Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

I have a garment bag out and ready - don't know if it will be needed.

All my items fit in one suitcase, so DH's is all his.

I like putting sport coats and his Docker pants in a garment bag...but if there's room in a suitcase, that's where they will go.

I will carry a Bagalini tote bag to hold paperwork, camera and some misc. items.

It's so nice to have luggage taken in the parking lot. We see folks in Windjammer having lunch and pulling suitcases - don't get why they want to be burdened with them...

YES! He brought me a delicious Margarita:):cool:! Yum!!

I have a garment bag out and ready - don't know if it will be needed.

All my items fit in one suitcase, so DH's is all his.

I like putting sport coats and his Docker pants in a garment bag...but if there's room in a suitcase, that's where they will go.

I will carry a Bagalini tote bag to hold paperwork, camera and some misc. items.

It's so nice to have luggage taken in the parking lot. We see folks in Windjammer having lunch and pulling suitcases - don't get why they want to be burdened with them...

YES! He brought me a delicious Margarita:):cool:! Yum!!

I check my bags but do take on a rolling carry on with my meds, camera, eyeglasses, paperwork, book, shampoos, phone and anything that will break or is a liquid. Most times when we get on board the ship our cabin is ready. This up coming cruise we have friends who are doing a B2B on the same ship. They start their cruise a week before our and then we join then. So, if by any chance we get on before our cabin is ready I will drop our bag off in his cabin.

But like you, I have seen people carrying many bags/suitcases around at the buffet.

geocruiser: Thanks for the link to Packing Cubes. It was very helpful! So-o-o many CCFs use them!!

With my packing method, hardly anything gets more than one fold. Skirts and pants are packed on hangers so they come out of the suitcase and go directly to the closet. Tops aren't folded at all.

Wrinkles have never been an issue...

So, the cubes are obviously the perfect choice for many, but not for me.

I didn't expect to get EVERYTHING packed yesterday...but 96% of my list is in the suitcase!

I don't have anything yellow this time :confused: - since the Anthem cruise is in January, yellow will definitely be a color choice (especially since I bought a handmade yellow purse!)

Lots of colors are what I like, and this time only 1 pair of white dress pants will be worn twice.

Here's a list of what's in my suitcase:

Shoes - 9 pair

Capris - 5

Shorts - 3

Pants - 4

Skirts - 2

Dresses - 3

Tops - 15

Swimsuit - only 1 this time w/ a coverup & Flip Flops

DH put some things in the Cruise Room...

Indiana71 - What type of hangers do you use? I have packed tops on the flocked Space Maker hangers. Do you use the hangers with clips for your skirts and pants? I'm really curious as our first Panama/Caribbean cruise will be in April. I'd like to get all of my "cruise clothes" into the big suitcase and use the rolling carry-on and tote for Machu Picchu. This will be our second cruise (first being to Alaska) so I have Much to learn!

Did my prepack yesterday (weight limits). I came in at 40 lbs & have everything on my lists. Ok, what did I forget? I'm never under 47. Cubes for lingerie & bathing suits/coverup) & workout gear, cube for electronic widgets, cube for hotel precruise. Shoes 4 pr) tucked neatly around, dop kit at wheels of case. All other clothes on hangars with dry cleaning bags (one fold). Now I remember! I bought a new suitcase, it's what's lighter!!!

Did my prepack yesterday (weight limits). I came in at 40 lbs & have everything on my lists. Ok, what did I forget? I'm never under 47. Cubes for lingerie & bathing suits/coverup) & workout gear, cube for electronic widgets, cube for hotel precruise. Shoes 4 pr) tucked neatly around, dop kit at wheels of case. All other clothes on hangars with dry cleaning bags (one fold). Now I remember! I bought a new suitcase, it's what's lighter!!!

Happy to hear that you are packed and under weight. Warm weather cruising I tend to pack more because the clothing weighs less. What are the main colors of clothing that you pack. I can never seem to stay wit one or two colors. I bring white, blues, turquois, yellow, green, purple, black and more.

Black skort, black capris, black silk slacks (evening) ill send them for dry cleaning midway thru), white slacks, white capris, khaki capris. Multicolored tops (2 tanks, 6 wicking tops, 2 1/4 zip shirts in case it's chilly); sparkly tops (6), white tuxedo shirt, sharkbite tops (2). I like bright almost fluorescent colors (DH can find me), turquoise, pink, cactus green, cobalt blue. I try to limit bottom color & go wild with tops

It's been an interesting few days. I'm not packed. And have just had to be ok with it. Leaving Friday. Looking forward to a better tomorrow.

You may recall I had severe pain with infection while in Florida. My neighbor the dentist made me come in this am. Yep, cyst on nerve nearest sinus cavity. Script given as a precaution. Root canal sch for Dec 3. Already on meds for severe UTI discovered yesterday. My immune system is low. Think alcohol will kill anymore infections that try to knock me down? Cruise on Breeze Sat. 8 day southern. Nails and toes later today, hair was yesterday. Sleeping more this am. This cruise is planned to be a much less active that last month. I see some sun worship in my future. Sweat out toxins.

Thanks ladies for your support during my illness's while I travel. 8 day cruise, 9 days in Naples with daughters and grandson, 11 days in Disney with 3 of our daughters, spouses, two grandchildren.

I could easily forget to take care of self, drink water, etc. Coming home to host thanksgiving I do with great joy. Only real big family gathering we still have. And I'll have about 6 hours on Wed to prepare. Love it. Keep me in your good thoughts and prayers. I'll try to keep you up dated.

Now I'm so glad I took pictures of clothes to pack. Will make t tomorrow easier. Bon voyage

Hangers: I use metal skirt hangers. The hook folds back over the skirt/Capris and the clips stay flat on the garment. I won't be at the Big House until next week...will take a photo to show.

sunnydaygirl: Oh my! You are going through alot of unwanted pre-cruise stuff:eek:! Hope all will be good once you are onboard. Sunshine and foofoo drinks should help!

Sunnydaygirl. Hope you're better. Ck the antibiotics to make sure you can go in the sun with them (some you can't). Enjoy your cruise

I second all of this including checking your medications and the sun. Hope you are able to rest and enjoy your family before the Disney portion of the trip!

Sunnydaygirl - wishing you a speedy recovery and safe travels - hope you find time to relax!

I am in 'final prep' mode for my upcoming cruise - now that I have finally purchase a new piece of luggage (yes this took months of research LOL).

Here is my list (3 days precruise in San Juan - 10 day cruise = 2 weeks)

2 pairs white capris

1 pair black pants long/1 ankle/1 capris

11 tops

2 'waterfall cardigans': white/black

4 dresses

sequin tank/sequin jacket/sparkly top

3 tankini tops/2 bottoms/ 2 rashguards/beach pants

2 sunhats/snorkel mask/ beach bag/water shoes

6 pairs shoes/flip flops

bras/undies/socks/jammies

purses/jewellery/toiletries/meds

hair stuff/brushes/makeup

Travel: black yoga pants, black white striped t shirt, velour hoodie, runners

I think this might be too much? (Yes I have a spreadsheet with all clothes listed by activity/port/date). Also this will be my FIRST time using packing cubes - so that in itself is a challenge as I try to figure out what goes into each cube as well as planning clothing/etc for 3 days pre-cruise!

I also get free laundry onboard but again would only be sending out certain 'non-important' things and nothing nice/fancy!

Wish me luck as I try (once again) to keep it under 50 lbs! :)

Edited by Froufie

Froufie, I put lingerie & beachwear in cubes. Also put complete outfits (except shoes) for hotel in a cube. That is on top of everything else & is only thing (beside my dop kit)that comes out of suitcase at hotel. I'd actually add a pair of khaki capris (in case you don't have laundry & white gets so dirty so quickly

Froufie, I put lingerie & beachwear in cubes. Also put complete outfits (except shoes) for hotel in a cube. That is on top of everything else & is only thing (beside my dop kit)that comes out of suitcase at hotel. I'd actually add a pair of khaki capris (in case you don't have laundry & white gets so dirty so quickly

Thanks for the suggestions - I do plan to put toiletries/makeup/hair stuff/brushes on top so I don't have to dig thru suitcase.

Problem is I am not sure what I want to wear in San Juan? LOL. and I will need at least one bathing suit for the pool. So will add that with the SJ hotel clothes?

Maybe precruise cube can hold 3 pairs undies/socks/1 nightie/1 tankini/1 pair white capris/1 pair black/ and 3-4 tops? (is that even possible?) That should cover 'everything?....And I guess if I need anything else it hopefully won't be buried somewhere? :eek::rolleyes:;)

My hotel cube has 1 bathing suit, coverup & hat. Undies (3 days) & sleepshirt. White & black capris, 3-4 tops to go with each (1 top good for a decent restaurant). Flyaway sweater. I still have plenty of room in the cube, so might switch to a smaller cube. San Juan is quite warm anytime of the year, I always put a sweater in cause I get cold in ac. FYI, I only roll undies, everything else has one fold. I do wear a lot of dry release tops & capris (they hardly ever wrinkle). I buy my sunscreen at the port

Seems like WEEKS since I was here last:confused:!

DH & I spent a few days visiting DS & family in Minneapolis.

Flights were smooth - thank goodness! We ate in spectacular restaurants and spent time sitting around and loving every minute. Delightful!

And now we are back and catching up with mail, email and home chores...and oh yeah - getting more excited that the Countdown Clock is going lower:cool::)!

Keep up the posts - I'm getting back to a Cruising Frame of Mind!!

I'm completely packed. My boarding outfit is in a cube. Reading your posts I realize I forgot to put a hotel swimsuit in there too! Feeling much better, energy needs to be a little higher. Thanks again for all your well wishes.

Hope you are doing better now - I just came down with a very bad cold - getting worse - so off to the dr today and now on a 5 day round of antibiotics - as I fly out on Sunday and nothing worst that flying sick!!!! (had an ear infection once while flying - it was HORRID!).

My bedroom looks like a hurricane hit as I begin the packing process... flip flops everywhere LOL.... But I packed a CUBE - yes I did it - the pre cruise/san juan cube is done - it is a big pink one/rectangular and has double compartment/zippers - one on each side!

So one side has 1 white capri with 3 t shirts - one black capri with 2 tops (more for evening wear....) and one casual dress. The other side has 4 pairs undies, 3 pairs socks, 1 bra and my jammies! It is all zipped up and waiting to go on the top when I am done packing (so tell me will it actually fit? ha ha ha).

No room for bathing suit so shall have to figure that out? (I am thinking another cube with suit/rash guard, sun hat and sunscreens?)

My formal wear is on the bottom of the suitcase already (with the plastic bags) and just have to put a few more tops in and pants and 2 cardigans...the all the OTHER STUFF!

Trying to put some of the 'heavier' things in my carryon (e.g. snorke/mask/ water shoes) so I don't go over the 50 lbs....leaving at the crack of dawn sunday morning so all has to be zipped up and by the door saturday night/hallowee'en (thankfully because of clocks I will get an extra hour of sleep - or probably an extra hour of staying awake in anticipation?) :D:D

Edited by Froufie

Froufie I always put my formal wear at the very top of the suitcase to keep wrinkles at bay. They will wrinkle if they're packed down. I also line my suitcase with giant trash bags (never can tell if it's going to rain). Put your swimwear in with the snorkel gear

Froufie I always put my formal wear at the very top of the suitcase to keep wrinkles at bay. They will wrinkle if they're packed down. I also line my suitcase with giant trash bags (never can tell if it's going to rain). Put your swimwear in with the snorkel gear

I love the trash bag idea. Never would have thought of it, but makes perfect sense!

I guess it depends how you 'lay' your suitcase down as to whether the formal wear is on top or bottom? LOL.

I guess putting it on top means having to hang it up when I am in san juan? then putting it back in after? (3 days precruise) - was hoping not to have to do that but I do understand the concept...

Was hoping to put all my necessities on top: e.g. pre cruise cube, toiletries, makeup, hair products, brushes, hair dryer.

Snorkel/mask right now in carryon to avoid extra luggage weight - and while I need a bathing suit for SJ hotel won't need snorkel gear there - of course when I repack to board ship I can definitely put snorkel stuff in suitcase with bathing suits - assuming there is space? :)

I guess putting it on top means having to hang it up when I am in san juan? then putting it back in after? (3 days precruise) - was hoping not to have to do that but I do understand the concept.

That is what we do if we stay somewhere before the cruise to help prevent wrinkles.

Hope you are doing better now - I just came down with a very bad cold - getting worse - so off to the dr today and now on a 5 day round of antibiotics - as I fly out on Sunday and nothing worst that flying sick!!!! (had an ear infection once while flying - it was HORRID!).

My bedroom looks like a hurricane hit as I begin the packing process... flip flops everywhere LOL.... But I packed a CUBE - yes I did it - the pre cruise/san juan cube is done - it is a big pink one/rectangular and has double compartment/zippers - one on each side!

So one side has 1 white capri with 3 t shirts - one black capri with 2 tops (more for evening wear....) and one casual dress. The other side has 4 pairs undies, 3 pairs socks, 1 bra and my jammies! It is all zipped up and waiting to go on the top when I am done packing (so tell me will it actually fit? ha ha ha).

No room for bathing suit so shall have to figure that out? (I am thinking another cube with suit/rash guard, sun hat and sunscreens?)

My formal wear is on the bottom of the suitcase already (with the plastic bags) and just have to put a few more tops in and pants and 2 cardigans...the all the OTHER STUFF!

Trying to put some of the 'heavier' things in my carryon (e.g. snorke/mask/ water shoes) so I don't go over the 50 lbs....leaving at the crack of dawn sunday morning so all has to be zipped up and by the door saturday night/hallowee'en (thankfully because of clocks I will get an extra hour of sleep - or probably an extra hour of staying awake in anticipation?) :D:D

Have you tried Earplanes? They help with the change of pressure when flying. They work for me. You can buy them in Walmart & CVS pharmacy dept.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Earplanes-For-Air-Pressure-Discomfort-Ear-Plugs-1-pair/10533162

Edited by geocruiser