Summer Cruise

Gecko7

DW, myself and some friends are considering a summer time cruise to the W. Carribean, possibly on the Legend out of Tampa.

I'm looking for thoughts suggestions and possible issues. I know hurricane season is just starting, but what else can I expect?

Thanks,

Gecko7

Join us on June 19 Legend from Tampa! I agree summertime pricing is kinda high but we have a schoolteacher in our group so that's the only time she can go. I think this date is early enough to avoid hurricane season.

I've cruised W Caribbean in August and it was pretty hot. Hoping June will be a little better.

We never cruise in the summer....always in the fall. We just can't see paying 3 times the $$ when we can wait a few extra months. The difference in price actually pays for whole other vacation for us.:)

Hope you have a great cruise!

If we could avoid the time frame we would. Anyone know of a lower cost option for late June and early July?

Well, if you absolutely have to go this time of year, then you'll probably have to book the cheapest cabin possible. I'm not sure how much of a factor money is, but going this time of year really isn't going to be a cost saver for you in many ways at all. Airfare is typically higher this time of year as well, so you'll be double-slammed with paying more for your vacation.

Airfare no an issue, and we want to nicer view. Do the ships sell out in the summer, or can you get last minute upgrades etc?

All ships sell out all the time. But in the summer they sell out quicker, there is very little chance of any last minute deal. If anything, you're better booking as far ahead as you possibly can.

It looks like you are from Texas. Not sure what your friend's school schedule is, but the north eastern schools generally are in session until late June. I think most southern schools get out much earlier, like in May.

If that's the case maybe early June would work and still be cheaper for you???

It looks like you are from Texas. Not sure what your friend's school schedule is, but the north eastern schools generally are in session until late June. I think most southern schools get out much earlier, like in May.

If that's the case maybe early June would work and still be cheaper for you???

Most of the NE schools are in at least until mid June, I know ours will be in until the third week to make up for snow days this year....

We've traveled the week of July 4th on all our cruises except the 1st one (w/o child). You simply become accustomed to paying the rate if you have no other options !! Anyway, what we ususally due is book around Sep - Dec the year before. We usually book a inside/oceanview guarantee because we haven't had any problems yet. We've received upgrades to higher decks and one obstructed view w/door. We've received OBC and cash back in the mail. Usually we get price adjustments before final payment w/TA (all cruises). So far on our current booking, we've gotten $80 off the cabin price and went from 4a to 4c. We don't try the ES rates because we've actually had to cancel one before final payment. We always get the insurance. We've never had any hurrican issues. We have noticed they're usually slightly cheaper about the third week of July or before the week of the 4th. We've always taken that week because we decided to celebrate my nephew's birthday (July 6 and the holiday together to kill two birds). He'll be 18 this summer so this may be his last "birthday cruise". Part of why we haven't made it to Hawaii yet, since Carnival's are scheduled during school seasons and now he's in community college full time. So Hawaii still awaits.

All good advice. I grew up in Hawaii and used to drive a tour bus. If you ever get there, be sure to take the circle island tour. Wait a day to get used to the time change and relax from the flights.

I'm looking for an interline rate and will likely book in a week or two. I hope you make it to Hawaii someday.

For June 19 Legend, prices have gone up from what we paid when we booked in Dec. by about $100 pp. We got good airfare from Springfield, MO to Tampa (St. Pete) on Allegiant Air, arriving 1 day early and staying 1 night after cruise. That too has gone up about $100 pp from what we paid in early January.

There is a group booking for this cruise, if you check the roll call thread for it, there's a link someplace in the first page to the group thread. I think the only savings was a reduced deposit requirement.

Are you thinking about driving, maybe cruising from NOLA or Galveston? I have been out of both ports before, I think there might even be sailings from Mobile.

Good luck!

Thank you Suzy for the thoughts. NOLA is an option, but Galvaston's itin is not high on our list. We will likely book a week later than you suggested, since that is when our kid-free time opens. We are leaning towards the Legend out of TPA on the 26th.

Enjoyr your cruise too.

Geoff

Archived