Tubing the "ditch" in Kauai

socaljo

We leave in 6 days for Hawaii on the Golden Princess. I was going to ask on our roll call, but everyone is so busy right now getting ready to go.... I though I'd ask all you CC wizards!

Now that we have confirmed reservations for tubing the irrigation system, I need to know if on the Princess excursion, the water shoes are provided along with the safety helmet & vest??? I don't know whether to go buy pair for DH or not. I sure knew where to ask after the past few weeks of reading CC. Thanks in advance!

Aloha! :D

I don't believe they provide the water shoes. The Princess Tour takes you to the local vendor who runs these tours. They provide the helmet and the vest, but not the shoes (at least last time we did this they did not) - we had our own. Also, just a heads up - if there is a LOT of rain the day and night before your tour, it may get cancelled. If the water level in the system is too high, they won't go because it can be dangerous getting through the tunnels. That happened to us once.

I don't believe they provide the water shoes. The Princess Tour takes you to the local vendor who runs these tours. They provide the helmet and the vest, but not the shoes (at least last time we did this they did not) - we had our own. Also, just a heads up - if there is a LOT of rain the day and night before your tour, it may get cancelled. If the water level in the system is too high, they won't go because it can be dangerous getting through the tunnels. That happened to us once.

Thanks for that info! Will go grab DH a pair before next week. Mine are packed! :p

Also good info about the rain, gives us a heads up before! Aloha! :D

You will love tubing the ditch - so much fun :D I took my waterproof camera and got some great pictures of us all in our tubes. I liked how we were allowed to free-float the whole way. When we did a similar river-tubing excursion in Belize, we were all connected together and it was pretty uncomfortable and not as much fun.

I don't remember if water shoes were available at the store where you have your lunch, but they're not included. Take some cash - they had some great souvenir shirts.

When I went in 2007, they did provide the water shoes in addition to the helmet and vest. You can call Kauai Backroad Adventures to confirm. They run the excursion for Princess. We had a blast!! And I love Hawaii!

You will love tubing the ditch - so much fun :D I took my waterproof camera and got some great pictures of us all in our tubes. I liked how we were allowed to free-float the whole way. When we did a similar river-tubing excursion in Belize, we were all connected together and it was pretty uncomfortable and not as much fun.

I don't remember if water shoes were available at the store where you have your lunch, but they're not included. Take some cash - they had some great souvenir shirts.

Thanks for the T shirt tip! Love to have a cool t shirt from an unusual place!

I've heard about a lot of snakes in the ditches. Is that true? :confused:

Snakes? :eek: That's not nice to tease me about. There aren't snakes on an island, right??? That's my story & I dont wanna hear otherwise! :p

When I went in 2007, they did provide the water shoes in addition to the helmet and vest. You can call Kauai Backroad Adventures to confirm. They run the excursion for Princess. We had a blast!! And I love Hawaii!

All you CC folks are so knowledgable & helpful! I really appreciate it! That's a great tip to call the tour folks, will do that in the a.m.!

I do have my waterproof camera packed, should be fun to get pics of the hubby tubing & the caves. And if the camera is with me, there are NO pics of ME in a bathing suit on a tube! :D

Thanks again to all. Happy cruising to all & to all a good night!

I believe the company is Kauai Backcountry Adventures. We did the zipline excursion through them - they're a great company.

We did this tour and really enjoyed it. I spent most of my time floating backwards. I'd no sooner get turned forward when I'd hit the bank and turn backward again. Upside was I got great pictures of people going downthe ditch:) Lots of fun as everyone plays along.

Thanks for the tips & good wishes! I did look at the website for the company, and they do have all the equipment. Its says shoes are available for rent, and perhaps at the price of the Princess excursion, they're included. Either way, one less errand for me to do! And their shoes look much sturdier than my water shoes.

Can hardly sit still these days... :D. DH is traveling for business & probably glad he is, just to avoid my hyperness right now! :p Are we there yet?????????????????

We did this tour a few years ago and it was a ton of fun. The van ride up to the put in point is pretty bumpy but the scenery is beautiful. The water is cool (not COLD) when you first get in but you get used to it quickly.

They do have the shoes for rent and if I remember correctly they are pretty cheap.

Enjoy your trip, we want to hear your review of the tour when you return

I would advise you to get DH water shoes. They will come in handy with the rocks, coral and lava you may encounter on all the islands. Good ones will double as sandals and hikers.

Yes, I was just thinking that maybe DH would use water shoes on the other islands too. So, yes, I will pick some up for him.

Enjoy your trip, we want to hear your review of the tour when you return

Yes, I will be back on CC in a couple weeks with tales of our adventures... I can't believe how much I've enjoyed reading about others just getting back & current details. So look for it in early March after our return! ALOHA! :D

Sailing on the Sapphire to Hawaii in a few weeks and have most excursions lined up. Hubby is trying to convince me we should book the tubing adventure, but I'm a little claustrophic. Am OK if I can see daylight and the caves aren't too narrow. Is this tour something I should bypass?

Sailing on the Sapphire to Hawaii in a few weeks and have most excursions lined up. Hubby is trying to convince me we should book the tubing adventure, but I'm a little claustrophic. Am OK if I can see daylight and the caves aren't too narrow. Is this tour something I should bypass?

The safety helmets have headlamps on them!! :D Book the tour! We were waitlisted because I didn't sign up until a couple weeks ago, just got confirmed yesterday. You can always cancel the excursion. Look for posts from me in a couple weeks (we get back 3/2) & I'll let you know how it was! Be like nike... just do it! :p

Archived