The New Formal Definitions On "X" Website

ORV

This was briefly discussed in the last big dress code thread. It seems that the sections of the Celebrity website that define the dress code have been changed. As far as I can find there are four pages that define the dress code. Any missing punctuation or misspelling is Celebrity's, not mine. They are as follows:

In the FAQ's under the question, What is the onboard dress code?

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000O0pSKTfx_xNkcYZKIuFFmXX:12hdebcnj?faqSubjectName=Dress+Code&faqId=478&pagename=faq_answers

Examples of "Smart Casual and Above" and "Formal" attire include:

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. As a courtesy to our guests, we respectfully require and enforce compliance with the dress code at the entrance of your restaurant of choice. We thank you, in advance, for your cooperation and understanding. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performance

Under Proper Dining Attire, you get to this page from a link that says, Dressing For Dinner, here is the description, note the emphasis on the word "detailed" is mine

Dressing for Dinner

Dress appropriately for every dining occasion with these detailed guidelines.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/whyceleb/heroSingleTxtSub.do;jsessionid=0000O0pSKTfx_xNkcYZKIuFFmXX:12hdebcnj?pagename=proper_dining_attire

Dining aboard Celebrity is a true taste of luxury. A departure from the everyday. Whether dining at an intimate table for two or a convivial table for many, appropriate attire contributes to everyone's overall enjoyment.

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. As a courtesy to our guests, we respectfully require and enforce compliance with the dress code at the entrance of your restaurant of choice. We thank you, in advance, for your cooperation and understanding. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

You can also find this in "Guest Conduct Policy"

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/heroSingleTxtSub.do;jsessionid=0000O0pSKTfx_xNkcYZKIuFFmXX:12hdebcnj?pagename=guest_conduct_policy

Dining Areas Dress Code

Dinning Rooms Specialty Restaurants

No bare feet, caps, tank tops or bathing suits are permitted in these areas. Shorts are not allowed during dinner.

Resort Deck Cafe

No bare feet are allowed. Tank tops and caps are not allowed during dinner.

The 4th place I can find a dress code definition in under packing. This is the only place that lists the traditional definition.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/heroSingleTxtSub.do;jsessionid=0000O0pSKTfx_xNkcYZKIuFFmXX:12hdebcnj?pagename=packing

Evening Attire

Evenings aboard Celebrity include two types of dress: "Smart Casual and Above" and "Formal."

Smart Casual and Above

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

Formal

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown or dressy pantsuit

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks

The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the appropriate attire each evening. A casual dress code applies at all times onboard Celebrity Xpedition.

So my questions are;

1. Has Celebrity stealthily changed their dress code?

2. Is this an update to their website and it is a oversight?

3. Why hasn't this been discussed and an answer come up with?

I can see someone that has never cruised Celebrity before check the website, see the very casual definition, pack accordingly, then be out of place if the website is in error.

On the other hand if it has changed to that I can see some very unhappy Celebrity loyalists.

Feel free to discuss amongst yourselves but PLEASE, let's keep it civil, this is about whether the code has changed or the website is in error.

My personal take that common sense would suggest is that it is an error, otherwise they would not mention Formal at all and say their dress code is Elegant Casual, like Oceania.

I also feel at the very least Celebrity's web dept should get all of these statements in agreement with each other, whatever the policy is.

My personal take that common sense would suggest is that it is an error, otherwise they would not mention Formal at all and say their dress code is Elegant Casual, like Oceania.

I also feel at the very least Celebrity's web dept should get all of these statements in agreement with each other, whatever the policy is.

My own take on the subject - it very easily could be an error, but it just as easily could be a purposeful omission by Celebrity - in an attempt to appease everyone by dropping the official "rules" of formal wear. By doing that, but still keeping a "formal night" in name, they could (maybe) keep people happy who want to dress up by still saying it's formal night, but keep the people who don't want to dress up happy, by not forcing any strict guidelines on them. I'm not saying that I think that is a perfect compromise, but it is certainly a practical compromise in the eyes of a large corporation who judges these things using analysts and statisticians.

Having said that, though - I am unsure what is going on with X's website designers. Celebrity must know that the dress code is a fairly emotional topic when it comes to CC discussion (we also know for sure that X cares about what concerns are brought up on this forum, as evidenced by Dan Hanrahan's willingness to come and answer questions here). So I guess I'm not sure why this would have been changed with no official mention of it by Celebrity.

I totally agree as well that the contradiction of the "Packing" section needs to be addressed, one way or the other.

It would be great if Celebrity finally made the formal night an option, as opposed to a mandatory rule. That way, those diehard fans of a formal evening could dress as they saw fit, without forcing others to comply with a dress code that few would adhere to if the rule were not in place. If there are sooooooooo many people out the who still want to dress formally, then having an optional formal night should not change things at all.

Personally, I think those people who still want a mandatory formal night simply fear that the majority of people would rather have a smart casual atmosphere all the time. They fear that, if given the option, the numbers would show that most people would opt for a smart casual atmosphere and still have an amazingly great time!

It's been a couple of years since I last cruised Celebrity but I have a Celebrity cruise coming up at the end of the year and I'm totally confused about current dress codes. Since my cruise has several day-long excursions and numerous outdoors activities I would love for the "top" level of the code to be "dressy casual," "smart casual," or something along those lines. It seems most lines, including the luxury lines, are moving in that direction and I have no problem with that. What I do have a problem with is not know what the current requirements are so I can plan and pack accordingly.

It's been a couple of years since I last cruised Celebrity but I have a Celebrity cruise coming up at the end of the year and I'm totally confused about current dress codes. Since my cruise has several day-long excursions and numerous outdoors activities I would love for the "top" level of the code to be "dressy casual," "smart casual," or something along those lines. It seems most lines, including the luxury lines, are moving in that direction and I have no problem with that. What I do have a problem with is not know what the current requirements are so I can plan and pack accordingly.

Not counting this confusion right now, you do not have to dress formal on any Celebrity cruise at all. There are several alternatives on formal nights, specialty restaurants, buffet or room service.

I think the way the pages are written, somebody was updating something and screwed up. The pages really make no sense mentioning formal nights and then not giving a definition. This only occurred over the past week-end so we need to wait a few days..Anybody booking this week and doing some research will be really confused. I wonder if Celebrity even knows what happened...

I mean what is the obsession with this topic in this Forum? A cruise line isn't going to enforce fashion rules against its passengers - not in any detail.

Heck, in today's world the line is lucky to get Smart Casual (as opposed to Stupid Casual) and with a great many of the world's richest 'suckas' wearing jeans - it ain't just for mining anymore!

People will dress as they please. I adhere to 'traditional' dress codes - including tux. But many don't and I can't fault them given the norms of society. After all these are just vacation dining nights - not costume balls - if society waxes and wanes on formal fashion, who cares? If Casual is King, big deal... If formal wear makes a comeback - great - but it won't be by virtue of 'rules' it'll be by popular demand.

It would be great if Celebrity finally made the formal night an option, as opposed to a mandatory rule. That way, those diehard fans of a formal evening could dress as they saw fit, without forcing others to comply with a dress code that few would adhere to if the rule were not in place. If there are sooooooooo many people out the who still want to dress formally, then having an optional formal night should not change things at all.

Personally, I think those people who still want a mandatory formal night simply fear that the majority of people would rather have a smart casual atmosphere all the time. They fear that, if given the option, the numbers would show that most people would opt for a smart casual atmosphere and still have an amazingly great time!

Well said!

And I wish that folks would stop trying to relegate those who are not "pro-formal" to the buffet!

As of right now there is still a formal night. The dress code is spelled out just fine.

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks

You do not have to comply they won't throw you overboard. This is where people get confused. You're a paying customer a kid from Romania is not going to want to tell you you're under-dressed.

When they remove formal night and you no longer see it on the dinner menu, itinerary etc. That's when you can start dressing smart casual or whatever. As of now without dispute there is still a formal night.

Amen, though it usually to the buffet, room service, or specialty restaurants ad nauseum.

Why is it a bad thing when someone asks where they can eat on formal night to give those options...What do you expect when someone doesn't want to dress up...Perhaps we shouldn't answer questions factually...

Why is it a bad thing when someone asks where they can eat on formal night to give those options...What do you expect when someone doesn't want to dress up...Perhaps we shouldn't answer questions factually...

Don, I'm not sure anyone is taking issue with you or anyone else for providing those options. And personally, I think that giving people that information is helpful.

However, I also think what people are responding to (and I am one of those people) is that I don't want to be treated differently just because I choose to dress in smart casual attire every night. My strong preference is for Celebrity to do away with the required formal night, as many other cruise lines have already done. As I have stated in previous posts, removing the requirement would not preclude you or anyone else from dressing up in more formal attire.

Actually I was hoping to keep all that out of this thread.

The question is;

Did Celebrity change their dress code or is their website in error?

That's the topic here.

The problem with this is that all we can do is speculate until Celebrity either fixes the website or makes a formal announcement about dropping the required attire for formal nights (or formal nights altogether).

And, depending on what side each individual CC member is on, it seems that everyone is speculating by getting defensive about what they hope the outcome will be.

I couldn't agree more!!!

If formal night is such a precious tradition than making it optional, in the MDR, will have no impact on what people wear!

What someone wears to dinner has no impact on how I enjoy my evening and dinner!

If you want to formal...great! Enjoy it!! If you want to go casual, also great! No impact to me!

Don, I'm not sure anyone is taking issue with you or anyone else for providing those options. And personally, I think that giving people that information is helpful.

However, I also think what people are responding to (and I am one of those people) is that I don't want to be treated differently just because I choose to dress in smart casual attire every night. My strong preference is for Celebrity to do away with the required formal night, as many other cruise lines have already done. As I have stated in previous posts, removing the requirement would not preclude you or anyone else from dressing up in more formal attire.

I'm not sure if you're looking at it from the right perspective... There's a dress code you are clearly aware of it. If you willingly choose not to participate then you willingly choose not to participate in any of the reindeer games.

You have to understand YOU are the one that is making the decision not to participate. Until the rules change that's simply how it is.

Once the rules change I'll be right here backing you saying "Hey there is no formal dress code just be comfy and happy".

There is a formal dress code at this point, you don't have to like it... but you have to accept it.

I couldn't agree more!!!

If formal night is such a precious tradition than making it optional, in the MDR, will have no impact on what people wear!

What someone wears to dinner has no impact on how I enjoy my evening and dinner!

If you want to formal...great! Enjoy it!! If you want to go casual, also great! No impact to me!

You're making it sound like it's every night. I could care less honestly about formal night.

But as of right now they have it in the schedule. So I will not be a little princess about it trying to change the direction of the world to revolve around me and wear a tux.

When they change the rules I will stop wearing one...

Why are these threads still popping up?

I think because it comes across as a banishment and/or attitude by so many pro-formal night people and not just information to new cruisers with questions.

You're making it sound like it's every night. I could care less honestly about formal night.

But as of right now they have it in the schedule. So I will not be a little princess about it trying to change the direction of the world to revolve around me and wear a tux.

When they change the rules I will stop wearing one...

Why are these threads still popping up?

Because there's a problem in the way Celebrity's website is showing the dress code. The way it stands 75% of the descriptions on their site show formal dress being pants and a collared shirt for men. No tie, no jacket. That's a strong argument for the casual side.

You do understand that is the point of this thread?

Archived