Food question

sparky-elpaso

I know Australia is very strict on bringing any kind of food into the country. One thing I like is the vanilla flavored creamer for my coffee. The powdered kind comes in individual serving sized packets. Is that something I can bring with me? Or would I be able to find something like that in stores in Sydney?

I plan on buying things like sun block, shampoo, etc. when we get there - no sense in dragging heavy things like that on the plane.

I know Australia is very strict on bringing any kind of food into the country. One thing I like is the vanilla flavored creamer for my coffee. The powdered kind comes in individual serving sized packets. Is that something I can bring with me? Or would I be able to find something like that in stores in Sydney?

I plan on buying things like sun block, shampoo, etc. when we get there - no sense in dragging heavy things like that on the plane.

You should be O.K. if you declare it. In fact, declare everything!

There is more on the subject here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/australia-new-zealand-south-pacific/1166668-australia-customs-strict.html

I don't know if you would be able to find your powdered creamer, but do you really want to take very limited vacation time hunting for it in Sydney?

You should be O.K. if you declare it. In fact, declare everything!

There is more on the subject here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/australia-new-zealand-south-pacific/1166668-australia-customs-strict.html

I don't know if you would be able to find your powdered creamer, but do you really want to take very limited vacation time hunting for it in Sydney?

Thanks. We plan on going shopping anyway. We'll be in Sydney for 4 days pre-cruise and 2 days post-cruise. But I think I may take some and if they make me pitch it it's no problem.

I often take food stuff back to my grandkids and have no trouble getting them through, so you'll be fine.

I second what Orlando said - declare everything. Pay close attention to signs as you leave the plane and make sure you have no unpackaged food.

I often take food stuff back to my grandkids and have no trouble getting them through, so you'll be fine.

I second what Orlando said - declare everything. Pay close attention to signs as you leave the plane and make sure you have no unpackaged food.

I downloaded a file from the AU customs website which gives a lot of good information. Definitely declaring everything - both coming and going - seems to be the important part.

The following link will take you the AQIS website downloaded brochure for travellers "What can't I take into Australia".

http://www.daff.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0014/114242/whatcanti_take.pdf

I agree with the other posters - declare everything - that way you will have no problems.

Hope this helps

Believe me,

1/ declare everything even if its a chewy,

2/ fill in the immigration card given to you pre arrival on the plane correctly, if unsure ask when landed.

3/ Its alot quicker through the red declaration channel aswell.

Stevo:)

3/ Its alot quicker through the red declaration channel aswell.
"Was", in the case of Sydney. I think the red channel's been abolished, reportedly largely because of abuse. (Which is so counter-intuitive, for anyone used to normal Customs channels.)

The funniest experiences with Australian Customs are when they think you're honest enough when you declare what food you have got that they then wave you through with neither a bag search nor an X-ray. Just had my fourth experience of that; feels very strange.

The following link will take you the AQIS website downloaded brochure for travellers "What can't I take into Australia".

http://www.daff.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0014/114242/whatcanti_take.pdf

I agree with the other posters - declare everything - that way you will have no problems.

Hope this helps

Great - thanks. Printed and filed in my Australia stuff.

If it's a creamer made from milk, I wouldn't be too sure that it will be allowed. They're particularly tough on dairy and meat (i.e. animal) based items. As said above though, you won't get any fines if you declare it, but you do risk losing it.

If it's a creamer made from milk, I wouldn't be too sure that it will be allowed. They're particularly tough on dairy and meat (i.e. animal) based items. As said above though, you won't get any fines if you declare it, but you do risk losing it.

Actually, it's non-dairy. But I looked at the Coles Supermarket website and they carry vanilla creamer in the little single serving liquid cups. So I'll bring a few of the powdered ones and then go shopping. Bringing them onto the ship shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for everyone's help - I'm really looking forward to coming "down under".

The funniest experiences with Australian Customs are when they think you're honest enough when you declare what food you have got that they then wave you through with neither a bag search nor an X-ray. Just had my fourth experience of that; feels very strange.

I have the same experience most times coming in through Brisbane. I declare everything and then just get waved through.

Declairing medicines can get you into the long line, but still it is better than having someone in the ba screening spot your meds, open your bags and then be in the posiiton of explaining why you didn't declare them. I listed my eyedrops (Xalatan for Glaucoma) the screener saw what I had and apologized for the bureacracy. (which he represented!)It was no prolbem just a bit of a pain after enduring 1 and a half hours to get there. (Sydney airport = slowest international in the world even the flight crews were backed up almost as far as we were.)

Declairing medicines can get you into the long line, but still it is better than having someone in the ba screening spot your meds, open your bags and then be in the posiiton of explaining why you didn't declare them. I listed my eyedrops (Xalatan for Glaucoma) the screener saw what I had and apologized for the bureacracy. (which he represented!)It was no prolbem just a bit of a pain after enduring 1 and a half hours to get there. (Sydney airport = slowest international in the world even the flight crews were backed up almost as far as we were.)

I found a couple of sites about declaring medications - we will have ours in their original prescription bottles, etc. to hopefully avoid any problems.

Archived