Running in Venice

Scorpiorose

:rolleyes:Is it safe to run around a hotel? My hotel is very close to Marco Polo Airport....it that a safe enough area to go out for a quick run in the morning before sight seeing and boarding the cruise ship in the evening?

Why not have a nice breakfast instead?

You're on holiday.......

WD

You don't say specifically where your hotel is, so my response is necessarily generic. Assuming your hotel is on or near SS14/Via Triestina (the road the airport is on, as well as the Marriott Courtyard), I wouldn't think it's a good place to run. This is a busy two lane road with no shoulder on either side.

Why not have a nice breakfast instead?

You're on holiday.......

WD

Well, my holiday will be 5 weeks, I have to find a way to keep running....BUT your point is well taken, I have a full flight for 24 hours the day before and then that next day.....hum.....I could take 2 days off and resume once on board our ship the next morning....and go out and enjoy Venice for a full day......

Why in the world are you staying at the airport instead of in Venice?? Since you are not staying in Venice your question about "running in Venice" cannot be answered.

IF you were IN Venice you'd be running through cobblestone streets with no traffic since cars are not allowed in the city.

When we travel by plane we stay at the Hotel Antiche Figure across the Grand canal from the train station.

Venice is pretty much crime free unless you consider gouging tourist for souvenirs a crime.

If there is any "unsafe" area in Venice it is with in the immediate area of the train terminal, jewish ghetto which by day is fine but lack of light at night can make it a bit eerie and finally the water taxis where the you are stacked in like sardines and pick pockets here are the very best in the world.

Running very early in the morning has its benefit... most tourist are sleeping and the hustle & bustle of deliveries by boat to the hotels and businesses on all the canals is very interesting thing to witness. Late at night (after 11 PM or so) it is very, very quiet in most all of Venice and it has all the ambiance you would expect... wonderful! (my choice)

It may be one of the worlds safest cities, again my opinion.

IF I tell you that I ADORE Venice you'll know why I was so upset to hear that you were staying at the airport!

What is your idea of "not too expensive"?

I have stayed so far at 2 different places that were not too expensive for me but I don't know your budget?

One is listed as a B&B because it uses the top 2 floors of a palazzo on the Grand Canal, instead of the whole building.It is called Ca Angeli--good breakfast buffet+service and nice bathrooms etc. It is close to a vaporetto(water bus ) stop and has its own dock for a water taxi. I think the water taxis will run whenever you want them. How late are you coming in ? It is always hard to arrive in a new city really late!!

Something a little less expensive is Al Ponte Mocenigo.

This is closer to Piazzale Roma about 1/2 block from a wter bus(vaporetto stop)Let me know if either of them sound OK. They both have web sites in English.

We wont arrive until 10:00 pmish.....Can we make it by then......well we would be paying less than $100 for the place by the apartment....We coudl pay a bit more....If breakfast is included wow.....we would have to check out by 11ish I suppose so that would make the stay very short if is too much.....

I'm willing to explore though....thanks!

Archived