Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

I've been reading Cruise Critic for several months now in preparation for my second cruise coming up on 6-16-13. I stumbled upon this thread and got hooked! I've been neglecting my family all week :p reading from the first entry all the way through page 103. I'm glad to know that I am not crazy and that there are other ladies just like me who love packing, making spreadsheets and picking out clothes months before their sail date. I'm looking forward to shopping, planning and getting advice on outfits to wear for my upcoming cruise.

Welcome, Isleboll! Yes, you'll find this fairly addicting. I haven't been on a cruise for some time yet I still read these threads. Great fun to see what everyone is thinking and buying!

We're in Ft Lauderdale tonight and sailing off tomorrow :) I happenned to pop into a Kmart here and they had some great straw hats. I bought one for $10. It looks like it's pretty flexible and able to be squished and retain its shape.

We're in Ft Lauderdale tonight and sailing off tomorrow :) I happenned to pop into a Kmart here and they had some great straw hats. I bought one for $10. It looks like it's pretty flexible and able to be squished and retain its shape.

Bon Voyage, JediMom! Glad you got to FLL with no trouble. Have a wonderful trip!

I am new to this thread but have been watching it for a few weeks. I love, love the photos of the outfits put together with accessories. (Not my strongsuit:o) I also love the fact that some cruisers are putting together thier cruise wardrobe on a budget using second hand shops, sales, etc... Not everyone has a huge budget for clothing esp. after scrimping and saving for a cruise.;) Great work ladies!:D

I was just shopping online for an evening bag and came across this article and thought I would share...

How To Carry Your Handbag

Your handbag can either compliment your outfit or it can detract from your appearance. How many times does one see a woman carring her handbag as if it were a rugby ball, clutched under her arm, or as if it were a suitcase, clenched tightly in one hand held stiffly at her side. When carried correctly, your handbag will enhance and improve your appearence and the following instructions will allow you to do just that.

Handbag With A Handle

Slide your hand through the handle from the outside of the bag and let the handle sit on your wrist, with the palm of your hand facing upwards and your fingers relaxed. Finally, allow your wrist to rest lightly against your waist, so that the body of the handbag lays against the flat of your hip.

Clutch Bag

Grasp the bottom of the clutch bag in your hand, resting it along the length of your index and middle fingers. Allow your hand to rest against the flat of your hip and let your hand and the clutch bag relax to an angle.

Shoulder Bag

Never carry a shoulder bag across your body. The shoulder bag should hand from the shoulder. In order to keep the bag from swinging when walking, hold the center of the front strap and hold it in place. Do not push down on the top of the bag.

Now you can see just how easy it is to carry your handbag correctly, there is no reason why you cannot look your best!

I found this turquoise sun hat with UV protection last year in Mission Beach San Diego for about $7 and love it, but do have to jam it on pretty hard in wind.

But here's what I really need to know - would I be crazy to wear Revlon Ocean polish on a HAL cruise? It's a lovely deep shiny blue green. I love the color and it goes well with my clothes. I'm not quite retirement age but no kid. Will everyone look at me askance? :eek:

35a8ww9.jpg

2mh7ign.jpg

But here's what I really need to know - would I be crazy to wear Revlon Ocean polish on a HAL cruise? It's a lovely deep shiny blue green. I love the color and it goes well with my clothes. I'm not quite retirement age but no kid. Will everyone look at me askance? :eek:

2mh7ign.jpg

My nail tech told me that turquoise is the hot color right now - I'm 51 - and I plan to get this color pedicure myself! Go For It!!

Another delightful cruise! Every moment was a happy memory:)!

We arrived back home last evening. The return drive from Bayonne was much more winter-like than going to the port. We had several snow squalls with white out conditions and high winds. The roads were clear but visibility made for slow driving. BUT, it is February after all!

All photos will be uploaded later today and outfit pix will start to be posted tomorrow (if not sooner).

I had to get creative with heavier clothing while still feeling tropical. I'm not a jeans and sweatshirt kind of cruiser and felt good in my bright colors (that covered more body parts);). The 3 port days were the warmest and comfortable enough for shorts.

There were lots of jeans and sweatshirts walking around. Explorer of the Seas was not built for cold weather, so the pool deck and solarium are open to the elements - nice in the Caribbean, not so nice in New Jersey and half way down the coast:rolleyes:!

There were quite a few Oriental passengers. Oriental women were always dressed well. They have a great sense of style.

More cruise talk coming...but now I want to catch up with the posters.

jkudzu and isleboll: WELCOME to CCF! We're always looking ahead to the Next Cruise (mine is 117 days away,just 1 day before yours, iseboll). Jump in any time with comments, suggestions, pictures.

isleboll: Love, love your post RE How to Carry Your Handbag. I printed it for reference...now that the Cruise Room has a niche for cruise handbags and evening bags.:)

Tabbymom: I can see where all this talk RE hats will give many of us the inspiration to start adding them to our arsenal...perhaps I need to find another niche in the Cruise Room....

The Nail Color - is popular and will look good! Like others, I vote that you Go For It! There is no age issue for mani/pedis.

This is the jacket and scarf I bought specifically for winter cruising. Tan jacket and pastel scarf. (purple cord pants)

232323232%7Ffp%3B62%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D35%3B33%3B3734335nu0mrj

The robes are "One Size Fits All" - not very fashionable, but felt good after getting out of the hot tub!

232323232%7Ffp%3B54%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D35%3B33%3B4489335nu0mrj

This photo shows shorts and a white knit top...my "accessory" doesn't match, but I couldn't resist the photo op!

232323232%7Ffp%3B%3B%3A%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D35%3B33%3B55%3C8335nu0mrj

This is the jacket and scarf I bought specifically for winter cruising. Tan jacket and pastel scarf. (purple cord pants)

232323232%7Ffp%3B62%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D35%3B33%3B3734335nu0mrj

The robes are "One Size Fits All" - not very fashionable, but felt good after getting out of the hot tub!

232323232%7Ffp%3B54%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D35%3B33%3B4489335nu0mrj

This photo shows shorts and a white knit top...my "accessory" doesn't match, but I couldn't resist the photo op!

232323232%7Ffp%3B%3B%3A%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D35%3B33%3B55%3C8335nu0mrj

Brave!

wrcjr98: Yes I did:eek::eek:! DH couldn't believe that I was willing to "hold" Blondie the Python. Blondie was very soft, had beautiful skin...and I knew there were people who could get him off if he started giving me a squeeze!

A photo of this dress was posted back in August. (White House Black Market) DH cut off my shoes - they're lizard. (You can see them in the next photo.) The little Brighton evening bag matches the red perfectly.

232323232%7Ffp%3B%3C%3A%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D35%3B33%3A3%3B%3B6335nu0mrj

This is the only red dress I own...and since it was Valentines' Day, the color was right. It isn't my usual cocktail style but it worked for this cruise...(at the top of my Want List is an LRD (Little Red Dress)) The Anne Klein heels are my most comfortable. BTW - my necklace was given to me by my dad for my 16th birthday.

232323232%7Ffp%3B87%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D35%3B33%3B8952335nu0mrj

Edited by indiana71

Soooo glad I found this forum! I have read every single page and LOVE all of the pictures and fashion and cruising tips. Although I am not new to being a crazy organized, spreadsheet packer for vacation, I haven't been on a cruise since 1998! I got so excited about the cruise, that isn't for 4more months, that I started trying dresses on this weekend! That then led me to buy this awesome red dress on White House black market on sale (plus a coupon!). i got a little carried away and bought 2 pr of shoes for me plus 2 for my daughter who is 12 from DSW......two were on sale, got triple points and used $20.00 certificates!

My parents are taking the entire family on this cruise on the Splendor 6/18. So, since I only have to pay for incidentals :), I have a feeling I will be more inclined to buy a few things that I normally wouldn't. But that's my excuse for my husband, "we're not paying for the cruise, so I figured I would buy......" Guess I will see how far I can take that!:D

Indiana, thanks for starting this fashionista forum, love love loving it! BTW, I think you look amazing in both of your dresses.

PS-I'm your PA neighbor on the other side of the state!

drlisatfm: WELCOME!! We are at 104 pages and continue to inspire and support each other:). Every day there is something interesting posted.

We're doing a Family Cruise, too; and in 4 months (just like you!)...but 16 weeks makes it sound sooner;). DH & I are like your parents - we're paying for everything, but airfare. And we are so-o-o happy to be able to take our 2 DSs, their wives and 4 grandchildren on Oasis of the Seas.

My spreadsheet hasn't gotten started yet. I did, however, make notes of the favorite outfits from the Last Cruise and plan to put them in the running.

We have a trip to Minneapolis (to visit one of those families). After that, Outfit Selection will begin in earnest:cool:. EVERY possible piece of clothing & accessory will be on display in the Cruise Room. DH (poor man!) will have to endure my clothing trials: "Which shoes do you like with this outfit?"...and his eyes will drop to my feet while he decides. "Which earrings?...." etc., etc.

I also plan to post some of the outfit photos to get opinions from CCFs (the best constructive critics!)

Today I couldn't help myself... I came down with a cold the day after returning home (thank goodness it wasn't onboard:eek:)...so to boost my spirits, a quick stop at Payless Shoes. WowwEE! Sitting at eye level was a pair of black strappy dress sandals - on sale for $14.99. For shoes that don't get heavy wear and tear, I HAD to buy them since the pair in my closet are showing some age.

But I wasn't done...the Land's End catalog arrived today, with a 30% savings and free shipping...I earmarked several pages but chose a Radish Red & White print knit wrap dress...and a black high-rise swim bottom...and a black and dark blue swim halter top. (I have 3 one-piece swimsuits and really wanted a 2-piece.)

...my cold isn't nearly as bad as it was this morning...

Edited by indiana71

Sipping Cappuccino at Starbucks is a weekly ritual. While most customers are using some sort of electronic device, I am engrossed in a hard copy of a magazine. This week it was the current issue (March 2013) of Allure . One of the interesting articles, "How to Try on Clothes". It begins, "Two things can make or break a day of shopping: the outfit you wear and the person who helps you." It goes on to say, "Wear simple clothes - a basic white or black cotton tank and pants or skirt that is easy to remove; a nude bra, preferably one that can convert to strapless, and a pair of Spanx if you're trying on dresses. Simple earrings (that won't snag clothing)."

I found this interesting: "Never shop after a giant meal. You will have a better attitude with a flat tummy."

Don't just look in the dressing-room mirror. Walk into the main part of the store to give you two perspectives.

The author suggests that shoes are very important. I guess if you are shopping for a cocktail dress, you should bring along appropriate footwear.

My best experience with all that was in Rehoboth last summer. I tried on a dress and the helpful young salesgirl brought shoes (even though they weren't my size) and jewelry to try with it. Oh yeah, she talked baseball w/ DH while waiting for me to emerge.:)

That was the White House Black Market dress I posted recently. DH bought the dress AND jewelry;).

QUESTION: Anyone else have a great Shopping for Clothes story?

drlisatfm: WELCOME!! We are at 104 pages and continue to inspire and support each other:). Every day there is something interesting posted.

We're doing a Family Cruise, too; and in 4 months (just like you!)...but 16 weeks makes it sound sooner;). DH & I are like your parents - we're paying for everything, but airfare. And we are so-o-o happy to be able to take our 2 DSs, their wives and 4 grandchildren on Oasis of the Seas.

My spreadsheet hasn't gotten started yet. I did, however, make notes of the favorite outfits from the Last Cruise and plan to put them in the running.

We have a trip to Minneapolis (to visit one of those families). After that, Outfit Selection will begin in earnest:cool:. EVERY possible piece of clothing & accessory will be on display in the Cruise Room. DH (poor man!) will have to endure my clothing trials: "Which shoes do you like with this outfit?"...and his eyes will drop to my feet while he decides. "Which earrings?...." etc., etc.

I also plan to post some of the outfit photos to get opinions from CCFs (the best constructive critics!)

Today I couldn't help myself... I came down with a cold the day after returning home (thank goodness it wasn't onboard:eek:)...so to boost my spirits, a quick stop at Payless Shoes. WowwEE! Sitting at eye level was a pair of black strappy dress sandals - on sale for $14.99. For shoes that don't get heavy wear and tear, I HAD to buy them since the pair in my closet are showing some age.

But I wasn't done...the Land's End catalog arrived today, with a 30% savings and free shipping...I earmarked several pages but chose a Radish Red & White print knit wrap dress...and a black high-rise swim bottom...and a black and dark blue swim halter top. (I have 3 one-piece swimsuits and really wanted a 2-piece.)

...my cold isn't nearly as bad as it was this morning...

Hey Indiana,

I was thinking of all the CCFs yesterday when I was at Sears and got to try on some of the items I had dog-eared in the new catalogue. Most didn't work well for me but thought I'd share some thoughts.

The orange/white print knit wrap top dress was cute on me but I didn't like the A-line line of the skirt. I have a similar dress from Kohls and it drapes better. The Lands End dress just seemed to go out to far in an A and wasn't the most flattering for me. Also, I thought it ran a bit large so size down. I also pulled the orange/pink/white dress with the gathered waist but didn't like that the material was so thin.

I did try a couple of swimsuits on and really liked the newer one with the tie that wraps around your waist. Solid color teal was very pretty and I may order it (and some others) to try. I know the black and blue one you are talking about and I think that's very pretty.

Sipping Cappuccino at Starbucks is a weekly ritual. While most customers are using some sort of electronic device, I am engrossed in a hard copy of a magazine. This week it was the current issue (March 2013) of Allure . One of the interesting articles, "How to Try on Clothes". It begins, "Two things can make or break a day of shopping: the outfit you wear and the person who helps you." It goes on to say, "Wear simple clothes - a basic white or black cotton tank and pants or skirt that is easy to remove; a nude bra, preferably one that can convert to strapless, and a pair of Spanx if you're trying on dresses. Simple earrings (that won't snag clothing)."

I found this interesting: "Never shop after a giant meal. You will have a better attitude with a flat tummy."

Don't just look in the dressing-room mirror. Walk into the main part of the store to give you two perspectives.

The author suggests that shoes are very important. I guess if you are shopping for a cocktail dress, you should bring along appropriate footwear.

My best experience with all that was in Rehoboth last summer. I tried on a dress and the helpful young salesgirl brought shoes (even though they weren't my size) and jewelry to try with it. Oh yeah, she talked baseball w/ DH while waiting for me to emerge.:)

That was the White House Black Market dress I posted recently. DH bought the dress AND jewelry;).

QUESTION: Anyone else have a great Shopping for Clothes story?

When my hair was longer I would bring a clip or two with me, so I could put my hair, up to see how a dress/formal wear would look with an up do.

Hope your cold goes away real fast. Feel better.

When my DH and I were renewing our vows a few years ago I had found a dress that I just loved.

We went to the bridal shp and i found the dress and tried it on, meanwhile while I was getting into the dress DH was looking around the store and found another dress.

When i came out of the dressing room he looked at the dress I had on and said "I don't think that will work with the ship." I was absolutely heartbroken. :(

He then handed the sales lady the dress he picked out and asked me to put it on so I did.

It was absolutely beautiful and I fell in love with it!!

When i came out the look on his face said it all! He even had tears in his eyes.

He looked at me and said please take this one. So I did.

We found out later that they had it in my size and that that one was on sale 1/2 off. So with the sale price and the coupon I had at the time I got the most gorgeous dress for $225.00!!

Gotta love saavy shopping husbands.:D

These are pictures of my dress at the Vow renewal.

Gerry

us3.jpg.3414f00f904ee4382c65186fbaa01978.jpg

vr1.jpg.db0d96b146aef8f86b53250b6061e3af.jpg

Edited by TNGALOHA

lovestx: It sounds like the Land's End you mentioned is the one I ordered - keeping fingers crossed that it will be a keeper!

The orange & white dress was on my Maybe list, but dresses with a gathered waist don't usually work on me. Glad I didn't order it after reading that the fabric was thin...

TNGALOHA: WOW! Great romantic story, beautiful dress! Thanks for sharing the photos:).

The photo below shows what was under my winter jacket on SailAway Day. Purple Talbot cords, cranberry long sleeve knit top and a Liz Claiborne crochet pullover. And the requisite beads for meeting other posters.

This outfit proves that even though it's winter, we can still dress cheerfully:cool:. Having a beverage to sip is nice too...

232323232%7Ffp%3B64%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D35%3B33%3A3%3B%3A2335nu0mrj

...But when you're heading south, warm weather gives an opportunity to wear the fun clothes:cool: The Capris are long-time residents of the Cruise Closet (from Goodwill), sandals are my favorite brand - Naot. Pullover is Ann Taylor. Handbag, Anne Klein. The watch is from WalMart - $5.00! (I bought several colors and they keep time just like more costly watches.) Other jewelry is all costume. I loved putting this outfit together - matching the yellow and pink in the Capris with a top and pullover; and then adding accessories. We CCFs have so much fun long before The Cruise begins!

232323232%7Ffp%3B%3A5%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D35%3B33%3B8346335nu0mrj

Edited by indiana71