Libations - so little time

Milwaukeeee

I'm not a big drinker but I was just wondering what is your MUST HAVE CRUISE DRINK? Have you found anything new that has become your must have at home also?

Prefer recommendations from those not on the beverage package because we will be paying separately for each one so really want to know what you would pay cash for at home or on the ship. Thanks.

Our "must have" drinks included different martinis at the Martini Bar and wine with dinner.

We really re-discovered martinis on board 5 or 6 years ago and have found several that we enjoy and now make at home, or have elsewhere.

The wine by the bottle selection on board is very nice. Despite what some say, I also think the prices are pretty reasonable for restaurant/resort type pricing. Another benefit if you're not a big drinker is that you can order a bottle of wine one night and if all you want is part of the bottle they'll cork it and store for the next evening for you. This has allowed us to try some nice wines when we otherwise might have ordered just a glass from their much smaller wine by the glass list.

We're not big on frozen drinks and have found that the margaritas and similar drinks on board are made with too much mixer and of a type of mixer that we're not crazy about. That doesn't mean they are bad - just not our style. So we tend to stick with simpler drinks, martinis and wine.

OH! One other big one although we don't drink these very often: If you like hot coffee drinks with liqueur they make some great ones at the Coffee Bar! Check those out for sure.

If you are traveling to an area around the Virgin Islands and like tropical drinks, then when at port seek out a "Pain Killer". A fantastic drink that is kind of like a dry pina coloda (although that sounds like an oxymoron). It originated in Tortola but is common throughout the Virgin Islands, including St. Thomas. They didn't know how to make them, nor had the proper ingredients, on the ship and the drink isn't known on most other areas of the Caribbean.

Our "must have" drinks included different martinis at the Martini Bar and wine with dinner.

We have the same taste...I love my Grey Goose Martini. Not real knowledgeable about wine but love it at dinner also.

We really re-discovered martinis on board 5 or 6 years ago and have found several that we enjoy and now make at home, or have elsewhere.

I heard the martini sampler is a good way to have some new variety. What new one did you particularly like?

The wine by the bottle selection on board is very nice. Despite what some say, I also think the prices are pretty reasonable for restaurant/resort type pricing. Another benefit if you're not a big drinker is that you can order a bottle of wine one night and if all you want is part of the bottle they'll cork it and store for the next evening for you. This has allowed us to try some nice wines when we otherwise might have ordered just a glass from their much smaller wine by the glass list.

I'm so happy you mentioned this. We did this on our last cruise on Holland and when I called to ask if it could be done on Celebrity I was told that you could buy the bottle and drink just half. "Oh yes, then you take the rest back to your room."

I said you mean I have to carry it around after dinner? What if I want to finish it at dinner the next night? "Oh, just bring it back in with you." Sure, I'm going to go walking around carrying my bottle of wine. Duh!!!!

We're not big on frozen drinks and have found that the margaritas and similar drinks on board are made with too much mixer and of a type of mixer that we're not crazy about. That doesn't mean they are bad - just not our style. So we tend to stick with simpler drinks, martinis and wine.

OH! One other big one although we don't drink these very often: If you like hot coffee drinks with liqueur they make some great ones at the Coffee Bar! Check those out for sure. I think I will. I'm not a Starbuck person...always have to have someone with me to tell me what to get...have had some good ones but can't remeber their names. Isn't there some coffee drink you can get at the bar where they add kahlua and Baileys?

If you are traveling to an area around the Virgin Islands and like tropical drinks, then when at port seek out a "Pain Killer". A fantastic drink that is kind of like a dry pina coloda (although that sounds like an oxymoron). It originated in Tortola but is common throughout the Virgin Islands, including St. Thomas. They didn't know how to make them, nor had the proper ingredients, on the ship and the drink isn't known on most other areas of the Caribbean.

Now that's something I'd also like to try....the name is needed at my stage of life...."Pain Killer" :)

Hope my red typing shows up in regards to your comments.

I know they are a dollar or 2 more, but the 3G at the mixology bar - and many of the others are unique and for me not to be missed. I have been a martini girl in the past, but I'm a mixology girl now!

Angie

OK, you have my attention. What is a 3G and where is the mixology bar? We will be on Millennium next month.

Thanks for your hint.

...I heard the martini sampler is a good way to have some new variety. What new one did you particularly like?...

We've tried the sampler but more recently they've increased the size and made it pretty expensive. Not sure why. Over the years I've found I like the Apple Martini (Celebrity bartenders make them strong and not too sweet), Citrus martini (from the old menu) and the Martini Delight. Also the espresso martini or creamy chocolate are fantastic for after dinner. That's almost too many as on some nights I also like a basic gin (Sapphire) or vodka (Grey Goose) martini with olives too.

...[i'm so happy you mentioned this. We did this on our last cruise on Holland and when I called to ask if it could be done on Celebrity I was told that you could buy the bottle and drink just half. "Oh yes, then you take the rest back to your room." I said you mean I have to carry it around after dinner? What if I want to finish it at dinner the next night? "Oh, just bring it back in with you." Sure, I'm going to go walking around carrying my bottle of wine. Duh!!!!

That is just plain silly - unfortunately it is well known on these boards that the telephone operators on Celebrity are pretty badly informed about what actually transpires on the ship. The only time we'll carry a bottle of wine is those very rare occasions we have wine in our cabin (gift or brought on board) that we decide at the last minute to bring to the dining room - if we know ahead of time we'll give it to our room steward and it will be chilled, if appropriate, and waiting at our table with correct glasses. Otherwise they'll hold unfinished bottles for you in the dining room or, on request, send them to your stateroom, another dining area, or even to a lounge.

Yep, the Pain Killer is great, I had one at Tortola that was fantastic.

Can you say whats all in it?(quote]

A quick google search will give you specific recipes. It has rum, cream of coconut, orange juice, pineapple juice, nutmeg & cinnamon. I'm sure there's other ways to make it, can be blended or over ice.

A Pain Killer is known as a Killer Bee in Nevis. Let me tell you - the name is fitting. The rum used is 151 and after 4-5 of them, I managed to fall and break three ribs and didn't feel a thing...until several hours later. So...be very careful with those drinks! lol

MY favorite drink that I can't wait to have again next week is A Pair of Roses. It's basically a slightly sweeter martini with a nice rose essence. Hard to explain but it is so yummy. I had them in the theatre and the lobby bar.

A Pain Killer is known as a Killer Bee in Nevis. Let me tell you - the name is fitting. The rum used is 151 and after 4-5 of them, I managed to fall and break three ribs and didn't feel a thing...until several hours later. So...be very careful with those drinks! lol

Pain Killer is made with normal strength Caribbean rum where I've had them. Some bars offer them with a very large amount of extra rum, most just offer them one way - with an ounce or two of regular stregth rum.

Yep, the Pain Killer is great, I had one at Tortola that was fantastic.

Can you say whats all in it?(quote]

According to drinkmixers.com the recipe is:

2 oz

Pusser's® dark rum

1 oz cream of coconut

4 oz pineapple juice

1 oz orange juice

Shake or stir ingredients, and pour over ice in a tall glass. Sprinkle nutmeg on top, and serve,

I had my first in St. Maarten and they used three kinds of rum; 1 oz. Bacardi Light, 1 oz Bacardi Gold, and 1/2 oz Bacardi Black.

oh-oh, the mixology bar is on the s-clas ships! Sorry.

When you sail on a s-class well worth working through the menu in the mixology bar - but not in one night!

Angie

The mixology bar on S class ships is often called the Molecular bar and the Tastings Bar

:)

According to drinkmixers.com the recipe is:

Shake or stir ingredients, and pour over ice in a tall glass. Sprinkle nutmeg on top, and serve,

I had my first in St. Maarten and they used three kinds of rum; 1 oz. Bacardi Light, 1 oz Bacardi Gold, and 1/2 oz Bacardi Black.

I can't wait to try one. I think I like the three rums even better :) THANKS.

In the am: Cappuccino

Before dinner: 20th Anniversary Martini

At dinner: Champagne; GOOD champagne that is

After dinner: Cognac (VSOP or XO)

I am going to tinker with that PainKiller recipe this afternoon whil waiting for the SuperBowl to kick off. Hope I don't miss the game; or the commercials....:eek:

In the am: Cappuccino

Before dinner: 20th Anniversary Martini

At dinner: Champagne; GOOD champagne that is

After dinner: Cognac (VSOP or XO)

I am going to tinker with that PainKiller recipe this afternoon whil waiting for the SuperBowl to kick off. Hope I don't miss the game; or the commercials....:eek:

Does anyone know what the 20th Anniversary Martini is made with and/or the Skinny Martini? Leaving in less than 2 weeks and trying to plan my day

One word: FLIRTINI

I first tried a flirtini on Mercury in 2005. My husband ordered it and said you have to try this you'll like it. Well not only did I like it, I loved it.

For my birthday last year my husband finally went out and bought all the ingredients and we made them at home. While they were very good, being on the ship makes them taste better.

Does anyone know what the 20th Anniversary Martini is made with and/or the Skinny Martini? Leaving in less than 2 weeks and trying to plan my day

I believe it's called The 20 Year Martini and its made with Grey Goose La Poire, Rose Essence, Fresh Lime, Fresh Sage, Passion-Ginger Foam and Brut Champagne. It's really good. I don't know anything about the Skinny Martini.

Susan

I believe it's called The 20 Year Martini and its made with Grey Goose La Poire, Rose Essence, Fresh Lime, Fresh Sage, Passion-Ginger Foam and Brut Champagne. It's really good. I don't know anything about the Skinny Martini.

Susan

The 20th Anniversary Martini is hands down my favorite drink. If I could figure out how to make that damn foam at home I'd be drinking them at home!! I love that drink!

Archived