box and open yourselves up to better wines. Whether you bring them on board or buy them on the ship, you can do so much better than a blackbox.

You are on vacation so by all means spoil yourself. You have worked hard so now treat yourself.

I would suggest a Silver Oak 2005 Napa Cabernet for about $80 retail or a Joseph Phelps Insignia for about $125. I plan on bringing both to drink on my balcony before dinner.

You do not always have to spend this much as there are many nice wines in the $10 range.

Why is that any of your business? You didn't answer her question and not everyone likes a 2005 Silver Oak.

I am blessed enough to be able to afford some very, very nice wines and I still drink the Blackbox wines from time to time - The cab is quite delicious and has won several awards. Not to mention that it is eco-friendly and safer to pack in luggage, it's convenient and it it lasts for a while after it has been opened.

The BEST wine is the wine you like the BEST.

Where do you find Silver Oak Cab for $80? That's a bargain

I've found Silver Oak Cab (both Napa and Alexander Valley) well below $80 at numerous wine stores. Silver Oak Napa averages $75 a bottle and Silver Oak Alexander Valley $59 a bottle. But honestly, I agree with OP that you can find great wine at much lower prices. Personally, one of my very favorite "special occasion wines" right now is the 2008 Caymus Napa Valley Cab selling for $60. I agree the BEST wine is the one YOU like BEST!

I've found Silver Oak Cab (both Napa and Alexander Valley) well below $80 at numerous wine stores. Silver Oak Napa averages $75 a bottle and Silver Oak Alexander Valley $59 a bottle. But honestly, I agree with OP that you can find great wine at much lower prices. Personally, one of my very favorite "special occasion wines" right now is the 2008 Caymus Napa Valley Cab selling for $60. I agree the BEST wine is the one YOU like BEST!

Agreed. Ive been buying a lot of Cameron Hughes lately in the sub $20 range. Good juice

I think the main reason to bring a a box rather than a bottle is breakage...

I can see my suitcase held by security if packed in suitcase, or bottle getting

broken if in carryone tote... boxes don't break that easy...

I think the main reason to bring a a box rather than a bottle is breakage...

I can see my suitcase held by security if packed in suitcase, or bottle getting

broken if in carryone tote... boxes don't break that easy...

Breakage and my husband is a vodka drinker, so it's really convenient to just pour a glass at a time rather than opening a bottle.

I called Celebrity and asked if there was a size restriction. I was told you are allowed 1.5L per cabin. So that is either 2 750's or 1 1.5 bottle or 1 1.5 box.

In New York, I pay $79.99 for an 05 Silver Oak Napa and $48.99 for the Alexander Valley.

When I sailed on the Queen Mary we were allowed to bring 2 bottles. We were not charged a corkage fee as the wine steward waived it due to the amount we were spending on wine throughout the cruise. We were also given free tickets to a private tasting that was being hosted on the ship by their Sommeliers. This was a great event that allowed us to taste some very nice wines that were available in the dining room.

• 3 weeks later...
Most likely the wine steward would ask you to leave for drinking bad wine.

Boxed wine is the cheapest, most horrible wine available. Do yourselves a favor and buy a better bottle in the MDR. You will be surprised how it enhances your meal.

Wow ... Try Powers boxed wine from badger mtn winery state of washington. We are wine snobs DH is a wine judge and this box of wine is good!!!

Domna

Most likely the wine steward would ask you to leave for drinking bad wine.

Boxed wine is the cheapest, most horrible wine available. Do yourselves a favor and buy a better bottle in the MDR. You will be surprised how it enhances your meal.

Is the food that bad in the MDR that you need wine to make it better? :confused: :rolleyes: Feel bad for the passengers that don't or can't drink wine.

I liked 2 buck Chuck, but now I enjoy the more expensive stuff; 3 buck Chuck. There was a price increase.

Is the food that bad in the MDR that you need wine to make it better? :confused: :rolleyes:* Feel bad for the passengers that don't or can't drink wine.I liked 2 buck Chuck, but now I enjoy the more expensive stuff; 3 buck Chuck.* There was a price increase..
I'm with you!!* Either Chuck or a big box of Merlot ought to do it for me!* A couple cases of that fancy stuff could pay the rent for year!* Since I stopped smoking, my taste buds are gone, so it all tastes the same to me!! Or maybe it's because I've aged a few years??Whatever!!* It all tastes ALMOST the same.* LOL

Curiously the size of the wine bottles has been removed from the policy statement by Celebrity. It NOW only states 2 bottles...nothing mentioned about size.

After telling you that you can bring 2 bottles it now follows with the sentence, "Subject to $25 corkage fee". It almost implies that they can charge you $25 for each bottle carried aboard. They don't do this (at least not yet) but it makes you wonder if they wrote this for a future change in establishing policy. And yes, I DO know they charge $25/bottle at MDR and specialty restaurants.

And for those who make fun of box wines, I can tell you that after twenty years of teaching wine classes and wine training, I can assure you there are lots of "pleasing" box wines. I just attended a ZAP tasting in Kansas City last Thursday. Tasted over 50 Zins and was surprised and pleased with the quality of the 3 liter Bota Box Old Vine Zinfandel. I wouldn't hesitate serving this to anyone.

If you want to take an impressive Zin aboard ship the one that blew me away was Rutherford's Predator '07. Under $20, and shocks you with the immediate fruit forward flavor while still being a full-bodied well structured wine.

Other recommended red box wines include: FROM THE TANK Vin Rouge, FOUR Cabernet Sauvignon, PINOT EVIL Pinot Noir, BIG HOUSE Red, FRENCH RABBIT Pinot Noir, BOTA BOX Shiraz, QUELU Cabernet Sauvignon, BLACK BOX Cabernet Sauvignon, BANROCK STATION Shiraz, and HARDY'S Cabernet Sauvignon.

If I had to grab a box of white it would be BLACK BOX Sauvignon Blanc.

So, any wine snobs out there, feel free to respond, I've heard it all.;)

Since the Celebrity website does not define the size of a bottle of wine, I assume that you could bring 2 bottles of 1.5 liter wine. Therefore, you could also bring on a 3 liter box wine which I think is the minimum size produced. I would, however, as mentioned above, pack it in your checked luggage.

Not on the website but in fact they do...Celebrity Customer Service told me they allow 2 750 ml bottles per cabin. Now we have brought on 4 bottles and we have brought boxed wine which is usually 3-4 bottles worth. But their rule is 2 - 750 ml bottles per cabin. I always feel that if they "catch" me I will willing do the right thing. But so far they haven't. Donna

Not on the website but in fact they do...Celebrity Customer Service told me they allow 2 750 ml bottles per cabin. Now we have brought on 4 bottles and we have brought boxed wine which is usually 3-4 bottles worth. But their rule is 2 - 750 ml bottles per cabin. I always feel that if they "catch" me I will willing do the right thing. But so far they haven't. Donna

Always remember that POLICY is what's printed, not what's said. You can get different answers from different customer service phone reps. And, anything thet tell you, ask for an email confirmation.:rolleyes:

Archived