Best Place to Eat King Crab Legs?

esquire20

Interestingly, at Tracy's - for those who love the tv show "Deadliest Catch" she posts a sign on the front of the food cart of which boat and crew caught the crab she is serving that day. We had our crab legs from the Time Bandit, which we later saw in port in Homer (I got my picture taken with a crew member in front of the ship - so exciting for this DC fan!;))

Time Bandit was the supplier du jour when we were there too! Ever since we've been back we've looked for crab this good, but no luck. Wegman's had really nice looking legs around the holidays, but the price-OUCH! Here's a tease!

DSC_0553.jpg.26eea1e4ea4b09f0880970ae553bf307.jpg

I'm really excited about checking out Tracy's in Juneau before our helo excursion, but couldn't see it on the Google map street view. I saw a shack-like building on the side of a parking lot next to where the ships tie up. Does that sound like it?

I'm really excited about checking out Tracy's in Juneau before our helo excursion, but couldn't see it on the Google map street view. I saw a shack-like building on the side of a parking lot next to where the ships tie up. Does that sound like it?

Here it is-it kind of reminds me of the food trailers at the fair!

DSC_0554.jpg.6d6b8f42f5edb56f92e80e73e4e753ab.jpg

• 1 month later...
This term "previously frozen" always puzzles me (not in Alaska, but in the seafood section of nearly all supermarkets). Why, if it was frozen when they received it, do they allow it to thaw before selling it? Seems like if they left it frozen it would last much longer once you got it home.

They thaw it so people can use it immediately. IF you know you want frozen, call the grocery store before you head there or ask the butcher. They usually have some in the back (unless it is on special and they are sold out) that is still frozen.

It is against the law to sell refrozen fish/meat.

We are in the food shipping business. I buy 4-6 size shrimp (prawns) for tempura and ALWAYS have to call or as you say, it will be thawed out when I get to the store. Most grocery stores don't carry 4-6 size shrimp very often or in a large quantity, so there isn't even any in the back.

I have yet to see FRESH Alaska King crab anytime except in the late fall/winter. There is some King that comes out of Russia and Far Northern Canada in the spring/summer but fish/meat MUST be labeled with country of origin. If someone is stating they have FRESH King crab, it may be Russian or Canadian. It is not FRESH Alaskan.

We have had excellent king crab at both of these restaurants, just wonderful!

If you prefer a sit-down restaurant, we had King Crab legs at the Twisted Fish in Juneau. Very good. Here's a link to their website: http://twistedfish.hangaronthewharf.com/

Also, had some of the best clam chowder I've ever eaten at a little hut on the dock in Ketchikan.

If you are going to Denali, I had King Crab Legs at King Salmon Restaurant in the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge. It was the best crab I've ever had in my life!!! You can see photos on my blog:

http://moonprincess.com/travel/379/

They also had a wonderful Alaskan blueberry ice cream for dessert!! I'm drooling just talking about it. Take me back!!

Fish house(?) in Ketchikan. It's right next to the lumberjack show area. Amazing!!! And nit as expensive. Short walk from the pier and on the water. We watched the boats that were leaving for fishing excursions while we ate

You will not get Alaska King crab on a typical cruise ship in Alaska. You might on a specialty ship or a ship owned by Crystal Cruise lines.

Princess did offer a few legs as an appetizer on their "Voyage of the Glaciers" last season.

If you like hole-in-the-wall places, we stumbled on Bigun's in Skagway. Incredibly fresh and simple. It's run by a couple who winter in New Orleans and summer in Alaska. The place is nothing to write home about, but that kind of has it's own charm.

I've read a couple of reports saying Bigun's has closed. Too bad, I'd have loved to try it out!

I've read a couple of reports saying Bigun's has closed. Too bad, I'd have loved to try it out!

Coreyatmn... The best king crab we ever tasted was at the oceanaire in Minneapolis...flown in fresh that day and even better than what we have had in AK over the years, but very expensive ($75 or so!). I have read reports that this restaurant has gone downhill a bit lately, but when we were there last in '08 it was sill wonderful, and a lot closer than AK!

Ditto to everyone that loves this place! It seems expensive cuz its outdoors on picnic tables, but prob. $25-30 for the dinner is not bad or the same at the sit-down restaurants. Chowder, bread, everything is yummy!

I wanted to add pics, but doesn't appear that I can. The legs are really HUGE! and SWEET!!! :D

FYI, these are so expensive & you can really save by getting the same tours when you get off the boat. Do some research & see. Only ship excursions we did, was the train trip in skagway & nite trip in Victoria. Also check out the Duck Tour in Seattle, if that's where your going out of. Read the reviews on Yelp & Trip Advisor, as this tour might not be for everyone.:cool:

Ditto to everyone that loves this place! It seems expensive cuz its outdoors on picnic tables, but prob. $25-30 for the dinner is not bad or the same at the sit-down restaurants. Chowder, bread, everything is yummy!

I wanted to add pics, but doesn't appear that I can. The legs are really HUGE! and SWEET!!! :D

We are anxious to try Tracy's! Question... Can we carry it back onto the ship and eat in our cabin? And just how HUGE is "really huge"???? :o

Yes, you can carry the goodies from Tracy's back aboard the ship - we saw several crew members doing just that on the Amsterdam last June.

As far as how big those suckers are, well, check out the photos on their website (it is NOT an exaggeration!). Literally, they were the size of my wrist and lower arm! And they are DELICIOUS!!!!! We'll be getting some again this year on our Aug. 5th sailing - introducing my niece and her boyfriend to both Alaska and Tracy's! Does it get any better than that????:D

We are anxious to try Tracy's! Question... Can we carry it back onto the ship and eat in our cabin? And just how HUGE is "really huge"???? :o

If the weather is nice, I recommend you enjoy the outdoor experience. They will supply the shell crackers (asked once for crackers at some restaurant & they brought me saltines) & a hammer, but nothing to go. Maybe the ship can help you out here.

I would say that the pics on the webite are pretty accurate, altho you get 1 or 2 legs, not the entire crab. can't remember how many legs you get, but it is alot of meat & you get the soup, etc. too.

Not sure if this is going to work. Will try to attach a photo I took of the bucket of crab legs at Tracy's King Crab Shack in Juneau in August 2010. They are every bit as great as they look. The crab bisque is to die for. They will ship crab legs and bisqu by Fed Ex in the U.S. too. It's kept cold with dry ice.

If it doesn't work, sorry. Attaching photos isn't the easiest thing to do on here.

486839318_Alaska523.jpg.00a9e8d4f0e69d75cbc72ee8ae547822.jpg

Has anyone info on the Timberline Bar and Grill in Juneau? It is at the top when you ride the Mount Roberts Tramway.

Tracy's looks good too. We will be in Juneau with 9000 other folks (5 ships) on the 4th of July....Crab is to be my treat.:)

Archived