Birth certificate from 42 years

seaboat

I am cruising soon with my kids. Looking forward to it.

My birth certificate is from NYC of 1962 and it is the only one I have carry. It is black with white lettering and it does not have a raised seal. I am not sure if back then The state of New York did not use the raised seal. I am beginning to worry about it because I've read about birth certificate with the seal. For anyone born in the 60's: What is your birth certificate like? :confused:

I did used it once for a cruise in 1996 and it was accepted.

Hi Seaboat

If I were you, I'd write to the Department of Vital Statistics (it might be called something else in your state) in your state and get a certified copy of your birth certificate. This will have the raised seal on it. I've heard of people not being able to get on the ship without it, especially since 9/11. They are getting to be real sticklers about passengers being able to prove their citizenship. Alternatively, you could call Carnival and double check with them. It would suck if you couldn't go on your cruise! Hope this helps.

I ordered mine several years back at vitalchek.com and had it in no time. I received a copy with a raised state seal on it. My soon to be hubby got his the same way online just a month or so ago. It was less than $20 with shipping.

hope this helps,

Esmerelda

I was living in California a few years ago and needed my birth certificate. I was able to call and get the info and cost and had my birth certificate within a couple of weeks. California to Florida. No hassles.

Jim

My husband (born in 1951) had to get a new certified copy because his original did not have a raised seal. We found out after we submitted our passport applications in December. He couldn't even get a passport without a raised seal birth certificate.

Born in Brooklyn in the 40's...oh my that sounds old! I also had a birth certificate like you describe. Years ago my DH sent for new copies for us and they are on green paper with a raised seal. They came from City of New York Department of Health Records. I think back then they were $15 each. The address on the envelope is 125 Worth Street, New York, NY 10013. No doubt there is an on line service now. Good luck!

My birth certificate from the mid 50s is also black with white lettering. On the lower left side there is a very slightly raised seal--almost like it is worn off. (Yikes--that makes me really feel old!:( ) I used it to get my passport and had no problem at all! If you have time either write for a new copy, or go, check to see if you can go to your local health department and see if you can get a copy with a seal. (In MO, as long as your were born in the state, any health department can get you a copy of your BC):)

Its funny, my birth certificate looks 42 years. It is falling apart.... LOL! I will be getting a new one thru vitalchek. The kids and I cruise in 2 1/2 weeks, so I have time to do a speedy order. Thank you guys for the great feedback.

Happy cruising to everybody...:cool:

My DH was born in Manhattan (late 1950's) and his is exactly the same, black w/white lettering. Mine on the other hand is from a small town in Texas from 1960 and is filled in by type and it's blue, but it does have a raised seal. My youngest, born in the mid 80's has a MD birth certificate that is a card with no raised seal, just a textured border. There are a lot of different types of bc's in this country. Raised seal sounds nice, but not everyone has one. We have passports so it's not an issue.

I had to get a new birth certificate this year. I went to the county office to get a passport. They asked me where I was born. I told them Jersey City. The clerk told me that since I was born in Jersey city, I would have to get a new birtch cert. because someone was giving or selling fraudulent birth certificates. She said it dates back years and years, so no one knows who's are real and who's are not. If I remember correctly she said it dates back to the early 1900's. Do not quote that, it is probably WRONG. Anyway, I had to get a new one. No one would accept the one I had. It only cost me around $20 or so dollars. It was easy, I sat down in the office, used their computer, done. Plus the piece of mind is priceless! I am so glad that my hubby and I went to get our passports! Could you imaging, getting to the port and having them say " Sorry Maam, you can't sail"

My old BC was a white letters on Black. I belive they are microfiche copys. Wasnt everything kept in microfiche files back then. It does have the raised seal on it. The paper they used for the microfiche copys is not a good quality and slowly dries out and crumbles. Mine is 45 yrs old and it is so crumbly that I had to get a new copy. The new one is on special State of CA paper with no seal and it is accepeted by the cruise lines and to get passports.

Lori

A lot of the states are doing away with the raised seal for certified copies of BCs. In SC they discontinued it because manufactureers of fraudulent documents were finding it easy to obtain bogus 'raised seals.' We now have copies on blue security paper that displays unauthorized copy when an unofficial copy is made.

I took KenMo advice on March 2 and ordered my birth certificate throught vitalchek and I recieved it today. That was fast!!! Yipeeeee....

Now I feel better.

Soooo Happy, now I have a peace of mind.

Archived