Your opinions on a debate between DH and I?

Dee777

I have a question regarding our cabin on the Glory this month. DH and I were discussing our forthcoming cruise last night and as he suffers from mal debarquement as well as seasickness.

As usual, he is being a silly keep-a-stiff-upper-lip kind of guy, and after I suggested he may like to start taking meclizine the night before we get on the ship he is pooh-pooing the suggestion. We are in an aft cabin, Empress deck. I told him we would very likely feel more motion back there than from the upper deck balcony cabins we have had on our past 2 cruises. He disagrees.

We have never had an aft balcony. I love cruising and never have a problem during or after a cruise no matter how rough the seas.

DH on the other hand has both times before and after (the mal debarquement lasted over 2 months). You may ask why it is that I am so adamant that he take something to try to help. It is so I don't have to hear the complaining lol

Thanks, everyone and have a great day!

Of COURSE he should take something to prevent the seasickness. If he doesn't then he must enjoy it!!

Empress Deck is where we prefer to have cabins but midship is definitely less rock then aft!

I don't know if aft on that deck is worse than midship on a higher deck because we would never book there.Both of us suffer from motion sickness BUT we BOTH take meds right before the ship sails(not the night before) and continue during the cruise to be OK.

I would have chosen a mid ship balcony. I tried aft and didnt care for the extra walking, the extra vibration, and just plain not as convenient.

If you know he might suffer from being seasick, if it hits, he cant just go back to the cabin and get rid of it in the aft with the extra motion. Once I was by the aft elevators up on Lido and had to get mid ship.. right then!! it hit me, but I was fine once I got midship.

Aft balconys arent for everyone.

That is a tough one. You will feel more movement the higher up you go, but you will also feel more movement as you get closer to the Aft (back) or Forward (front) of the ship. I always take a half of meclazine a couple of days before the cruise and a whole one the day before. I always take a whole one every night on the cruise. I love it when we fly home after a cruise because I can read on the plane without getting sick!

Wiz

If the medicine has no ill effects, I don't see why he doesn't just take it??? but I'm a woman...

I have been in aft cabins (read that as "only 10 more cabins till the end of the ship") down on Riviera, and also upper, and honestly, I don't remember too much rocking, etc. So it might not be too much worse than your previous cabins. But, again, why take the chance??

I get motion sickness horribly and always have to take something on a cruise. I don't, however, start taking anything ahead of time, especially something that will make me sleepy. I simply take Bonine once I am on the ship and continue it every 12 hours. If I forget to take it, I will get sick, however, as long as I take it I am fine!! Has he ever tried Bonine? They even sell it on most of the Carnival ships now because it works so well.

I get motion sickness horribly and always have to take something on a cruise. I don't, however, start taking anything ahead of time, especially something that will make me sleepy. I simply take Bonine once I am on the ship and continue it every 12 hours. If I forget to take it, I will get sick, however, as long as I take it I am fine!! Has he ever tried Bonine? They even sell it on most of the Carnival ships now because it works so well.

Meclizine is the drug in Bonine, our daughter gave me what she had left from her Christmas cruise (a couple doses) and as they are chewable I am seriously thinking of crushing them up into his coffee :D

I have a question regarding our cabin on the Glory this month. DH and I were discussing our forthcoming cruise last night and as he suffers from mal debarquement as well as seasickness.

As usual, he is being a silly keep-a-stiff-upper-lip kind of guy, and after I suggested he may like to start taking meclizine the night before we get on the ship he is pooh-pooing the suggestion. We are in an aft cabin, Empress deck. I told him we would very likely feel more motion back there than from the upper deck balcony cabins we have had on our past 2 cruises. He disagrees.

We have never had an aft balcony. I love cruising and never have a problem during or after a cruise no matter how rough the seas.

DH on the other hand has both times before and after (the mal debarquement lasted over 2 months). You may ask why it is that I am so adamant that he take something to try to help. It is so I don't have to hear the complaining lol

Thanks, everyone and have a great day!

it will be you with the seasickness being you are getting so worked up about it beforehand.

i have been aft on four ships. it was only on the spirit class vessels that i seemed to feel it.

if he`s not worrying about it, you should cease worrying about it too.

Forgive me for being lazy and not reading all the replies. :o

Is he refusing ANY seasick prevention, or just medication? I ask because there are seasick bands you wear on your wrist that he might want to give a try. Meclizine always makes me drowsy, so I'm reluctant to take it because I don't want to sleep my cruise away or be a zombie all week.

That being said, nothing, and I mean NOTHING prevented me from getting a bit queasy when we hit 12-foot swells on a previous cruise. From the barf bags supplied in the elevator bays, the sounds of the retching coming from almost every cabin we passed, and the hallways full of "Do Not Disturb" signs, I think the same was true for most of our fellow passengers. :eek: (Of course, my hubby never gets motion sick and thought the motion was "fun.") So even if you're not in an aft cabin, if you hit rough seas and are prone to sea sickness, you're going to get sick.

Bottom line - it's your hubby's decision whether he wants to take preventative measures, but tell him that if he doesn't at least try to do something about the sea sickness, then he needs to just suck it up and not complain about it. :p

If you were the one suffers from seasickness, I would put my foot down and would NOT allow such foolishness.

But since he is the one who suffers, I wouldn't worry about a thing. Enjoy your aft cabin and let him enjoy whatever comes his way.

I have never noticed more motion on the lido than main, but I do wear the patch. Why not take it with you? The patch is suppose to work right away.

I understand him not taking it ahead of time.....because he is a man, and you know nothing ;) (I have found that if I can get a third party to make a suggestion to my DH, that it is a great idea!!!!)

I feel for you, but try not to stress about it. If it helps, most of us are married to men just like him. :eek:

My husband suffers from motion sickness and always starts taking his bonine the day before we cruise. In fact when he goes fishing in Alaska he has to start taking it two days ahead of time. We also only book a balcony cabin on the lowest possible deck right directly in the middle of the ship. This has seem to work well for us. Convince you husband to start taking his meds the day before, it would make for a much more pleasant cruise.

You will have to somehow make him think taking it a day ahead is his idea and then it will work....lol. That is what I have to do anyway. If I can get DH to research something and he reads a review in the direction I am leaning he thinks it is his idea to buy, do, take something.

Just an idea ;)

Thank you for all your input and advice. I don't want any misunderstanding, I am not stressed about this just want DH to enjoy the cruise as much as I am going to! And of course don't want to detract from my experience by watching (and listening to) him be miserable. Perhaps a tad selfish? heh heh And, I think if he has a miserable time he may not want to cruise again :eek:

I think we can come to an understanding somehow... as some have said maybe a little reverse psychology may be in order lol

Thank you again!

Maybe ask one of his guy buddies to suggest that he take medicine. I know if I suggest something, my husband just blows me off. But if his BEST FRIEND suggests the same darn thing, then it's suddenly a good idea. I have learned (after 18 years) to just call his buddy and ask him to make a suggestion.

Archived