Does anyone still send postcards?

Ms belp

I checked out the CC poll today and was disturbed to see that most respondents had checked "What are postcards?" I have collected them since I was a girl and my father sent them to me from every trip. My friends and co-workers still send them to me to add to my collection. Is it true? Doesn't anyone go to the reception desk and the gift shop to gather up the best to send to friends and to add to their collection?:confused::(

I always send postcards when I travel. I prepare a list of the addresses and print them out in advance on adhesive-backed sheets. Just peel off an address, slap it on the card. My friends and relatives always expect at least a couple of cards when I'm traveling.

Yes! I still send postcards. And isn't it nice to find something other than bills and junk mail in your mailbox?

It used to be common that me and my "correspondents" would try to send the tackiest one we could find -- and I still do that on occasion -- but now tend to go with nice scenery ones for my mother and other folks, or "educational" ones for my sister.

She is a teacher and apparently her students get quite a kick out of having a postcard from an actual place rather than just reading about it in a textbook.

Yes, postage can be a challenge but even sending them after I am home is still fun and seems to be appreciated by the recipients.

I definitely still send post cards. It may take a little planning ahead on a cruise just so you know where to get a stamp and all of that but my family appreciates the thought. Plus it's always a good way to make people a little jealous. ;)

Stamps - unless things have changed for the worse recently, most of the time you can get local stamps from the main reception desk in the atrium. You can even drop off your postcards there if you want. As long as you drop them off before a certain time (usually at least an hour before departing the port), they will be dropped off at a local post office for you.

I definitely still send post cards. It may take a little planning ahead on a cruise just so you know where to get a stamp and all of that but my family appreciates the thought. Plus it's always a good way to make people a little jealous. ;)

I can always get stamps at the reception desk and mail the postcards there as well. If a post office is close we can go there.

I have a cartoon from the paper taped to my office window. Rose is a Rose, I believe. It shows her stomping on "something". Her husband asks what she is doing? It's a postcard from some friends. Husband says isn't that nice they'd share their experience? Rose says something to the effect of "maybe I'll send them a postcard from our laundry room". Thanks for the smile!

I always send postcards. Last trip, though, I beat them home (and we had another week after our cruise!!). The kids thought we'd forgotten them, I guess it takes a long time to get from Nassau to Auckland, maybe they're a bit like Fiji and have "island time". Still fun to find them in the letterbox.

My daughter's friend went on a European holiday a year or so ago and her mother made her send three postcards in each place. The kids at home had a blast reading them and comparing notes, so much more personal than email or Skype or Facebook IMHO

I usually send them and also do the pre-addressed labels. I also buy a few to have in case something happens to my camera.

Yes, crew mom! We have almost one entire trip that is full of postcard memories because our camera had a glitch. I had forgotten that.

We have also started mailing postcards home to ourselves. What a wonderful gift to find them when you arrive home or are facing post cruising blues a week later.

Since the emailing stage entered into my life, I find that my hand writing has gone from good to bad. I have trouble even reading my own handwriting. What I like to do now, is take a whole bunch of pics, and then send it via email when I get back home. I've also done it via PICASO, when I saw a Cruise Review on here.

But like some of you, I still have postcards dated back to 1984. I've kept those ones for sentimental reasons.

I always send postcards when I travel. I prepare a list of the addresses and print them out in advance on adhesive-backed sheets. Just peel off an address, slap it on the card. My friends and relatives always expect at least a couple of cards when I'm traveling.

I love this idea! We send postcards too and I just hate wasting too much time writing out the addresses ...

I also love to buy postcards just to keep as they are usually just awesome pictures compared to what I can take with my point and shoot.

OT but to go along with someone not know what a postcard is... our 8 & 9 year old great niece and great nephew didn't know what a board game was when I brought one out when they came to visit... I was floored. Of course they wanted to play on my computer.

I love this idea! We send postcards too and I just hate wasting too much time writing out the addresses ...

I also love to buy postcards just to keep as they are usually just awesome pictures compared to what I can take with my point and shoot.

OT but to go along with someone not know what a postcard is... our 8 & 9 year old great niece and great nephew didn't know what a board game was when I brought one out when they came to visit... I was floored. Of course they wanted to play on my computer.

Wow. That's pretty unusual. Every young child in my family owns and enjoys board games.

Of course, if the parents use the computer and TV as baby-sitters I suppose postcards and board games are unnecessary :p Not saying your family does this, of course, but too many do.

I buy lots of postcards. A few get mailed to friends and family during the trip but most come home with me for the scrapbook. I love buying postage stamps from the places visited, they make it into the scrapbook too.

I've sent a few postcards to myself but they never seem to show up :(. Thankfully the ones sent to other people make it to them, but sometimes long after we're home.

Wow. That's pretty unusual. Every young child in my family owns and enjoys board games.

Of course, if the parents use the computer and TV as baby-sitters I suppose postcards and board games are unnecessary :p Not saying your family does this, of course, but too many do.

Unfortunately you hit the nail on the head. Their mother does use electronics as babysitters. Very sad. :mad:

Post cards? Oh yes, I remember them. Very quaint.

We do not write or send any. However, I write daily email reports when we cruise and send them to our family and a couple of close friends, with a copy to myself. Everybody is happy and well informed, and I have a record of our cruise.

What would I do with a post card if somebody would send us one? I would have to scan it, throw it out, and and store the scanned image on my computer.

Without a postcard how would my young niece and nephew know what Swiss people use to 'talk across the valley' an Alphorn and when I wrote I heard one being played it brings it a bit closer.

When in Samoa, a postcard with a man weaving a mat gave them an idea of some native crafts.

Without postcards there are no little feet running to see if the Letter Carrier has brought anything fun from abroad.

I always send them, no matter where I go, even if I can't find something that might intrest young minds, it gives them a sense of the greater world and might just wake up some intrest in travelling and seeing some of things I have seen in the world.

I don't travel with a computer, fancy cell phone and other gadgets. Nothing, in my opinion can replace that surprise, joy, and pleasure that one gets when you get beautiful pictures with a short message on the back from friends and family. I will continue to do so. :D

Still love to send and recieve postcards. I have collected them since I was a teen and traveled in the summers with a drum corps. Used to send them to myself to remind me of the cool places I had been. On our last cruise we had a postcard exchange during our meet and greet. Lots of fun and I have a lot of great cards and memories of fellow CC'ers.

Joyce

Doesn't anyone go to the reception desk and the gift shop to gather up the best to send to friends and to add to their collection?:confused::(

I cannot recall the last time I mailed a postcard. Your post brought back some wonderful memories for me.

Thanks. :cool:

I try to send postcards to my nephew from each city that I visit. At the very least, I buy the postcard for him from each location. I decided that getting him shirts from each location was going to take up too much room. (I know from experience.) Postcards are small, easy to get, and personal keepsakes for him.

Archived