Norwegian Pearl- Alaska- orcas

stevenikkij

We are doing the NCL Pearl in late July, my husband really wants to see orcas. Now Victoria has a tour on the last night of the cruise- it is at 7:30pm and for 3.5 hours I believe- anyone done this tour???

I presume you mean Victoria as in the city vs. a tour company name? If you do mean the city, we did a tour with a private tour company there in Sep 2009. We did see several whales and sea lions. It was roughly 45 minute ride out and then some driving to various hot spots and then back. However, our tour started at like 10:30 a.m. as that is when we were in port.

There were two fairly large private operators there as I recall - both had zodiac type boats and also enclosed boat(s). One was 5Star Whales and the other I don't recall but you'll see it if you do some searching.

There should be a few companies with different times to see orcas try a google search. I live in Vancouver and take the passenger/car ferry over to Vancouver Island 3 - 4 times a year and see them from the ferry quite often, not too close mind you.

We would be doing the tour through NCL- so not sure of the company they go through. I though it would be dark by that time, the tour starts at 7:30 and is 3.5 hours- what time does it get dark there? I can't imagine it would still be light out that late- that was my main concern.

Can you fly into Seattle a day or 2 early? If so it's a short 80-90 minute drive north to Anacortes or Bellingham. Both locations have reputable tour operators to take you out to see the Orca's. We went out of Bellingham a couple years ago, it took a bit to find the Orca's, but once they located them... wow. We were lucky enough to see all 3 local pods together, Had to be 70-80 Orca's. It was an incredible sight.

We felt the time in Victoria was too short for an Orca watch in the waning daylight hours. The Pearl docks there so late in the day it's really early evening. When we sailed in August the days were growing shorter and dusk really wasn't optimal viewing for us. That said, early July with the longer days may be sufficient.

We are doing the NCL Pearl in late July, my husband really wants to see orcas. Now Victoria has a tour on the last night of the cruise- it is at 7:30pm and for 3.5 hours I believe- anyone done this tour???

We did this tour when we were on the Pearl in July a couple of years ago. We did see orcas close up! The crew are in radio contact with other boats in the area and they help each other spot the orcas. Some might tell you there is not enough time, but we managed to see them and it was something we always wanted to do. Go for it. As mentioned the orcas in the area are all documented by their markings and there is a guide on board to tell you what you are seeing.

Can you fly into Seattle a day or 2 early? If so it's a short 80-90 minute drive north to Anacortes or Bellingham. Both locations have reputable tour operators to take you out to see the Orca's. We went out of Bellingham a couple years ago, it took a bit to find the Orca's, but once they located them... wow. We were lucky enough to see all 3 local pods together, Had to be 70-80 Orca's. It was an incredible sight.

We felt the time in Victoria was too short for an Orca watch in the waning daylight hours. The Pearl docks there so late in the day it's really early evening. When we sailed in August the days were growing shorter and dusk really wasn't optimal viewing for us. That said, early July with the longer days may be sufficient.

We are staying 3 days after the cruise- so will definitely be able to do this going out of Seattle.

When all three Pods merge, there are 94 whales. When the three pods merge it is then a super pod.

That sounds awesome to see!!

I think we have decided to not go through NCL- we will go with one of the other companies- probably in Anacortes. We will be in Seattle for 3 days and DH said he doesn't want to book the tour through NCL and chance us not seeing them because of waning daylight on Saturday night. So one of our Seattle days we will head on a tour, and see them. Thanks for all of your advice- now to pick a company..... :)

Archived