Wonder Lake and the bugs...

Luckyroot

I've read that mid summer (July) is really bad for the mosquitoes at Wonder Lake, and that by September, they are gone. But I can't seem to find info for the first week or 2 of June.

Are the state birds bad then? Do I need one of those bug masks? (I HATE bugs near my face)

Thanks for the help!

I'm not taking chances - *I* will have a headnet. But there are 6 in my party, and I'd rather not buy them for all 6 if the mosquitoes aren't horrendous. The rest might be fine with bug spray, I'm just the crazy one in our family lol.

Anyone with personal experience? Is early June just annoying, or horrifying?

The density of mosquitos depends on the weather in the spring, so it's anyone's guess as to how bad they'll be the first week in June.

Some mosquitos (the big, slow ones) winter over under the snow. They are out and buzzing around before the snow is even all melted. They lay eggs in melt ponds and the first generation of small, fast ones appears and reproduces in a few weeks. That's when the mosquitos start to get bad.

In a "good" mosquito year when there are few around, we get a warm spell followed by a cold snap of zero or below. This kills the larvae or young mosquitos before they can get going. In a "bad" year it just keep warming up and the things keep reproducing...

Oh dear - this could be a real problem for us. My husband is a magnet for mosquitos.

I don't know where Wonder Lake is, but I'm pretty sure we're not going there. Are mosquitos very prevalent in the usual tourist ports all during the warmer months? If this is so, he may cancel the cruise! Yikes. Does everyone usually wear mosquito repellant every day?

My daughter and I are doing the zip line in Ketchikan. Do the mosquitos stay close to the ground or will we be bothered by them standing on the landing areas high in the trees while waiting for our next zip? Should we wear bug repellent? Do we have to use Deet? This is not an issue I'd considered.

Thanks.

Over the years I've come up with alternatives to using head nets at Wonder Lake (Denali NP) and other buggy areas. A couple yards of netting can be bought cheaply at most frabric stores and you can wrap yourself up as you please.

Ex Officio has a line of bug repellant clothing that works well for me especially the socks, pants and neck wraps. Not cheap, but I wear the same stuff for gardening in Texas.

I avoid wearing perfumes and even scented grooming products and avoid wearing bright colors that seem to attract bugs.

I dislike mosquitos but hate No See Ums!

Archived