NJ Hotel Best for Public Transit

jmb4534

We are cruising on the Summit on 9/4/2011. It looks as though there are some really helpful people here on CC when one is need of information about cruising out of Cape Liberty. Here are my questions:

I just booked flights into EWR for 9/1/2011. We arrive at 9PM. We want a nice, safe hotel preferably with some kind of food service on-site or nearby since we will be getting in so late.

My main concern is that the hotel be easily accesible to public transportation into Manhatten. Our plan is to venture into Manhatten all day on the Friday and Saturday before our cruise. If we decide to stay late in Manhatten, I would prefer to have a more direct route back to the hotel at night. We have no physical limitations and don't mind walking, but I am a big chicken and don't want to walk around in a strange place at night. Is there a hotel or hotels that meet that criteria?

Also, if someone recommends a hotel could you please tell me what the best way to get from EWR to the hotel would be on Thursday night? Also, best way to get from hotel to pier on Sunday?

Thanks for any help! Janelle

The Hilton Newark Penn Station should meet your needs It is connected to the railroad station by an enclosed walkway. You can catch NJ Transit ($5) or PATH ($1.75) trains at the station to take you into Manhattan.

The hotel is in downtown Newark, which is a gritty, urban area and as a result there may be some interesting characters in the railroad station at times, but it's safe.

The hotel has a complimentary shuttle from Newark Airport.

There is a restaurant in the hotel. According to their web page it's open until midnight.

A taxi from the hotel to the cruise terminal should cost about $50.

When hotels are built there are inspected for safety by the various municipal building departments. I imagine that most are inspected periodically as well, though I can't imagine that they would check all of the things behind the walls (e.g., electrical or plumbing), but other than the Carter Hotel in Times Square and perhaps a few cheap no-tell motels, I can't recall any instances of any hotels in this area being unsafe for occupancy (notwithstanding accusations of some building inspectors being on the take). The risk of reserving a room in a hotel that is not safe is quite low.

In New Jersey the hotels with the best transportation to Manhattan are those that are located in Jersey City. PATH trains operate around the clock from Jersey City, and the fare is only $1.75 per person. The area is very walkable, and there are several restaurants in the vicinity (but do be aware that the hotel area in Jersey City is located at Exchange Place, a financial center that will be much less active after the business day). In addition, there are numerous restaurants in close-by Hoboken, a lively place at most hours of day and night, where several restaurants, etc., should be open late into the night (get to Hoboken on either the PATH or light rail train).

Downtown Newark is also reasonably convenient. The Hilton is just a short walk from Ferry Street, the so-called "Ironbound" area of Newark where many good Portuguese restaurants should be open late. Iberia is open until 2 a.m. (weekends until 3 a.m.).

There is much discussion on this board about hotels in Secaucus, but the transportation to Manhattan, while acceptable, is not as good as either Newark or Jersey City. In any case, stay away from the hotels at Newark Airport and Elizabeth, as the transportation service tends to be infrequent, inconvenient, and/or overly expensive.

In terms of being a "chicken," concerned about getting lost at night heading back to the hotel, the Hilton at Newark is easiest since there is an elevated walkway that goes direct from the station to the hotel. The hotels in Jersey City are not terribly difficult to find at night, but you will have to pay attention to your orientation.

I'm not sure if "best" means using public transportation between the airport and the hotel, or if means the most convenient way. By public transportation, you can get the no. 62 bus at each of the passenger terminals at Newark Airport, and for $1.50 exact fare, the bus will quickly take you directly to the Hilton and PATH station at Newark Penn Station. This bus runs around the clock. If going to the hotels in Jersey City, connect from the 62 bus to the PATH train, and ride 4 stops to Exchange Place (or for some Jersey City hotels, ride 2 stops to Journal Square, change trains, and go another 2 stops to Newport). If you're aiming for convenience, a taxi will take you directly from the airport to any of the hotels.

" hotels are built there are inspected for safety by the various municipal building departments"

Thank you for your replies. I'm sorry you misunderstood my question regarding a "safe" hotel. I was referring to the area in which the hotel was located. Some on this board had mentioned that some areas were not desirable if you needed to get around on foot.

We sail out of New York and New Jersey all the time. We have stayed at many hotel areas in New Jersey. The best place for transportation to New York, lots of restaurants within walking distance from the hotel, shopping, and your safety is Secause (Medowlands Area). Stay away from the Newark area. We always stay at Embassy suites (which includes breakfast) . The hotel has a driver on site (if you want his private cell for number I have it) that will pick you up at the airport, he will also drive you to the cruise port. Buses stop in front of the hotel that take you into New York for the day.It's a very nice area. My husband is a big baby also and worries about safety.

My main concern is that the hotel be easily accesible to public transportation into Manhatten. Our plan is to venture into Manhatten all day on the Friday and Saturday before our cruise. If we decide to stay late in Manhatten, I would prefer to have a more direct route back to the hotel at night. We have no physical limitations and don't mind walking, but I am a big chicken and don't want to walk around in a strange place at night.

Please don't think I am being snarky but there is no 'e' in Manhattan.

I'm sorry you misunderstood my question regarding a "safe" hotel. I was referring to the area in which the hotel was located. Some on this board had mentioned that some areas were not desirable if you needed to get around on foot.

Ah, a bit different indeed!

Unfortunately, advising on an area is a bit more difficult since perceptions vary so much among people. Some people might consider an area populated by people of different races or economic classes than themselves to be dangerous. Others (such as myself) view an area's safety by preponderance of faster-moving highway traffic, the cause of over 40,000 fatalities each year. And yet others might judge an area's safety by the degree of infrastructure maintenance (will you damage a car from potholes, or trip on the sidewalk?). Yet another criterion is the number of police-reported incidents (though the accuracy and completeness of such reports is often debated, notwithstanding the uniform reporting criteria established by the FBI). Finally, an area that one person might consider to be unsafe is an area that someone else proudly considers to be their home . . . someone that might be sitting next to you in the buffet on board the cruise ship.

If you're concerned about the overall safety of getting around on foot, I would rank Jersey City as safest since its hotel area is newly built, the infrastructure is in good condition, and street traffic is mostly local streets rather than highways. Second choice for me is Newark. Things are a bit older and more run-down, and McCarter Highway (a roadway with relatively fast moving traffic) cuts right through downtown Newark, but overall downtown Newark--including the Ironbound area--is quite walkable. Third choice is Secaucus. Not really designed for walking around, but in the area outside of N.J. highway 3, one can walk safely. Last choice are the hotels near Newark airport, where I believe it is very unsafe to go walking around . . . nearly all the hotels face fast-moving highways with no sidewalks, and any collision with an automobile would likely be fatal. In my analysis here I have avoided making any judgments based on the race or class of people living in any of these areas.

Archived