Anyone recently taken a spin class on the Crown?

PtownGirlz-NH

I don't know about the Crown, but I did a spin class on the Emerald. The instructor was really full of himself, our female instructors at our Y would spin circles around him, he even got off his bike and sat down half way through class. The class was only 45 minutes including warm up and cool down. The spin bikes were not of the quality I'm used to, my feet are wide and would hardly fit into the toe clips. The next time I will give the bikes a thorough check out before spending the money.

Alright Chris... I don't think I'm bringing my cycle shoes. But I think I am going to bring a pair of triathlete spin shorts with a very small amount of padding just in case I want to take a class. I will check out the bikes before I sign up! We are doing the bike and swim in Grand Cayman so i'll use my shorts there at least! Have fun and good luck!

I work part-time at a health club and i teach Cycle classes (SPIN is a registered trademark for a specific bike) - anyway I took a Cycle class and paid my $12 for it. My overall view of the class format is that the instructor wasnt trained to teach any kind of cycle class - it was a basic cycle fast, cycle slow with resistance repetition. Nothing challenging (although you can make things more difficult by adding more resistance) and very generic "one size fits all" type of class.

Hope that helps!

I have taken several spin classes on cruise ships and they are just what you would expect from a class on a cruise ship. Every week a new load of people board and you will have people from grand maw to someone who rides 100 miles on their road bike on a Saturday in the class. The classes are set up to speak to the masses. If you don't get the workout you wanted just go get on one of the other bikes with computers and you can keep going. These instructors cannot please everyone. I would not think it wise to just drill everyone with a hard core spin class on a cruise ship!

I have taken several spin classes on cruise ships and they are just what you would expect from a class on a cruise ship. Every week a new load of people board and you will have people from grand maw to someone who rides 100 miles on their road bike on a Saturday in the class. The classes are set up to speak to the masses. If you don't get the workout you wanted just go get on one of the other bikes with computers and you can keep going. These instructors cannot please everyone. I would not think it wise to just drill everyone with a hard core spin class on a cruise ship!

Totally agree with you there - The class must be available for everyone to do so an extremely difficult class should not be expected in this environment.

I have taken Spin class on Caribbean and Yoga on Emerald. I will not take classes again. I took Spin because my daughter wanted to spin. The fitness staff is there to sell detox, etc. products. When I took the spin, I had to pay 12 for myself and 12 for my daughter but during the class, the instructor asked two non-paying people to join. During Yoga, the instructor didn't show up, too busy selling detox.

If you like to spin, take your shoes and try it. It is only $12.00. But it is not like your gym spin class, so keep expectations low. I attend the gym daily, and frankly, do not like the fitness staff on the 3 ships I went on. They are really sales persons with biceps.

I attend the gym daily, and frankly, do not like the fitness staff on the 3 ships I went on. They are really sales persons with biceps.

LOL. My thought from the 2 instructors on the Crown were that they were juice-heads with biceps :D... I took two spin classes and didn't like them. The Aussie instructor was very full of himself and kept torquing down my resistance (I'm out of shape, get over it) to my dismay. I found it torturous but those very physically fit ladies around me (who made me feel even worse about my cellulite on my thighs) were not challenged. I would guess the class was "middle of the road" as the prior posters said.

Thank you all of you for your help. I wonder if they have replaced "cycle" classes with Zumba?? Did you have to pay extra for the Zumba class and was it the same 12.00 dollars that yoga and pilates is? Paying 12 dollars extra for a class that is not terrific really bothers me. The fitness people are there all day, they teach stretch and some aerobic classes for free. Why oh why do I have to pay extra? I am just trying to stay in shape, have fun and burn more calories so I can not feel as guilty at the buffet!!!!

I am a fitness instructor and I have taken a few classes on the Caribbean Princess and the Grand and I would NOT recommend anyone pay extra money for any of the classes. The instructors were not very good and seemed disinterested. You can teach a class and make it very challenging for everyone, regardless of their fitness level, but it takes effort and they aren't going to do that.

You will get a better workout getting on one of the bikes and riding yourself.

I am a fitness instructor and I have taken a few classes on the Caribbean Princess and the Grand and I would NOT recommend anyone pay extra money for any of the classes. The instructors were not very good and seemed disinterested. You can teach a class and make it very challenging for everyone, regardless of their fitness level, but it takes effort and they aren't going to do that.

You will get a better workout getting on one of the bikes and riding yourself.

I was under the impression that we weren't allowed to hop on a bike and use it. I read in another thread that the bikes are only to be used for spin classes. I will try to use one and see what happens. We are sailing in April and I really want to keep training.

Archived