Upsell or Upgrade?

Travelrd

i'm sailing on the oosterdam on april 23rd. if the "upsell or upgrade" fairies will be visiting me, approximately when should i hear from them?

cheers and thank you

About a week to ten days before the cruise so somewhere around 13 April. Up sells usually happen before upgrades as HAL would obviously prefer to get money for moving you to a better/higher category cabin so that might happen two to three weeks out. My only experience was an up sell offer that came about two weeks before the cruise. Strongly suggest you have an idea of what you'd be willing to pay to move from your present cabin to a higher category cabin. Typically it's a take it or leave it offer and you don't have time to research before giving an answer. There's more than one thread here where folks came here for an opinion only to find out the up sell offer was no longer available once they made up their mind.

if you used a travel agent, then the offer will come to them, hopefully they are reliable and will contact you. Have a price in mind - don't hesitate if you are going to take it or it will be gone.

Our last upsell offer came about 2 weeks out from the cruise. We took it in a second. He who hesitates is not necessarily lost, but will lose the upsell as others will take it :):):)

I had an SS guarantee, and an SS cabin was assigned ten days before. The upgrade to SA happened on its own, appearing on my online HAL account the night before the cruise. I used an online travel agency but I doubt they had anything to do with it.

thank you both for your advice. i would a love an upgrade from ss to sa just like you got. will the offer come directly to me or to my travel agent?

cheers

Unless it's literally at the last minute, like the last day or so before the cruise, an upgrade notice will come through your TA. An upgrade isn't a matter of it being offered and accepted, HAL just moves you. As some have reported they've been upgraded and only found out when they checked in at the terminal. An up sell is an offer to move for a price and it has to go through your TA and they must pass the offer on to you for your decision. I don't know if they do up sell offers at the terminal anymore. They did back in the 90's and they still might but it doesn't seem as often.

Archived