Port of Tampa currently closed - Inspiration delayed

shellhunter

What I find funny is that the ships can make it the 108 miles up the Mississippi River in totally fog making numerous turns but cant make the short distances at Mobile, Galveston, and Tampa Bay.

I have been on the Fantasy a couple of times and was amazed how dense the fog was. The Bolivar Ferry near Galveston is another that still travels when it is totally fogged in.

Dave

What I find funny is that the ships can make it the 108 miles up the Mississippi River in totally fog making numerous turns but cant make the short distances at Mobile, Galveston, and Tampa Bay.

I have been on the Fantasy a couple of times and was amazed how dense the fog was. The Bolivar Ferry near Galveston is another that still travels when it is totally fogged in.

Dave

I think it is more about passing under the sunshine skyway bridge where you have mere feet to clear. Not sure what the clearance is for the Inspiration but I know the Legend comes pretty close going under - a real sight to see as a passenger.

I think it is more about passing under the sunshine skyway bridge where you have mere feet to clear. Not sure what the clearance is for the Inspiration but I know the Legend comes pretty close going under - a real sight to see as a passenger.

After this disaster, I don't think any ships will ever pass under the skyway in fog, ever again:

http://www3.gendisasters.com/florida/6001/st-petersburg-fl-ship-crashes-quotsunshine-skywayquot-bridge-may-1980

From Carnival's website: Port of Tampa has reopened and the Carnival Inspiration is proceeding towards the cruise terminal. We expect to be docked around 6:00PM and start debarking guests from the previous voyage shortly after.

We ask guests sailing today on the Carnival Inspiration not to proceed to the cruise terminal before 9:30PM, since there is limited seating. In the meantime, please go and enjoy dinner in Tampa; we will be providing a $25 per person dinner credit via their onboard account.

We will continue to provide updates on Carnival.com as information becomes available. We’re sorry Mother Nature is not cooperating with us. We look forward to welcoming our guests aboard the Carnival Inspiration.

I have to say Carnival is being very generous to the guests waiting to board. If the airlines were delayed due to weather you wouldn't even be able to get a can of coke from them.

Port of Tampa has been having some issues lately. Wasn't it last month when she got delayed several hours due to winds?

I'm hoping Tampa's weather is pleasant next Thursday, we'll be meeting Radiance of the Seas there.

I know they did in December, my cruise got delayed a day because of winds. I hope you have much better weather next week!

I was on the Inspiration yesterday stuck in the fog, and I can tell you I'm glad they didn't try to make it under the Skyway Bridge until the fog cleared up a little.:) Getting under the bridge is a tight fit in good weather; let alone when you can't even see the bridge.

At about 6am from the Lido deck it was impossible to see the water due to the fog. Looking straight out from the Lido visibility may have been about 10 feet. The fog was so thick that it was even hard to see the whale tale of the ship from the Lido.:eek: No way I would've wanted to be the person that had to try and get that ship under the Skyway.

Once the ship got in to Tampa Bay the weather was nice though. We finally docked at about 6pm and after the ship cleared customs we were finally disembarked at about 8pm. Even with the delays I still had a great time.

I felt bad for the people who had to catch flights out of Tampa, and for those who were waiting to embark. It definately created a long day for them.

I also felt bad for the crew. The crew can't control the weather; and some passengers couldn't seem to understand that fact. The same crew who was serving me drinks in the punchliner at 1am was out setting up the bars and the buffet on the Lido at 7am. So for most of them it probably meant little or no sleep that night; but they did a fabulous job and offered great service under the circumstances. Overall it was a great first cruise, and I would happily do it again.

I'm wondering if I am the only person who PRAYS for something like this to happen and it never does!! I would LOVE the extra time on the ship! Flight, schmight. You can rebook. It's not the end of the world. I sailed on the Fantasy 2 weeks after my friend sailed her in 2009. He got fogged out--we were on time, lol. Sigh.

I'm wondering if I am the only person who PRAYS for something like this to happen and it never does!! I would LOVE the extra time on the ship! Flight, schmight. You can rebook. It's not the end of the world. I sailed on the Fantasy 2 weeks after my friend sailed her in 2009. He got fogged out--we were on time, lol. Sigh.

Unfortunately not....While people are on the ship enjoying themself others will be at the pier waiting for their cruise that will be cut short. Guess I think a little differently than some....:rolleyes:

The reverse siide is you might be the one standing at the pier waiting for your ship to come in...Now wouldn't that be ironic....LOL...

So on average just how often does this happen in Tampa during the winter? For some reason I just never thought about fog issues.

Not often. I live in Tampa and for cruising it is seldom....Happens more in Galveston....

So on average just how often does this happen in Tampa during the winter? For some reason I just never thought about fog issues.

Only remember these two times - both inspiration in recent memory. Can't remember it happening to Legend at all in the last 3-4 years, and really don't remember it happening to inspiration other than these two in the last 3-4 years.

Archived