Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

Looks perfectly organized! I'm only to the stage where I get it in by color!

I organize my closet by color and type of clothing. Pants, then by color of pants. Tops, then by color, etc. The first time I starting organizing by color I realized how much of the same color items I have. If an item (lets say a top) is a print and the main color is yellow, then goes with the yellow tops

First - I'm ecstatic that my iphone post & photo workedicon14.gif!

pcur - love the idea of posting Closet Photos. Many CCFs have a good relationship with organizing clothes and it would be fun (and helpful!) to see.

...My blouses and bottoms are organized by color, the dresses were hung up at random (I was just happy to get clothes unpacked:rolleyes:).

All knit tops are in cabinets and by sleeve length and color...and this is where I realize how MANY I have. Like geocruiser, there are several colors that include more than 2 or 3 of each...and some are very similar.

And would you believe????...when organizing the shoes, I discovered 2 pairs of identical black strappy high heels. YIKES!! How did that happen???!!!

And Full Disclosure: I took a pair of worn once sandals to the consignment shop...with every intention of leaving them, turning around and walking out...but there was a nice raspberry & black dress (suitable for many occasions)...a fun-colored skirt...and a top in a color that I REALLY like...all Talbots. What's a CCF to do:confused:. Yes, I bought them all - for $20!

Hope I can do the iphone post/photo thing again as outfits come together.

When my husband and I bought our house, it was a new build. So, I looked at the floorplan, and pointed out some changes we could make and end up with what I affectionately call "the monster". It's our closet, and it's behind and runs across the entire width of our master bathroom + potty room. 25 feet long: right side is DH's; left side is mine.

My side has upper and lower rods, because the ceiling is 14 feet high. So, basically have about 26 linear feet of closet space. DH made one of those hooks they use in clothing stores to get clothes down from higher racks.

The old expression about "work expands to fill the time allowed" explains my clothes. :D I always bought on sale, but good stuff (mostly). Now that I'm retired, I buy all my clothes on ebay. I have favorite manufacturers, and can find what I like. I also like to alter clothes for a better fit (narrow shoulders/long waist/big hips).

Off-season clothes go on one upper rod, jackets (I LOVE jackets) on the other. Lower racks are tops one side/pants the other side. Everything is hung by color.

I recently added jammies and nighties to one end of a lower rack. This is after I moved all my cruise formal outfits to half the guest bedroom closet. Our builder even put double wide closets in the other bedrooms, so there's still a whole regular sized closet for guests.

Now that I'm losing weight (slowly), I am altering all my clothes, and weeding out ones I can't alter to fit or just don't like anymore. I told my husband that altering my clothes is like painting the Golden Gate Bridge (No CA humor: once they finish painting it, they start all over again because it takes so long to paint). I finish altering over a few months, and then the clothes are too loose again, so I alter/weed all over again. It's become a part-time hobby.

By color? hmmm - need to ponder on that!!!

About a year ago I had a 'closet disaster' - we have a large walk in closet - about 8 feet long? with just a top shelf then a very long rod - well suffice it to say that perhaps I 'overloaded' my side - came home one day thinking there must have been an earthquake as I opened the closet to see that the ROD HAD COME OFF THE WALL - due to weight of the clothing and what a mess that was! (and a wakeup call to perhaps clean things up? LOL).

so had to get some of those 'temporary' racks and used the den to hang clothing and started weeding thru all the clothing and other junk that accumulated in their for over 15 years.....

then the 'rebuilding' began - I did look at some of those 'prefab' closet systems - but none seemed to work given the dimensions of the closet so hubby said he would do it...yes it took FOREVER - and many trips to Ikea and other places but I have the STURDIEST and best closet in the world now.

with 2 'towers' (light wood) about 3-6 shelves each - adjustable - between them on one side are 2 rods (upper/lower) and the other side is just one (for dresses/longer stuff) - then I was off to Target for clear bins and organized all my travel bags/cosmetic bags, sun hats, etc. and either on the top shelf - or shelves I closet or underneath.....

Very happy with it now but still have to keep 'circulating' stuff - e.g. if you buy something new you might have to discard something? Getting a bit hard to pull things in and out :)

Now the color idea seems to be a good one as I am getting a bit messy in there (altho I seem to have my blacks/darks/work clothes on top and now the whites/pinks/summer stuff on the bottom? I am also thinking to use different colored hangers as well (love those velvety ones so things don't slip off).

Like I need another project.....LOLOL.

Edited by Froufie

By color? hmmm - need to ponder on that!!!

About a year ago I had a 'closet disaster' - we have a large walk in closet - about 8 feet long? with just a top shelf then a very long rod - well suffice it to say that perhaps I 'overloaded' my side - came home one day thinking there must have been an earthquake as I opened the closet to see that the ROD HAD COME OFF THE WALL - due to weight of the clothing and what a mess that was! (and a wakeup call to perhaps clean things up? LOL).

so had to get some of those 'temporary' racks and used the den to hang clothing and started weeding thru all the clothing and other junk that accumulated in their for over 15 years.....

then the 'rebuilding' began - I did look at some of those 'prefab' closet systems - but none seemed to work given the dimensions of the closet so hubby said he would do it...yes it took FOREVER - and many trips to Ikea and other places but I have the STURDIEST and best closet in the world now.

with 2 'towers' (light wood) about 3-6 shelves each - adjustable - between them on one side are 2 rods (upper/lower) and the other side is just one (for dresses/longer stuff) - then I was off to Target for clear bins and organized all my travel bags/cosmetic bags, sun hats, etc. and either on the top shelf - or shelves I closet or underneath.....

Very happy with it now but still have to keep 'circulating' stuff - e.g. if you buy something new you might have to discard something? Getting a bit hard to pull things in and out :)

Now the color idea seems to be a good one as I am getting a bit messy in there (altho I seem to have my blacks/darks/work clothes on top and now the whites/pinks/summer stuff on the bottom? I am also thinking to use different colored hangers as well (love those velvety ones so things don't slip off).

Like I need another project.....LOLOL.

Once I organized by color, I found that I actually wanted to do this, because it made choosing an outfit for the day so much easier. It was kind of self-propelling, so to speak.

Once I organized by color, I found that I actually wanted to do this, because it made choosing an outfit for the day so much easier. It was kind of self-propelling, so to speak.

Absolutely agree and will have to try this out - as I noted the other day when I was choosing a 'white bottom' I had about 2 pairs of long white pants and about 4 pairs of white capris - really? how did that happen? (okay they are a bit different styles/materials but still don't need that many -and I am scared to see how many pairs of black pants/capris I actually own! LOLOLOL:eek::p)

Absolutely agree and will have to try this out - as I noted the other day when I was choosing a 'white bottom' I had about 2 pairs of long white pants and about 4 pairs of white capris - really? how did that happen? (okay they are a bit different styles/materials but still don't need that many -and I am scared to see how many pairs of black pants/capris I actually own! LOLOLOL:eek::p)

I like having multiples in one color for capris and pants. I find that they last longer that way, because I'm not wearing the same pair all the time. This is for white or black; I have 3 - 4 pairs of capris in each color. Other colors will be one pair, like navy, brown, etc. Long pants, too, but since I wear capris 9 months of the year, I find the same pattern evolving, but maybe 2 pairs each color, white and black, etc.

Edited by pcur

I like having multiples in one color for capris and pants. I find that they last longer that way, because I'm not wearing the same pair all the time. This is for white or black; I have 3 - 4 pairs of capris in each color. Other colors will be one pair, like navy, brown, etc. Long pants, too, but since I wear capris 9 months of the year, I find the same pattern evolving, but maybe 2 pairs each color, white and black, etc.

I know what you are saying. I do that with shoes. Same style but multiple pairs.

Above is a photo of me makeshift Cruise Room...not much to look at for now, but at least clothes are accessible[emoji155]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, at least you can SEE them! That's the trick to closets, IMO: you have to SEE the garment to WEAR the garment. That's why my off-season clothes go up on top: I don't want to see them, and I know what I am looking at I can wear now.

I am not a fan of those pants hangers that let you "stack" your pants vertically. You end up not seeing what you want, and think you have to buy a pair of xxxx colored pants. I think those pesky hangers were invented by the clothing industry! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with you, pcur, those hangers that stack pants are not in my closet. Seeing each item and grouping by color is (for me) the easiest way to choose what to wear.

(

My suitcase is packed for Next Cruise (next week!). It isn't as full as other times. I donated/consigned some of my evening handbags, so this time there's only one (Yikes!) for the 2 formal nights. The other nights I will probably go without that particular accessory. DH can tote my SeaPass and lipstick if I don't have a place to put them.

And 8 pairs of shoes (as compared to upwards of 10). I have no intention of getting to the point of taking only a couple outfits in a carry-on...but just a little less packing means UNpacking will go faster = more time to enjoy The Cruise:cool::)!

I agree with you, pcur, those hangers that stack pants are not in my closet. Seeing each item and grouping by color is (for me) the easiest way to choose what to wear.

(

My suitcase is packed for Next Cruise (next week!). It isn't as full as other times. I donated/consigned some of my evening handbags, so this time there's only one (Yikes!) for the 2 formal nights. The other nights I will probably go without that particular accessory. DH can tote my SeaPass and lipstick if I don't have a place to put them.

And 8 pairs of shoes (as compared to upwards of 10). I have no intention of getting to the point of taking only a couple outfits in a carry-on...but just a little less packing means UNpacking will go faster = more time to enjoy The Cruise:cool::)!

I have been looking at those nice evening bags I have in my closet, thinking I should donate them. However, I just love them, and I have one potential family wedding (I hope) in the future, so I hang on to them. When we drive and sail out of San Pedro I take two with me on cruises.

I'm giving up my bedroom too my daughter's family for a few months during construction. Starting last fall, I thought it could be anytime. Well, now I have clothes in three different closets and I don't really know where anything is. And they still haven't moved. But this fall is target date. I'm choosing my bedroom, depending on the weather, cold or hot.

When it's time to start packing,i hope I look everywhere for clothes.

I have been looking at those nice evening bags I have in my closet, thinking I should donate them. However, I just love them, and I have one potential family wedding (I hope) in the future, so I hang on to them. When we drive and sail out of San Pedro I take two with me on cruises.

I love bags and especially the evening ones. I usually have 3 or 4 bags on cruise. On a cruise a few years ago someone commented on how many bags I have. I had never thought about taking so many bags. A string bag/backpack, a cross body, a sequin evening bag and my id security neck bag.

I put my make up in my evening bag, takes up less space that way.

Edited by tbbtravels

I kept a couple evening bags - one is pink calfskin that I took on my honeymoon (50 years ago!:eek:), another is a straw one that DH's aunt gave me from her South Pacific trip, and a black beaded one that gets the most use. Oh, and I have a silver-colored leather one that I bought 40 years ago...the price looked like $12.00...but it was really $120.00:rolleyes:...so I keep that one.

sunnydaygirl: You are very generous to take in your daughter's family and give up a bedroom. Just think how much fun it will be to get all the closets organized when they move!

QUESTION: Do any of you wear white shoes? I have white sorta high wedges (Clark's with a cute little bow), that I wear to dinner. No idea where they are...packed them with some other incidental Cruise Items many months before moving. All boxes are unpacked...a slim chance that the Cruise Incidental box is still at the Big House...

After looking at fashion magazines, etc., it doesn't look like white is "in" right now. I opted for neutral tan instead...but wondering if the white ones are outdated.

I still wear white flat sandals (my favorite Naot) and don't care if they are in style or not - they're the best for walking.

Edited by indiana71

My favorite shoes for warm weather cruises are a pair of soft kid white leather loafers. After we returned from Australia this year I noticed a bit of flaking starting on the inside and realized I bought those when my in-laws lived in Florida so they are about 12 years old. I am keeping my eyes peeled for replacements but hopefully these will last through our next Panama Canal cruise.

I no longer have white shoes. I've gone to a pewter color. They go with so much. I don't really wear gold, so that's not an issue. Although, because they're not silver, it'd be okay.

Bought a couple of tank tunic tops while shopping. I didn't bother too try them on. Should have, arm holes too big. So I trotted out to Label $hopper and found matching tanks to go under for$3.99. Perfect matches!