how to uncork wine brought onboard?

elaineo

Your cabin steward can give you a corkscrew but you have to use your strength to pull the cork out. On my last cruise I actually had to go and ask the cabin steward to open it for me because I didn't have any strength after shoulder surgery. The ones we have at home are so easy to use.

On a recent cruise on Solstice, I left a note for the cabin steward asking for a corkscrew and wine glass. When I came back, the bottle was opened and we had two glasses.

On a past cruise on the Century, I left two botles of wine, a red and a white, on the counter and when returning to the cabin, there was a corkscrew, two wine glasses and the white wine was on ice. He changed the ice daily.

jcg

We have a little travel corkscrew that we have kept in our bag with the razor, tooth brush,etc. Never had a problem with home security. We no longer fly to the Florida ports, since I drive I carry a Waiters corkscrew, To old to pull the cork with the travel size. At home I use A Houdini. Bill

Dont you think its a petty cut back on Celebritys part no wine corkscrew or bottle opener in Eclipse cabins having to contact a room steward or room sevice for a simple thing to open a bottle.

another cutback was book markers in the library

On a recent cruise on Solstice, I left a note for the cabin steward asking for a corkscrew and wine glass. When I came back, the bottle was opened and we had two glasses.

On a past cruise on the Century, I left two botles of wine, a red and a white, on the counter and when returning to the cabin, there was a corkscrew, two wine glasses and the white wine was on ice. He changed the ice daily.

jcg

Now THAT's great service!!! :cool:

They used to leave a corkscrew like the one pictured below in the staterooms to open wine in the mini-bar. But no longer do as the mini-bar wine is all screw top now. However, most of the time the stateroom attendant can get one like this for you.

bo012f.gif

However the supply of these must be low as sometimes the attendants indicate they will "try" and it sometimes takes them a while to get one. Also as one poster above indicated these are difficult to use as they have no leverage and are cheaply made. If we plan on bringing our own wine we usually throw a corkscrew into our luggage and never have a problem.

BTW - our cabin stewards have always been great about bringing us wine glasses and iceing down bottles of wine that need to be chilled. No issues there other than wanting this done at the last minute late-afternoon as the time before sail-away from port is often when most of the stewards have time off so service might be slow at those times. You'll get it done then by someone, but we've found it is best to leave a note for them earlier in the day if we know we'll want the wine late afternoon.

I had a hard time trying to get that kind of corkscrew to open my wine. I just didn't have the strength to pull it out with recent shoulder surgery and ok I'll admit it - I'm old. We had nice corkscrews with us from the Intercontinental where we stayed and they confiscated it because they said it had a blade longer than 4" which I don't think it did but wanted to board and not fight with security over a corkscrew.

We have no trouble with the X openers. However, easy enough to pack your own.

Your room steward will make sure you have fresh wine glasses daily. We let our steward know we have carried on wine and need the opener and glasses when we meet him/her the first time. They mark your requests down for the length of your stay . So let them know when you want your ice bucket refreshed daily, glass needs, towels etc. right away. It helps them provide the service you want from day one.;)

Archived