My Sun Review 2/5/11

abs711

We were on the Sun in Jan with our two boys (5 and 3 yrs) and we loved this place for a quick meal. The buffet is never that crowded' date=' there's less selection than the Garden Cafe but not as crowded and lots of people to grab extra plates and carry them to the table for you. The other trick is to put all the kids' food on one plate, then carry the second (clean) plate under the one with the food. Use your other hand to carry your food, then one adult takes a quick pass back to get drinks and you're set! We found sometimes the service in the main dining rooms was quite slow.

Have fun on the Sun :)[/quote']

I agree. There were always staff memebers eager to help. Also, for everyone we found sometimes Great Outdoors had some better options so always check both.

How was the CD and her staff? Any deck games? I had posted on the NCL Facebook page that they should do something different than hairy chest, sexy leg and Ms. Norwegian games on deck and they replied that they did. Just wondering what they do now if anything...

Thanks,

I can't wait for our sailing on 3/19! We've sailed the SUN before and she is our favorite ship!

I thought Shona did a good job. She seems very energetic and excited to be on the Sun.

They did not do any of the above Deck Games. I do not really recall anyothers. They were suppose to have some on Friday after sailway but the weather did not cooperate.

Not sure, but assume the following. Santo Tomas and connecting community Puerto Barrios (?) are not tourist areas. Santo Tomas is an industrial shipping container port and Puerto Barrios is the community in which most locals live. The two communities also live on the banana industry. And both communities are very rugged, impoverished, unrefined areas with a reasonable degree of crime. There is nothing immediate around the cruise docking area to serve tourists, other than organized tours. (There is a shopping area contained within the secured dock area however). The shame of it is, the locals working the tours are the nicest persons in the world. There are some adventure type tours available, but many are informational/educational tours that will show you their community and surrounding opportunities. In addition to the Gus tour mentioned, I recommend the NCL river tour up to the town of Livingston. Most loved it and the wonderful care given up by our guide Evelyn, a few hated it, "it's all so dirty, I won't touch this food, the boat is too windy and water too rough, how can these people live like this, get me back to the ship". So I guess NCL feels that Santo Tomas isn't Disneyland enough for many of it's customers. There's a few Santo Tomas pics at the following.

http://s241.photobucket.com/albums/ff281/roganderson60/Santo%20Thomas/?start=all

Thanks for sharing your pictures, we leave Saturday and this is the only port we haven't been to. We are just doing the trolley tour and I'm sure we won't see anything that you have pictured here so thanks!

Sharon

That sounds fair. We don't mind if the portions are small,then you don't overeat and gain weight:D Good to hear about the sushi too.

I thought the meals were good in the Main DR. A couple of the days we had to order an extra entree because the portions seem to have gotten a little smaller.

We ate at the Sushi Bar one night and it was very good. The Sushi Chef had us try just about everything on the menu. We were impressed.

I thought Shona did a good job. She seems very energetic and excited to be on the Sun.

They did not do any of the above Deck Games. I do not really recall anyothers. They were suppose to have some on Friday after sailway but the weather did not cooperate.

She is the new CD on the Sun I take it?

Also... you must have missed it..but me and some others asked about Freestyle Dailies... please say you kept them and will scan them and e-mail them in the next week or so?

PLEASE! ;)

Meg

Thanks for sharing your pictures, we leave Saturday and this is the only port we haven't been to. We are just doing the trolley tour and I'm sure we won't see anything that you have pictured here so thanks!

Sharon

If I might, may I suggest that instead of the short trolley tour (although I did see my sweetie Evelyn guiding those tours when we were there several months ago), that you do the 3 hr bus tour instead. It is an air conditioned bus with tour guide. You will get to visit much more of the immediate area, plus a quick stop at a hotel for a snack. It's a very informative tour of the area. It's no more than a bus ride looking at the communities and area, but enlightening I thought. You'll still have plenty of time to shop the dock side shopping area...and drink a Gallo or two....or three. Watch the dock side when your ship departs. The guides and locals give you a really nice send off.

Archived