Cruise ship musician (RCCL) found dead (suspected foul play) in Cozumel

bguppies

Found this USA Today article in my newsreader this morning.

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2011/02/royal-caribbean-allure-of-the-seas-crew-member-found-dead/141831/1?csp=34travel&utm_

Sad that one of my favorite ports is stricken with this.

Just have to be more vigilant now like any other city we visit.

Bill

Very Very sad....

I was also wondering if she went off by herself to a secluded area. It doesn't make what happened any less worse, but any of these reports concern me for my upcoming trip.

Could have been a fellow crew member who she went to the beach with also... (I have rarely seen crew members go ashore not in some sort of group to a beach.)

May not have been anyone in Cozumel involved...

Too early to tell.

That would scare me more :(

Exactly...

That is why I am stunned by how many people overreact to reports of violence in a port.

I am honestly more afraid in parts of most US cities, than any port I have visited on our cruises. (except Ocho Rios, which was ridiculous.Will never go back)

Majority of murders are committed by somebody the victim knew....

So.....

Bill

Same here, regarding our visit to New York City.

It's in your head. New York City is one of the safest cities in America. Per a 2009 Forbes article, it's not even in the top 15 most dangerous cities:

http://www.forbes.com/2009/04/23/most-dangerous-cities-lifestyle-real-estate-dangerous-american-cities.html

New York City is nothing like it was in the 60's and 70's. Much improved.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/02/06/ap/business/main7324819.shtml

Additional information in this article. Apparently she did go ashore with another crew member. The other person mysteriously turned up in a Cancun hospital. The police are keeping very hush/hush on what they know at this time it looks like.

It's in your head. New York City is one of the safest cities in America. Per a 2009 Forbes article, it's not even in the top 15 most dangerous cities:

http://www.forbes.com/2009/04/23/most-dangerous-cities-lifestyle-real-estate-dangerous-american-cities.html

I agree, in my visits to NYC I've found nothing but hospitality from the natives, although they talk too fast:D just kidding.

I do not wander into areas I'm not sure of and I stick with someone who knows the city. I do the same in ports.

We should all practice common sense. Unfortunately our interactions with others involve a small amount of trust, it's so sad when that trust is used against us.

Prayers go out to the crew member and their family.

Carole

Exactly...

That is why I am stunned by how many people overreact to reports of violence in a port.

I am honestly more afraid in parts of most US cities, than any port I have visited on our cruises. (except Ocho Rios, which was ridiculous.Will never go back)

Majority of murders are committed by somebody the victim knew....

So.....

Bill

Please tell me about your experiences in Ocho Rios...I have a cruise booked there! Better to be informed before I get there. It may determine what I plan to do while there. Thanks

Found this USA Today article in my newsreader this morning.

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2011/02/royal-caribbean-allure-of-the-seas-crew-member-found-dead/141831/1?csp=34travel&utm_

Sad that one of my favorite ports is stricken with this.

Just have to be more vigilant now like any other city we visit.

Bill

Could just as easily be Miami, Galveston, Ft. Lauderdale, Jacksonville, oor any other Carnival port including Charleston. Murder rate in Coz is less than almost any US city.

I have been to Ocho Rios twice and would go back, but with that said I would highly recommend going with a Carnival (or you cruise line) excursion. The residents in Jamica are very competitive about what they are selling and frankly will be right in your face to try and get you to buy their wares. Be polite, but offer them a firm NO Thank You. IF you are not interested in what they are selling do not look like you are because they are aggressive. Again I still had a great time and it the falls are beautiful. Just go with friends in a group and have fun.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/02/06/ap/business/main7324819.shtml

Additional information in this article. Apparently she did go ashore with another crew member. The other person mysteriously turned up in a Cancun hospital. The police are keeping very hush/hush on what they know at this time it looks like.

The story I read said that in fact the second person was a passenger who was going to the hospital for some reason but there was no connection at all between the two people.

I have been to Ocho Rios twice (via Montego Bay) with two Carnival Excursions. Felt completely safe. Went to Dunns Falls, and Mystic Mountain. I hope to go back one day, and will choose a Carnival excursion. Mystic Mountian is just gorgeous, and very nicely kept and run. Not sure what we will choose next time, but don't want to stay on the ship. Jamaica is really beautiful!

Please tell me about your experiences in Ocho Rios...I have a cruise booked there! Better to be informed before I get there. It may determine what I plan to do while there. Thanks

We were just in Ocho Rios a couple weeks ago. If you want to go do something, go with a tour

I highly recommend that you use Peat Taylor Tours. Less than Carnival, and we had a great time.

Agreed the people selling their goods are a bit pushy. And they are at the falls too. But is was fun never the less.

We visited Montego Bay a few years ago. I don't know how it compares to Ocho Rios, but I can tell you that it left me with a mostly negative impression of Jamaica. For me, Jamaica ranks below Nassau as my least favorite port of call.

The country itself is full of natural beauty. Most of the people we met were friendly.

One of the problems I had was with how pushy the vendors were. They followed us and stepped in front of us multiple times, even when we politely said NO several times. Worse I've ever seen. Also, there was litter all over the place. Grafitti. Construction project that looked like they were ongoing for decades.

I have been to several impoverish areas of this world, and while most are not too pretty to look at, I thought Jamaica was one of the worst.

With that said, I would recommend sticking with a Carnival tour and if you do venture out, stay in the "touristy" areas where there are lots of people, even with the pushy vendors.

Read here for more information:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1147.html#safety

I don't mean to scare or worry you, like I said the natural beauty is there and most people were friendly. Maybe you'll find Ocho Rios to be much nicer.

Just not my cup of tea.

Very sad....I did notice the articles both say she was in a "remote" beach?

any updates on this?? I do think there is safety in numbers in Cozumel

I feel fine about grabbing a cab and going to a "known" beach and/or doing a tour

I would personally NOT want to rent a jeep or a scooter....my friends had a scooter accident in Bahamas, what a horrible mess that was...

also have seen jeep crashes (lives lost)...and also stories of people in "accidents" being shaken down by the cops

I wonder HOW this poor gal got to the "remote" beach? alone or ?? did she have a rental car/jeep?

(anymore getting the who/what where why of news stories is just about impossible I have found)

any updates?? thanks

That was my point. ;)

If nothing else, hopefully this experience will make people aware of what can happen and make sure everyone travels in pairs or groups. UNfortunately these things happen every day. This certainly isn't the first time something like this has happened involving crew members on ships or cruisers for that matter.

My heart and prayers go out to this young lady's family.

Nita

Very sad....I did notice the articles both say she was in a "remote" beach?

any updates on this?? I do think there is safety in numbers in Cozumel

I feel fine about grabbing a cab and going to a "known" beach and/or doing a tour

I would personally NOT want to rent a jeep or a scooter....my friends had a scooter accident in Bahamas, what a horrible mess that was...

also have seen jeep crashes (lives lost)...and also stories of people in "accidents" being shaken down by the cops

I wonder HOW this poor gal got to the "remote" beach? alone or ?? did she have a rental car/jeep?

(anymore getting the who/what where why of news stories is just about impossible I have found)

any updates?? thanks

The Yucatan News reported that the other person mentioned in previous reports died in the hospital.

http://www.yucatan.com.mx/20110208/nota-18/74341-muere-turista-de-ee.uu.-que-habia-desaparecido-junto-con-una-polaca.htm

..she died Monday night after aspirating her tongue piercing. It also says the authorities didn't get a chance to question her(the American) about the other woman's (the Polish crew woman's) death. (roughly translated)

In an updated story, the Attorney General of Quintana Roo on Tuesday ruled out any link between the employee of the cruise and the American.

http://www.yucatan.com.mx/20110208/nota-18/74755-ofrecen-condolencias-a-turista-estadounidense-fallecida-en-cancun.htm

This will be my second time on Conquest. But my first Bahamas Cruise!!!

Normally we just get off at ports and walk around and shop. But we were thinking of doing something different since we will be bring our two young children 5 and 6..

Are you able to leave the kids on the ship, and not take them to the ports?

So if you know anything to do that is fun, places to avoid please let me know!!!

Is it better to book through carnival or wait till you get off the boat to do things?

Archived