Rhapsody of the Sea or Pacific Jewel for first cruise

Jamar72

I was looking at booking an 8 day cruise with P&O on Pacific Jewel in December 2011 to celebrate my 40th which is actually in January. After some further researching on the net I have come across a 12 night cruise on Rhapsody of the Seas which will actually mean I am onboard for my birthday.

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons for both of these boats and which you think is better and why.

This will be our first cruise so I want to make sure I make the correct decision. I did notice that Rhapsody is slightly dearer than Pacific Jewel however it is a longer cruise with a few more ports.

Are there sites online where you can get better prices than through Royal Carribean direct? I have come across sites where you can book for P&O and also get an onboard credit included, is this also possible to obtain for Royal Carribean?

Thanks for your help.

I was looking at booking an 8 day cruise with P&O on Pacific Jewel in December 2011 to celebrate my 40th which is actually in January. After some further researching on the net I have come across a 12 night cruise on Rhapsody of the Seas which will actually mean I am onboard for my birthday.

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons for both of these boats and which you think is better and why.

This will be our first cruise so I want to make sure I make the correct decision. I did notice that Rhapsody is slightly dearer than Pacific Jewel however it is a longer cruise with a few more ports.

Are there sites online where you can get better prices than through Royal Carribean direct? I have come across sites where you can book for P&O and also get an onboard credit included, is this also possible to obtain for Royal Carribean?

Thanks for your help.

Hi ,

Go for Rhapasody ...far better ship

Hi ,

Go for Rhapasody ...far better ship

Thanks Fox, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear. I have a preference to now go on this cruise just for the fact that I will actually be on the cruise for my birthday. I'm so glad I hadn't just jumped in and booked the original cruise as I have learned so much just in 24 hours through this site. Now just to get hubby to part with the cash for the deposit :D after I get back the quotes and decide who to book with.

After some further researching on the net I have come across a 12 night cruise on Rhapsody of the Seas which will actually mean I am onboard for my birthday.

I agree...They are both OK.

ROS slighty better ship,

but hey being on board for your birthday...

thats one day you will never forget....:):)

Thanks all. It is now decided for the first cruise to be on the Rhapsody. I have just been watching clips on youtube and I am excited. The ship looks fantastic. I can't wait. I even set up a ticker to start the countdown. :D

Thanks all. It is now decided for the first cruise to be on the Rhapsody. I have just been watching clips on youtube and I am excited. The ship looks fantastic. I can't wait. I even set up a ticker to start the countdown. :D

How exciting!!!!!!! :D You've definately made the right decision!!!:D :D :D

Sharon

Rhapsody is a beautiful ship, pity about the food.If you dont mind pretty average food its the better of the two, but as far as food goes, P&O do a better job.

Regards Frank.

I completely disagree! Having done both in the last 6 months, Rhapsody wins hands down in food over P&O!

As an experienced Rccl traveller and having been on P and O in the past you will find Rhapsody so much better. The dining room is amazing. The show room just so much better. The spaciousness. I would say the inside lower grade cabins on Rhapsody are small though. If you ate going inside cabin try and pay a bit extra and get a larger one as it is worth it. Outsides even on deck two are great. RCL have a much better frequent passenger club too with great benefits. Once you go RCL you will never go PO or Carnival again. Can't wait for Radiance of Seas as it will set a new standard for oz cruising. Have you thought of cruising on that instead?

Hi, I have just returned from Xmas cruise on Rhapsody for my 50th birthday. It was fantastic. Have cruised Norwegian Star and P&O before and definately love Rhapsody. Service and food are excellent. Enjoy :)

I hope P&O are watching this thread because RCI are winning hands down it appears.

I would love no more than for P&O to introduce a couple of new or newer ships onto the local market to counter the influx of frankly newer and nicer ships from other cruise lines.

I have been going on and on about the age and condition of P&O Australia's so called superliners that even I am getting reasonably bored.

I will repeat; We pay top dollar here for a far inferior P&O product.

For instance:

We are a family of 4 and only cruise in school holidays.

October 2010

We paid in excess of $8,100 for a minisuite for ten days on the Pacific Jewel. ($818.00 per day) this was just before it broke down and was dry docked for major repairs.

January 2011

We paid $4,800 for a minisuite for 7 days on the fantastic Rhapsody (685.00 per day)

In January 2013 we are booked in a 2 bed garden villa in the exclusive garden complex on the Norwegian Epic and this will cost us $5613.00 (USD) for 7 days. (I won't work out a daily rate because there is frankly no comparison).

I know you will say that "oh yes but you have to get there", but I woud ask you to work out where the value is.

We deserve better ships here, not past their use by date 3rd or 4th hand old tubs that get tarted up and packed full of friendly fours.

At the moment I would no more consider P&O Aust's old ships than try and fly in the air.

But having said that would like nothing more than to support a company that is very Australian and has the best entertainment staff that I have experienced.

I know I will get the usual P&O lovers and P&O staff members berating me and accusing me of insulting their family members because they enjoyed their one and only P&O cruise and can't wait to get back on the Pacific Sun, but to be honest I don't care. If more people came to the fore as well, eventually we would get newer ships here and I wouldn't have to pay for flights to the us to experience these superliners.

Anyway that is the end of my daily rant, I've got to get back to my job as a Royal Caribbean Rep (only joking).

Paul

October 2010

We paid in excess of $8,100 for a minisuite for ten days on the Pacific Jewel. ($818.00 per day) this was just before it broke down and was dry docked for major repairs.

Hi Paul,

If that is the case then frankly you paid too much. In the last 12-months, I have taken myself, my wife and 2 teenage boys on Sun Princess (7-nights), Dawn Princess (2-nights) and Pacific Dawn (7-nights), and would have only just paid $8k for the lot, actually slightly less. Then I would not waste my money on a mini-suite.

And before you lamblast me as a P&O staff member, I will point out that I work for one of the big four Banks, with nothing to do with travel.

Hi Paul,

If that is the case then frankly you paid too much. In the last 12-months, I have taken myself, my wife and 2 teenage boys on Sun Princess (7-nights), Dawn Princess (2-nights) and Pacific Dawn (7-nights), and would have only just paid $8k for the lot, actually slightly less. Then I would not waste my money on a mini-suite.

And before you lamblast me as a P&O staff member, I will point out that I work for one of the big four Banks, with nothing to do with travel.

Hi

I don't know what it is but I certainly seem to pull a lot of peoples' chains on this site. I don't mean to, (but there seem to be some people, present company excepted, on this site with vested interests who will respond quite venomously to any negative P&O comment)

I wouldn't lambast you at all until I had met you.

It is interesting to note that 2 of cruises you mentioned were Princess cruises and those are usually more expensive.

Maybe I have been turned over pricewise but I only ever book with the cruise lines.

The reason we chose the minsuite was not for any other reason that my boys are 14 & 10 and we originally booked in an outside cabin and this was going to cost us over $6,800. (there are no 4 person balcony cabins on the Jewel) The very nice P&O lady suggested that we get a minisuite for the extra space.

Just for interest sake did you travel in the school holidays for those cruises and if you did, how would I get those prices?

Paul

Hi Paul,

Sun Princess and Pacific Dawn were both in School Holidays. On the basis that you are travelling with two teenage boys I can understand the reason that you went for space. Personally I don't bother as we spend so little time in the cabin. My opinion is that I would rather do three cruises in albeit more cramped accomodation, than one in more expensive - just my choice.

The cruises in question were just commonly available fares, nothing special and booked through a TA. I think I noticed that you are in Perth so that you have extra costs there too.

I am sorry for the 'lamblast' comment, it was meant to be a bit tongue in cheek as I thought you may suggest that I was connected with P&O - I'm not.

To put the record straight, I like any cruise and really any line. I admit I am fond of P&O, but accept that others are not. I don't mind the older ships, but I also accept that some do not. When I cruise I look for the positive, being on a ship at sea is all that matters. I respect P&O for sticking by the Australian market when no one else did - call me silly for it but they do still provide a good product in my opinion.

To finish, we have differing points of view regarding P&O - neither of us is right or wrong, just different, both our opinions hold true for us. Shall we just agree to differ and move on?

Cheers,

Hi Paul,

Sun Princess and Pacific Dawn were both in School Holidays.

The cruises in question were just commonly available fares, nothing special and booked through a TA. I think I noticed that you are in Perth so that you have extra costs there too.

To finish, we have differing points of view regarding P&O - neither of us is right or wrong, just different, both our opinions hold true for us. Shall we just agree to differ and move on?

Cheers,

I think because we have to fly to get to the ship, the extra that we pay on top of the price for the cruise makes the extra for the larger room not so large a percentage of the total cost. So in a perverse way it's not so much more. (I hope you understand!)

Perhaps I should try the TA next time and give the cruise line the flick when booking.

Hi Paul,

Sun Princess and Pacific Dawn were both in School Holidays.

Cheers,

I think because we have to fly to get to the ship, the extra that we pay on top of the price for the cruise makes the extra for the larger room not so large a percentage of the total cost. So in a perverse way it's not so much more. (I hope you understand!)

Perhaps I should try the TA next time and give the cruise line the flick when booking.

It depends on the line. In RCL group, TAs aren't able to discount, so the price through the line and a TA will be the same. For others TAs are able to discount, so you may be able to get a discount (though it depends on a number of factors, not related to you). Doesn't hurt to shop around when you have a cruise in mind though.

Archived