Renting Snorkel Gear???

rickcop44

Did a search for this, but couldn't find anything so I'll be quick. The missus and I are on Legend the end of the month. We normally bring our own snorkels and masks, but this trip, we're trying to get all our belongings into two carry on bags. What folks out there in snorkel land have rented snorkel gear on an island/excursion and lived to tell about it? I'm not a fanatic germophobe by any means. Everyone claims they soak their gear in disinfectant and clean everything after each use. Would you rent gear locally or would you prefer to bring your own and not risk a case of the cooties?

Last March I bought a snorkel at the excursion desk onboard Carnival Ecstasy for $5. My plan was to use the mask they provided with my own snorkel. (son got sick and we didn't snorkel anyway). That might be an option for you.

For the next trip I bought better ones and packed mask & snorkel.

I have a prescription mask and always bring it so that I can see past the end of my nose:o, but always use the rental flippers and vest; my kids have rented the full kit several times and managed to survive just fine. Good luck! :)

Did a search for this, but couldn't find anything so I'll be quick. The missus and I are on Legend the end of the month. We normally bring our own snorkels and masks, but this trip, we're trying to get all our belongings into two carry on bags. What folks out there in snorkel land have rented snorkel gear on an island/excursion and lived to tell about it? I'm not a fanatic germophobe by any means. Everyone claims they soak their gear in disinfectant and clean everything after each use. Would you rent gear locally or would you prefer to bring your own and not risk a case of the cooties?

Getting a proper fit on a mask is important so you aren't constantly dealing with clearing water out. I would think about buying the mask before you go. Fins you can easily rent.

I don't know that you have to pack your own in luggage. Check your airline allowances as some do let you additionally carry on some sports gear. We have a bag we carry them in and just put them in the overhead.

If not and there is a fee, I'd say get some of the newer lightweight ones as they pack without taking up too much space or weight.

For us the ship gear is the last choice because of fit and depending on them not running out of gear that fits you.

Any of those choices are better than not snorkling though, isn't it? :D

We are very beginner snorkelers but have our own mask and snorkel. The disinfecting is iffy at best. On an excursion to St. John we watched them dump the gear from the previous group into a tub half full of not very clean looking water that supposedly had bleach in it. We were very glad we had brought our own!

Does your wife have a really big purse? JK

Seriously, though, if it were at all possible, I'd take my own. Not just for sanitation purposes, but because the stuff that is available to rent is junk. The mask and snorkel can easily fit into a carry-on, especially if you pack your socks and underwear inside the mask.

When we travel with carry-on only, we take the rolling carryon that fits in the overhead bin, and then each carry a smallish backpack or tote bag as our "personal item", in lieu of a briefcase or purse. It just has to be small enough to fit under the seat in front of you.

soooo where do you go to get the masks and snorkle? i live in MA and right now the only thing i find being sold in stores are shovels and ice melt...it may be a dumb question but im not sure if you mean like get it at a walmart/target or a specialty sports store? :o

also, i have always just used the masks given to me on the tours, but maybe buying one is a better way to go?

soooo where do you go to get the masks and snorkle? i live in MA and right now the only thing i find being sold in stores are shovels and ice melt...it may be a dumb question but im not sure if you mean like get it at a walmart/target or a specialty sports store? :o

also, i have always just used the masks given to me on the tours, but maybe buying one is a better way to go?

We bought a really lightweight one from Costco cheap just for travel but I suspect it may be an issue at this time of year. Maybe try a sport's store or better yet, search online as sometimes stores can have them in online stock. As a hint: also search for coupons in one of the online coupon sites once you pick a brand or online store. Try to get the discount for any online store you can opt for the discount or the free shipping if they have them. Also search the brand as they can have coupons as well.

Online you'd unfortunately have to select the generic sizes without trying them on so look at their return policy.

Thanks everyone for your responses. It sounds like we'd likely survive any encounter with a mask and snorkel. But several of you brought up a point I hadn't considered - fit. Our masks are custom fitted to our faces and they never leak (I'm also a diver and that's very important when scuba diving). And special thanks to bankerbabe for the trick of packing socks and underwear inside the mask. After 19 cruises, you'd think we have this thing down pat. There's always something new to learn. Thanks again!

The other day, we bought our mask and snorkels from Dicks Sporting Goods. Target had them also. I'm guessing Sports Authority and similar sports stores would have a few at least.

Also, in Denver, we have a full scuba shop which sells them year round, as well as a few swim stores that sell them year round. If you search, I'm sure you can find somewhere in the area to find them so you can try them on before you buy them.

Good luck!

I prefer to bring my mask and snorkel, but I'll use their flippers.

I would not be able to get all my clothes in a carry on. How do you do it? Between the 2 of us, we take each a suitcase and share a garment bag. Still we have a carry on. We have our snorkel gear and I always carry my mask with me. It can get crushed too easily.I am getting a new mask this year with the filled silicone. I have seen some rental fee from 7-12. I think that is high. Always before it was around 5.

Son rented last month. He got a pretty short snorkel. After damn near drowning (he is a novice snorkeler), I gave him my semi-dry and he really enjoyed it.

I'm not a germophobe so that is a non-issue. My point is you don't know what type of equipment you'll get. I'd at least pack my mask and snorkel as I don't wear my fins much anymore.

Regarding the packing issue, my initial thought was that you pack too much stuff. We get by on much less (but not that much less :( ) but we're getting better). I bought a case for my mask, snorkel and fins are pretty much indestructible. I sometimes check my gear and have never had a problem.

Archived