Another Chance for the Last Steam Ship - Pacific Sky

Bella cruiser

Good news for all who loved her, I thought I would let you know that Pullmantar have announced the sale of Atlantic Star (ex Fairsky, Sky Princess, Pacific Sky, Sky Wonder) to an undesclosed buyer.

This is great news as her future was uncertain as she had been laid up since 2009 (except for a brief return to service to cover a mechanical breakdown of one of their ships).

Her new buyers intend to lease her and she will receive a refurb and sail under the name of Mona Lisa II. :)

Jenny

Great news, we loved the Sky and yes she was the last steam passenger ship built, albeit steam turbines.:)

Apparently FairMajesty (Pacific Pearl) was originally ordered with Steam Turbine propulsion too as Boris Vlasov (Sitmar owner) preferred this but when he saw the successful retrofit of the modern type of diesels into the QE2 he changed the order and Pacific Pearl was built as a Motor Vessel.

Jenny

Yes I remember reading something about that.

Bella, I've noticed you are very technically switched on, maybe seaman/woman.:)

Not really, just a bit of a Sitmar tragic.:rolleyes:

I spent a lot of time on cruise ships as a child and teenager and my interest in them has remained.

My parents were well and truly addicted to cruising and took us with them. (I missed a lot of school but still managed to turn out OK).:)

I am hoping to give my young son the same travel opportunities.

Jenny

Not really, just a bit of a Sitmar tragic.:rolleyes:

I spent a lot of time on cruise ships as a child and teenager and my interest in them has remained.

My parents were well and truly addicted to cruising and took us with them. (I missed a lot of school but still managed to turn out OK).:)

I am hoping to give my young son the same travel opportunities.

Jenny

Excellent,I'm sure your son will treasure this 'ship thing' forever.:)

Hi everyone, further to the previous info, I have come across some other info which may be of interest.

The latest news is that during the proposed refit Atlantic Star is to have her steam turbines removed and is to be retrofitted with diesel engines. It is reported that the new owners have aquired the engines that were removed some years ago from the unfinished floating hulk of the 'Regent Sky'.

If they do this it would indicate that they are serious about extending the life of this lovely ship although the very thing that made her unique would be lost.

Jenny

That is great news, good to see she's still got a future, although as you say it's a shame to lose the one thing that made her unique. Sailed on her twice as Pacific Sky - being steam she was so smooth, no vibrations at all. She's a great ship.

That is great news, good to see she's still got a future, although as you say it's a shame to lose the one thing that made her unique. Sailed on her twice as Pacific Sky - being steam she was so smooth, no vibrations at all. She's a great ship.

Just trust they have got on top of all that rust.:eek:

We had 3 cruises on her, and enjoyed them all.

Then she had to limp back to Auckland once ,

as the rust gave way and she took on water..:eek:

Still , a few new panels welded in the right place

and she was away again.

QE2 was also changed over to deisel.

Wonder if she will still be as smooth with the new engines.?

Hi everyone, further to the previous info, I have come across some other info which may be of interest.

The latest news is that during the proposed refit Atlantic Star is to have her steam turbines removed and is to be retrofitted with diesel engines. It is reported that the new owners have aquired the engines that were removed some years ago from the unfinished floating hulk of the 'Regent Sky'.

If they do this it would indicate that they are serious about extending the life of this lovely ship although the very thing that made her unique would be lost.

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

Thats one of my biggest regets not to sail on Pacific Sky....but like you if you check my cruise history I too am a Sitmar tragetic

Cheers

Col:)

Hi Jenny,

Thats one of my biggest regets not to sail on Pacific Sky....but like you if you check my cruise history I too am a Sitmar tragetic

Cheers

Col:)

Hi Col, good to know I am not the only one:D.

I also never got to cruise on her but my parents did an Alaska cruise on her as Fairsky in the late 80's (I so wish I could have gone with them).

Jenny

Archived