Croatian Shore Excursion Help Needed

We are booked on a Seabourn Spirit Croatian cruise next October and are beginning to plan our shore excursions. Any feedback on what we have planned or great recommendations of other places to see/things to do would be greatly appreciated. We would like to visit Plitvice National Park and are not sure which port of call would be best to do this from? My first inclination was Zadar, however, we are in port for many more hours in Rovinj. Please help!!! :)

Sat, Koper 8-5 Lake Bled

Sun, Zadar 9-5 Sea Organ & ???

Mon, Dubrovnik 8-6 Walk the walls & cable car

Tues, Split 8-11pm Palace & Trogir

Wed, Hvar 8-5 Blue Caves????

Thurs, Rovinj 9-11pm ????

THANKS EVERYONE

Rovinj is a great town to explore. I don't know if you'd want to miss much of it. It is also an artists colony (which is how I'd describe it) there are so many narrow steep streets to wander and look at the local arts & crafts.

I can't answer your question as we did Croatia as a land vacation and drove ourselves. I hope you have a wonderful time, I loved the country and would go back again in a heartbeat.

Sat, Koper 8-5 Lake Bled

Sun, Zadar 9-5 Sea Organ & KORNATI NATIONAL PARK

Tues, Split 8-11pm Palace & Trogir - PALACE ONLY + WALK TO THE BACVICE BEACH OR MARJAN HILL

Wed, Hvar 8-5 Blue Caves + ENJOY RED WINE :D

We are booked on a Seabourn Spirit Croatian cruise next October and are beginning to plan our shore excursions. Any feedback on what we have planned or great recommendations of other places to see/things to do would be greatly appreciated. We would like to visit Plitvice National Park and are not sure which port of call would be best to do this from? My first inclination was Zadar, however, we are in port for many more hours in Rovinj. Please help!!! :)

Sat, Koper 8-5 Lake Bled

Sun, Zadar 9-5 Sea Organ & ???

Tues, Split 8-11pm Palace & Trogir

Wed, Hvar 8-5 Blue Caves????

THANKS EVERYONE

If your ship is offering a shore excursion to Plitvice and guarantee a timely return, then I would say go for it. However do not try to make this drive on your own, you will not have enough time to enjoy the lakes. Research Krka Park, it would be a much better choice for your limited time frame.

Dubrovnik has much more than just walking the wall or riding the cable car. The Dubrovnik Tourist bureau shows all of our historical and cultural sights.

Enjoy your time in Croatia.

We had also had an all day port call in Rovinj on the Windsurf. The ship offered 3 excursions: 1) morning tour to Porec to see 6th C Byzantine cathedral + wine tasting in countryside;I took this; it was very nice and spent the entire afternoon in beautiful Rovinj 2) 1/2 day to Pula to see Roman ruiuns 3) All day tour of Istrian penisula. If Rovinj is your last port and you are tired from touring, it will be a very pleasant place to spend the day. Also it's a very steep walk up the hill to see the cathedral and a tricky walk back down the other side, but interesting old houses and shops and beautiful views. Bring comfortable shoes with good traction.There is a great market of local food specialty at the bottom of the hill.

Dubrovnik Lady, can you tell me about transportation from the airport to our hotel Dubrovnik Palace, price of taxis, private cars or airport shuttles? Really looking forward to our visit to Dubrovnik.

You need to email the hotel directly for an airport transfer quote, I have no information regarding their rates. The airport bus will only transfer you into the Pile Brsalj area, then you need to take taxi to the Palace from there. Not worth the trouble as far as I'm concerned. The hotel transfer service is door to door, makes your life easier. You do understand the Palace is not very close to the old town?

Enjoy your holiday here.

http://www.dubrovnikpalace.hr/Home.aspx?PageID=1&gohome=true

Thank you for your advice. However I was under the impression that this hotel was within walking distance of the old town - oh dear!

The only hotel within walking distance to the old town are:

Hilton Imperial Hotel - only steps away

Hotel Excelsior - about 5 minutes

Hotel Villa Argentina - about 10 minutes

Villa Dubrovnik - about a 20 minute stroll

If you expect to be close to the old town, I suggest you change your reservation.

If Rovinj is your last port and you are tired from touring, it will be a very pleasant place to spend the day. Also it's a very steep walk up the hill to see the cathedral and a tricky walk back down the other side, but interesting old houses and shops and beautiful views. Bring comfortable shoes with good traction.There is a great market of local food specialty at the bottom of the hill.

We were on the same cruise and also enjoyed Rovinj; it is compact, charming and easy-going. It is true that the cathedral is on the highest point of the town but we found the walk up to be not particularly taxing and there are various benches along the way, all overlooking superb views.

This is a view from Wind Surf towards the town. The tower of the cathedral is clearly visible.

DSCF0320.jpg

The walk back down to the heart of the town is through narrow cobbled streets. The cobbles have worn smooth and are therefore a little slippery.

DSCF0321.jpg

The market is superb, especially if you have the urge to restock on chillis ;)

DSCF0338.jpg

Have a super trip!

Mands

Archived