Best Place to Eat King Crab Legs?

esquire20

HI, I am planning to take a trip to Alaska in the near future, I see alot of places on the boards for eating Salmon Bakes and Dungeness Crabs. Has anyone found a good place to eat King Crab Legs at any of the ports or in Vancouver or Fairbanks besides the ship. Thanks in Advance, Leslie

Tracy's Crab Shack in Juneau - best damn crab legs (and crab soup!) EVER!!! Right at the cruise ship dock near the library/parking garage. Google it - expensive but well worth the $$$$!!!!!!

Yes indeed! I can't wait to be back in May to enjoy those wonderful crab legs again:)

Do you know if Tracy's Crab Shack is open on Sunday's? We will be in Juneau on a Sunday and hope that they are open.

Thanks,

Calypso45

Right off their website -

Serving Alaska's Finest King Crab!

Open May 4th - Sept. 25th

10:30 am-7:00 pm, Daily

Susan :)

Wow! I just looked at the web site. One leg weighs about 12 oz.! I thought I knew (and loved) Alaskan King Crab, but I've never seen one that size. They say 1 bucket of large serves 2-3 people and has 3 - 4 legs. Thinking about it though, one of the regular posters, whose name eludes me right now, has a hand filled with 3 shrimp as his avatar (right term?) We get Gulf of Mexico seafood and have never seen any that big, so I guess Alaska grows everything big.

Interestingly, at Tracy's - for those who love the tv show "Deadliest Catch" she posts a sign on the front of the food cart of which boat and crew caught the crab she is serving that day. We had our crab legs from the Time Bandit, which we later saw in port in Homer (I got my picture taken with a crew member in front of the ship - so exciting for this DC fan!;))

If you are going to Denali, I had King Crab Legs at King Salmon Restaurant in the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge. It was the best crab I've ever had in my life!!! You can see photos on my blog:

http://moonprincess.com/travel/379/

They also had a wonderful Alaskan blueberry ice cream for dessert!! I'm drooling just talking about it. Take me back!!

Interestingly, at Tracy's - for those who love the tv show "Deadliest Catch" she posts a sign on the front of the food cart of which boat and crew caught the crab she is serving that day. We had our crab legs from the Time Bandit, which we later saw in port in Homer (I got my picture taken with a crew member in front of the ship - so exciting for this DC fan!;))

Thanks for the hint. We've got 3 DC fans heading up there in May. Will definitely have to go there for some crab. Having Time Bandit crab would be just fine - met Jon & Andy, along with Sig this summer. Now we'll get to enjoy some of their catch.

We live in Seattle and won't eat King Crab (because it's all frozen here). However, we had the best crab (King) in Skagway and a hole-in-the-wall place called Big-un's. They come up from New Orleans for tourist season and cook crab - Dungeness until they go south to Seattle and King all season. Fresh out of the water that morning. Best we've ever had!!

We live in Seattle and won't eat King Crab (because it's all frozen here). However, we had the best crab (King) in Skagway and a hole-in-the-wall place called Big-un's. They come up from New Orleans for tourist season and cook crab - Dungeness until they go south to Seattle and King all season. Fresh out of the water that morning. Best we've ever had!!

Actually, what people are eating in Alaska in the summer (or even here what is in the stores basically all year round) has been frozen or what is termed flash frozen (the fine print always says has been previously frozen) because commercial King Crab season is in January.

Now, Dungeness season starts at different parts of the State at different times, but is in the summer, so there is a great possibility if you order that during the summer you would get it fresh.

Susan in Anchorage :)

(the fine print always says has been previously frozen)

This term "previously frozen" always puzzles me (not in Alaska, but in the seafood section of nearly all supermarkets). Why, if it was frozen when they received it, do they allow it to thaw before selling it? Seems like if they left it frozen it would last much longer once you got it home.

Just googled and Red Crab season in Bristol Bay (that's where they do the Deadliest Catch shows from) was October 15 in 2010. So different times for different crabs and then even in the species themselves.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Archived