anytime dining and tips?

teddygurl28

This upcoming cruise we are trying anytime dining. My question, if we have a different wait staff every night, and we feel service renders it, do we have to tip each night? or at the end of the week can we leave a tip and it gets divided between all the waitstaff in the atd section?

i am just not sure how to go about this?

thanks

Your tip is divided at the end of the cruise, split among those waiters working in the AnyTime Dining section.

We did ATD last April on the Sensation, but have chosen a set dinner time for our upcoming cruise. While we had great service every night, it was with a different wait staff. We missed meeting & talking to other people at dinner, hearing about their day. We missed having the same staff every night that learned our daughter's likes/dislikes & remembered her. :)

Hope you enjoy it!

This upcoming cruise we are trying anytime dining. My question, if we have a different wait staff every night, and we feel service renders it, do we have to tip each night? or at the end of the week can we leave a tip and it gets divided between all the waitstaff in the atd section?

i am just not sure how to go about this?

thanks

Thats a good question. We are also doing anytime dining on our cruise in July. I didn't think of that...

Your tip is divided at the end of the cruise, split among those waiters working in the AnyTime Dining section.

We did ATD last April on the Sensation, but have chosen a set dinner time for our upcoming cruise. While we had great service every night, it was with a different wait staff. We missed meeting & talking to other people at dinner, hearing about their day. We missed having the same staff every night that learned our daughter's likes/dislikes & remembered her. :)

Hope you enjoy it!

Thanks, atleast ill know if i tip the last night the entire waitstaff will split it...

i am sort of hesitant about the atd for the reason you mentioned above and them not knowing likes/dislikes....im old enough to explain to waiters that i want everything absolutely plain lol, but it would be nice to have them just remember...we mainly did it because i wanted a table for 2 and figured this was the easiest way to ensure that...oh well we can try it and if its not for us then next cruise will be back to the late dining!

thanks!

We did a Freestyle dining cruise and had a different server every night as well. We did not tip every night so it seemed useless to do what we do with tipping at the end of the trip when we didn't remember who served us what. I guess it can be done but I didn't know how, If we found one wait staff member who we requested each night we would have tipped. I love this question as I too had that question.

We started using ATD several cruises ago, and just love it! If you get a server that is great and you want to stick with that team, just request that server when you get your table. They love it when we come back night after night. It is great because we can still eat on our schedule, and we can spend a little bit of time with the same wait staff.

As far as tablemates, my DH and I usually request a small table, or a table for 2 so having someone different to talk to each night is not an issue for us. We think ATD is the best thing ever!

When you are seated for Anytime dining they make note of your cabin no. so they know which wait staff served you and will divide the tips accordingly.

We had the same staff each night as we thought the service was terrific! The wait staff knew just what we wanted by the 2nd night and also knew our name.

We will ONLY do Anytime dining from now on!

It is my understanding that if you select anytime dining you are required to prepay your gratuities. Check with your PVP or TA to be sure.

Not on Carnival........but they do on Royal Caribbean.

We love anytime dining and treat tips the same as traditional by just doing auto tips........no different..

It is my understanding that if you select anytime dining you are required to prepay your gratuities. Check with your PVP or TA to be sure.

I think you are confusing Carnival & Royal Caribbean. RCCL makes you pre-pay and it's because too many people don't tip in MTD for reasons already mentioned on this post, ie different waiters each night.

I can't imagine NOT tipping when having MTD. You are still being served and that server will get a portion of the weekly auto tip. Please don't stiff the staff just because you didn't get the same server nightly.

Hope you enjoy it!

We did ATD on the Fascination in January, and for the reasons you mentioned above, I will be doing a set dining time in Jan 2012. Nothing wrong with ATD, but I love talking to and meeting new people!

Thanks, atleast ill know if i tip the last night the entire waitstaff will split it...

i am sort of hesitant about the atd for the reason you mentioned above and them not knowing likes/dislikes....im old enough to explain to waiters that i want everything absolutely plain lol, but it would be nice to have them just remember...we mainly did it because i wanted a table for 2 and figured this was the easiest way to ensure that...oh well we can try it and if its not for us then next cruise will be back to the late dining!

thanks!

My BFF and I cruised in January, and always were seated at a table for two.

We started using ATD several cruises ago, and just love it! If you get a server that is great and you want to stick with that team, just request that server when you get your table. They love it when we come back night after night. It is great because we can still eat on our schedule, and we can spend a little bit of time with the same wait staff.

Us too. We had a GREAT server the first night, and then on the second night our server was less than desirable. After that, we requested our original server for the remainder of the cruise. Only once did that cause us to have to wait for 5 minutes, otherwise we were seated immediately.

We will only do ATD from now on. If you get a wait-staff team that you like, you can request them every night. If you get one you dont like, you have the option of trying a new wait-staff team...something you dont get on set time dining.

We also like having a table for just us 2, 4 or 6..etc.

We did ATD on the Triumph last month for two of our seven nights, and had unpleasant experiences each time. The first time was the second night of the cruise (elegant night), and our food, along with the 6 folks seated next to us, stayed perched on a waitstation for 15 minutes while waiting on the head waiter to place the food. He would not let the assistants do it until he was done taking orders at other stations in his area. We went back to the dining room two nights later, were seated around 6:20 or so, and had to wait nearly an hour to be served (everyone else in ATD section also had to wait). The waiter stated that the reason was the kitchen was trying to clean up from the early seating, and prepare for the late seating, and we were not a priority.

I was going to complain, but figured it wouldn't do any good, so we just ate in the buffet the other nights. Most nights the food was as good or better in the buffet, and I did not have to wait on anyone else to bring my food!

We were seated in different sections each time.

I think you are confusing Carnival & Royal Caribbean. RCCL makes you pre-pay and it's because too many people don't tip in MTD for reasons already mentioned on this post, ie different waiters each night.

I can't imagine NOT tipping when having MTD. You are still being served and that server will get a portion of the weekly auto tip. Please don't stiff the staff just because you didn't get the same server nightly.

We eat mainly in the buffet every night and still leave the tip on.

I did my part. Let CCL figure out where it goes.:p

Bill

i do the automatic/prepay gratuities anyways...i was thinking more of the extra tip that i like to give at the end of the week....but thanks!

Thanks, atleast ill know if i tip the last night the entire waitstaff will split it...i am sort of hesitant about the atd for the reason you mentioned above and them not knowing likes/dislikes....im old enough to explain to waiters that i want everything absolutely plain lol, but it would be nice to have them just remember...we mainly did it because i wanted a table for 2 and figured this was the easiest way to ensure that...oh well we can try it and if its not for us then next cruise will be back to the late dining!

thanks!

Why would you not tip or are you referring to tipping over and above the auto tip?

lol you answered my question before I asked it. lol

Bill

Why would you not tip or are you referring to tipping over and above the auto tip?

lol you answered my question before I asked it. lol

Bill

looks like we posted at the same time...i meant tipping over the auto tip...i should have been more clear originally

If you tip above the autotip I can bet the person you give it to on the last night will just put it in his pocket. So if you have a desire for someone specific to tip I would hand it to that person.

I liked anytime dining but requested the same wait staff every night.( I got a good one);). We tip extra at the end of the cruise with a separate envelop to the waiter, assistant waiter, and MARIA the best bar service ever!!!

We do Anytime Dining since it's been available. We've always had which ever server was available for our seating and have never had a problem with service. Since we usually tip extra at the end of the week if service is good, we realized that that wouldn't happen with Any Time, so we tip each meal. We leave a few $s on the table. Works for us (and them ;)).:)

I am not an expert on this but my party of 6 loved anytime dining.

We did wait each night less than 20 minutes but we did find a waiter that we liked and had the first night. The second night the waitress wasnt all that so the 3rd night we asked if we could always have the same waiter. They said yes but we might have to wait. He was worth the wait. The last night we gave him extra tip.

The auto tip also pays the people cleaning up after me for breakfast and lunch (I think) so the tipping is just part of the price for such great service.

We were on 5 day fantasy.

Archived