Westerdam Panama Canal April 15, 2011

bcirish

Last year we had looked into a non-Hal snorkel excursion with Jolly Pirates. But there was only a 1/2 hr window between when we were expected to dock and the excursion left. In addition if we missed the start of the excursion they would not refund the price. We did not book it luckily since we were late on getting into port that morning.

http://www.jolly-pirates.com/index.php

But now they will refund: "In the unlikely event that your cruise ship arrives late in port or not at all, your credit card will be refunded before you ask." We may try this. The following link has one picture of the Jolly Pirate ship. In addition we are scheduled to be in earlier than we were last year.

Our friends took the HAL excursion: De Palm Island--"Ticket to Paradise" $79 last year, that is being offered next year again. The first 5 pictures are of this trip are in the link below. They are labeled.

http://cid-07afc87cdf2f6dca.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/panama%20cruise%202009/2009%20Panama%20cruise%20Excursions

The remaining pictures in the link above are of the bus tour we took of the island. We got off the ship and walked out on the street where operators were selling the tour for $15 per person. You just got on one small air conditioned bus and took a 3 1/2 hr. tour of two thirds of the island. It turned out to be pretty good tour even though we were a little nervous about doing it. We did not take down the name of the company but there were 6-8 buses just outside the security gate. The tour operators work the people coming out of the gate to get on their bus.

We stopped many times and had time to shot many pictures along with a good tour guide. They brought us right back to the dock or they would let you out anywhere downtown if you wanted to shop later.

Since we are getting off in San Deigo we can not see the excursions that are listed for Astoria Oregon in our booking number. Astoria is about 2 1/2 hrs. from our home. We have been up there a couple of times so if someone who is going all the way to Vancouver can get us a list of those excursions we can let you know what we think might be the best ones to do.

Rick

We did a week in Aruba last year it's a great place lovely beaches. We did a jeep safari which toured the island. We'll propabley do some thing on our own there.

Allan & Marlane:D:D

Below is the newest update and again welcome to our newest roll call members - great to see you joining us and posting!

BCIRISH - Ed and Barbara from Chicago first posters

NOWHINERS - Mary Lynn and Doug - first posters

BOARD NAME? - with nowhiners Carol and John from Michigan

BOARD NAME - with nowhiners Kitty and Jim (also in Albuquerque)

BOARD NAME - with nowhiners - Jim and Cindy from Saginaw Mi

HIGH SEAS TEXANS - George and Rand - Fort Worth Texas

RAJKR74 Rick and Joyce - Springfield Oregon

SKI WW - Allan and Marlane from Victo Harbor, Ontario

BOARD NAME - with nowhiners Bill and Kay from Albuquerque

GORDONS4 - Brad & Sheri Gordon from Southern Ca.

cardev - Mike & Karen from Alberta, Canada

NO BOARD NAME - with cardev - Don & Brenda from Edmonton Alberta

I figure that the crawl will evolve over the next year. We had close to 50 on our board but with spouses we had about 40 for the crawl and we fit into a CC quite nicely - when I get home I will see if I can find the photos of use going down the hallway bottles and trays in hand as we headed to our cabin- it was kind of fun. We did learn our lesson about public areas on HAL though - won't do that again! Everyone brought a bottle to share and their own glass- our "Dam Wine Craw"l Shirts were a great hit on the ship. Peronsally - I am hoping that we get to spend some time in the Penthouse:D:D:D - That would be an awesome culmination to our crawl.

I think we have a nice group on our roll call - should be a fun time. Have to laugh - I am so looking forward to the Canal and being on the ship I don't remember any of the ports- very sad on my part!

Have a good day - off for dinner

Below is the newest update and again welcome to our newest roll call members - great to see you joining us and posting!

I figure that the crawl will evolve over the next year. We had close to 50 on our board but with spouses we had about 40 for the crawl and we fit into a CC quite nicely - when I get home I will see if I can find the photos of use going down the hallway bottles and trays in hand as we headed to our cabin- it was kind of fun. We did learn our lesson about public areas on HAL though - won't do that again! Everyone brought a bottle to share and their own glass- our "Dam Wine Craw"l Shirts were a great hit on the ship. Peronsally - I am hoping that we get to spend some time in the Penthouse:D:D:D - That would be an awesome culmination to our crawl.

I think we have a nice group on our roll call - should be a fun time. Have to laugh - I am so looking forward to the Canal and being on the ship I don't remember any of the ports- very sad on my part!

Have a good day - off for dinner

There was a place in Florida that did T shirts for us on one of our cruises for the CC gang, but I don't have their email address any more. Do you get one place to do them all or does everybody get their own done? Starting to sound like fun.

Greetings everyone. Rand and I will be delighted to host some time in our cabin. We look forward to getting to know everyone and sharing adventures through the canal! Cheers all! As the voyage gets closer we will be planning our entertainment. On our last cruise we were able to host a couple of parties for the CC members which were most enjoyable.

Greetings everyone. Rand and I will be delighted to host some time in our cabin. We look forward to getting to know everyone and sharing adventures through the canal! Cheers all! As the voyage gets closer we will be planning our entertainment. On our last cruise we were able to host a couple of parties for the CC members which were most enjoyable.

That's very generous. I would be a thrill to see your cabin! We are in an obstucted view cabin on the Upper Promanade deck. Not quite as big as yours.

Like I promised here is a link to our website and an album that is all canal transit pictures.

Panama Canal Transit-2009

Well, we were contemplating a cruise of the Panama canal but after seeing these pictures, Rick, we are no longer contemplating - WE ARE GOING!! That is the probably the most amazing thing I've ever seen, the cruise up those locks. Also, there are a lot of good book suggestions that were posted on the Panama Canal message board as well.

We've been on 2 cruises so far, RCI and Celebrity, they were both amazing cruises and so were the ships. However, we would like to try Holland America for the next one. We aren't booked yet but this one looks great.

How did you all book? Did you go through Holland directly? The reason I am asking is that on the Holland message boards there are complaints about the telephone bookers. I wasn't very pleased with our last TA, I had to do ALL the legwork!

Thanks for posting your pictures and the other links!

George--thank you so much!

Canary--welcome to the roll call/cruise. We booked using our membership in a major big box warehouse club. Best rates we've ever found, plus you get OBC and other perks (pix, dinner at PG). my email is no-whinersatmsndotcom if you need details. They also have a great relationship with HAL. And their travel insurance is cheaper than HAL and better. Example--if you get travel insurance when you book, it covers pre-exisiting conditions. No issue for us but useful for others. Can be read at the web page for the warehouse. Good luck.

ML

Well, we were contemplating a cruise of the Panama canal but after seeing these pictures, Rick, we are no longer contemplating - WE ARE GOING!! That is the probably the most amazing thing I've ever seen, the cruise up those locks. Also, there are a lot of good book suggestions that were posted on the Panama Canal message board as well.

We've been on 2 cruises so far, RCI and Celebrity, they were both amazing cruises and so were the ships. However, we would like to try Holland America for the next one. We aren't booked yet but this one looks great.

How did you all book? Did you go through Holland directly? The reason I am asking is that on the Holland message boards there are complaints about the telephone bookers. I wasn't very pleased with our last TA, I had to do ALL the legwork!

Thanks for posting your pictures and the other links!

You are welcome. I am glad you enjoyed them, most of which were shot by my wife. The down side to the pictures is.....pictures can't tell you how much more enjoyable it is in person! It is a "bucket list" item and for some of us a double "bucket list" item.

That cruise in 2009 we booked with a TA and this year we booked directly with HAL with someone we know in the booking dept.

You will enjoy the cruise and the Westerdam.

We have a very good message board going here with quite a number of cruisers posting already even this far out.

Please add us to the Roll Call:

dontspin - Ann & Don

buffdored - Dorothy & Ed

We will be doing the April 8 seven day Back to Back and disembark in Seattle. Look forward to Roll Call over the next months and to the M & G and other stuff aboard.

Don

This is one of the most active roll calls I've ever seen! I'm really leaning toward this particular cruise because of all the fun people who are going to be on it!!! I've visited a few other roll calls - 2 on HAL and 2 on Celebrity, but this one takes the cake!

I am 55 and husband 57, married for 32 years. What is the average age for HAL or does it depend on the time of year and the itinerary?

Thanks!

This is one of the most active roll calls I've ever seen! I'm really leaning toward this particular cruise because of all the fun people who are going to be on it!!! I've visited a few other roll calls - 2 on HAL and 2 on Celebrity, but this one takes the cake!

I am 55 and husband 57, married for 32 years. What is the average age for HAL or does it depend on the time of year and the itinerary?

Thanks!

Canary, I think the length and dates of cruise are big factors. Long cruises tend to attract a higher average age; more retirees and fewer children. On our last cruise March 8 Rotterdam 33 days to Hawaii and South Pacific several of us took a stab at estimating the average age and as I recall the estimates ranged from about 55 to 65 (not very scientific of course). As to the activity on this roll call it is indeed shaping up very well so far in advance of the cruise. Your post is #112. But is has a ways to go to catch up to that March Rotterdam RC which is up to 2,385 posts and still going. The Roll Call definitely adds greatly to the enjoyment of a cruise for us.

Don

Please add us to the Roll Call:

dontspin - Ann & Don

buffdored - Dorothy & Ed

We will be doing the April 8 seven day Back to Back and disembark in Seattle. Look forward to Roll Call over the next months and to the M & G and other stuff aboard.

Don

Welcome to this Roll Call Don.

We are also doing the 4-8-11, B2B cruise but getting off in San Diego. Last year we went all the way to Seattle. This year the cruise will stop in Astoria Oregon and ending up in Seattle. But having visited Astoria before, going to high school in Seattle and visiting Vancouver BC numerous times in the last 3 years we decided to save some money and get off early. But all three of those cities are worth visiting.

Roll Call update

dontspin - Ann & Don

buffdored - Dorothy & Ed

Welcome to our newest members.

Thanks George for the offer of your cabin - that will be great fun!!

To answer a couple of questions -

Wine crawl in Public - we were not paying to drink - wine steward wanted the cork fee for those 40 bottles - greedy little guy and yes it was on Westerdam - go figure.

The average age IMO on our TA's has been older because of the length of the trips- I would guess 65. They also tend to be more experienced cruisers and IMO a delight to be around.

As for booking - I was introduced to a TA which was founded by the wife of one fo the former CEO's of HAL - have found no one can beat their prices and the perks are consistent. Can give you more info if interested - bcirishtravelerat yahoodotcom.

Teeshirts for the Dam crawl- I designed and submitted to an online company and sent them to Florida. It worked out cause one of the board members was from FLL and she offered to have them shipped to her and she brought them to the ship. They were not too fancy - created for fun and fairly inexpensive.

Wow - would love to B2B with a week in the Caribbean but gotta find enough time to present a concert before we leave so should not extend. You guys are very lucky.

BTW - my TA which is 18 months out now has close to 5300 posts ( not views ) it is so crazy that I do not bother to look let alone post - on an average day there are over 150 posts - guess that is a bit much for me - don't have the time to sort through all of them so usually bypass.

We did a cruise last Jan that by the time we left it had over 10,000 posts on it. If you didn't read it every day it was almost impossible to keep up. The CC bunch was almost 200 members. We did lots of things together on and off the ship, though in smaller groups. It looks like we're starting to get a good group going here. Looking forward to meeting every one on board.

I've just been reading up on some of the different excursions and some interesting ones like the Mayan ruins, white water rafting, coffee plantations that we would be interested in. Anybody been on any of those? We're just trying to get an idea of what's available and something different which we haven't done before.

I just printed the excursion brochure so could read all about them more comfortably. The rafting one looked good and i am leaning toward doing a couple of the snorkeling ones too. We haven't made any decisions yet so it would be good to hear what others are thinking.

Mary Lynn

I just printed the excursion brochure so could read all about them more comfortably. The rafting one looked good and i am leaning toward doing a couple of the snorkeling ones too. We haven't made any decisions yet so it would be good to hear what others are thinking.

Mary Lynn

Mary Lynn, did you print out the excursions directly associated with our cruise or the general HAL excursion brochure?

To see the excursions associated with our cruise go to the HAL website and on the brown bar near the top of the page click "For Booked Guests". Then click on the drop down page for "Book Shore Excursions" The next page will display and on the right side of the page a blue tab " Book Excursions", click that. You will be taken to a page were you put in your booking number and last name. Then click the "Proceed" button.

That will take you to the page with excursions that are directly associated with our cruise. You can then scroll down and click the tabs "Show Tours" for each port. At present I don't see any tours for Puerto Caldera, but quite a few now show up since the last time I checked.

Since we are getting off at San Diego we don't see the ones for Astoria OR. If you are going to Vancouver and/or Seattle are there any listed there for Astoria?

Rick

We are only looking to see what is available at this point. I don't plan on booking any thing until we get closer to the time. Marlane and I read over the different ports a coule of times to see what interests us. We might even wait until we get on board to book. Some ports we'll probabley just get off and do our own thing as we have been to some of them already. Maybe we can get together from the CC bunch and go as a group if there are some excursions that appeal to them? Yes there are five excursions for Astoria.

Rick

Yes, I printed out the ones for this cruise; we are pretty familiar with this routine! We are getting off in San Diego, so I only printed pages up to SD. Haven't made any decisions and Allan might be right--we should all coordinate and see if we can book our own at lower cost?

ML

Rick

Yes, I printed out the ones for this cruise; we are pretty familiar with this routine! We are getting off in San Diego, so I only printed pages up to SD. Haven't made any decisions and Allan might be right--we should all coordinate and see if we can book our own at lower cost?

ML

Have you done any excursions with a coordinated CC group on your own? If so, what benefits do you get by coordinating an excursion? Does HAL give a large CC group any extra consideration such as waiting for a non-Hal excursion that would be late back to the dock?

This sounds interesting if you've done it before.

Have you done any excursions with a coordinated CC group on your own? If so, what benefits do you get by coordinating an excursion? Does HAL give a large CC group any extra consideration such as waiting for a non-Hal excursion that would be late back to the dock?

This sounds interesting if you've done it before.

We've done our own before and yes it is very much cheaper if you get some of the locals on the dock and go with them instead of booking a HAL excursion. The only draw back is the ship does not wait for non HAL booked tours. I'm just wondering if people are interested in some tours we can book HAL tours together. We have a week after departure to get together before we get to Costa Rica. I'm sure there will be tours left to book on board. Just throwing some ideas out there. If anybody else has some ideas let us know.

Allan & Marlane :D:D

We are Pat & Bob from Moose Jaw taking our first cruise from Florida to Vancouver. We booked an inside cabin for our first cruise, & looking foreward to meeting new friends....Pat & Bob...:):)

Archived