Belize-Filthy city of knockoff purses

bliss14

We don't care if we ever see this country again. Don't count on buying native items, there are over a hundred shops selling the same thing, knockoff purses. The storekeepers are rude and follow you around like a hawk. We like to buy items from the country, to help the locals (and boy could they use it), but there was but a few tiny booths and I picked up one item "Made in China". Belize is filthy, trash everywhere. We took the airboat ride (a bust) and a "tour of the city". Very depressing. If we ever go back, they need to fill the village with local vendors and their crafts to help the country. Selling fake Gucci and Coach bags hurts the USA. My meal at the "Wet Lizard" had dirt in it and the waitress was my nominee for "Worst Customer Service" ever.

certain parts of the countryside are amazing. the rivers are full of wildlife, the mayan ruins are, especially lamanai, unreal....like walking into a indiana jones movie. we from local products on our tour, both at the river stop and at lamanai. the meal, on the excursions, had local flavor.

the area around the tourist village didn't appeal to us at all.

the rivers outside of belize city were....some interesting critters.

the country side and jungles are very interesting. as poor as that country is i was suprise the city wasn't worse. much different when you get out to see the family fishing in a dugout canoe, the little huts/houses/farms that dot the rivers. very rough life, not a way of life i could do.

1442921494_CloseupofJacana.jpg.2b9ae40c3acc09937fc8c35b158c6151.jpg

508924156_CLoseupoforangeIguana.jpg.182b4f25480a8b01cee5cce784f8d6f0.jpg

975074626_Followingothertour.jpg.9ce739e7d77242a04fb58cdb0dc8d1c1.jpg

1850645381_monkeysintrees.jpg.ddb6eb3eaca920beb17f5c681905fe15.jpg

766471852_NightOwlcloseup.jpg.41cb0bb544c218e2f9ce0c48c10d97e7.jpg

Actually, I purchased a beautiful purse that is made in Belize. It is tapestry and made locally. All ports have knock offs from China. You sound as though there is nothing good about the place. We have been there more than 5 times; eaten at the Wet Lizard at least 4 times and always had good meals. No dirt, just wonderful fresh food. Service was friendly and no complaints there. I recommend it to anyone going to the Tourism Village, and everyone liked it. Go figure:confused:

DD and I did cavetubing our first visit....... once on the bus they took us for a "short" tour of the city while we waited for a few more who had booked the tour and were late getting tendered in. Well, the city is definately not the highlight of this port stop.......

but once out of the city we drove for almost an hour in beautiful countryside. Once at the park area we hiked thru the forest, across the river and then we tubed. It was truly an experience we won't forget. Afterwards they took us for some Belizian lunch (yum !) and then back to the port.

For our upcoming trip we are headed out to Caye Caulker.....can't wait.

There have been many many many posts about "getting out of the city" on this port stop. With proper research this stop can truly be a memorable one.

There are local craftsmen right at the pier, you just did not see them. Walk through the building that has the pharmacy. In the back of this building is where a lot of the tours commence. All along one side there are tents where locals are creating their crafts. We purchased some beautiful wood cravings.

Funny how some people spend a couple hours in Belize City and then say Belize is a bad place to visit. It is kind of like somebody visiting Detroit for 2 hours and then saying the USA is a dirty place with nothing to offer.

Funny how some people spend a couple hours in Belize City and then say Belize is a bad place to visit. It is kind of like somebody visiting Detroit for 2 hours and then saying the USA is a dirty place with nothing to offer.

You are exactly right. The Ruins,jungle,wildlife,islands,the barrier reef & crystal clear water more than make up for Belize City. DW & I are thinking of retiring on Ambergris Cay someday.

You are exactly right. The Ruins,jungle,wildlife,islands,the barrier reef & crystal clear water more than make up for Belize City. DW & I are thinking of retiring on Ambergris Cay someday.

Shhhhhhh!!!!! Let them keep thinking Belize sucks. So we in the know can enjoy it.:)

A cruise ship port of call or excursion is not always the best way to experience an area.

Actually it was our 3rd trip to Belize. Perhaps fake purses are your forte but I prefer to support the natives.

In previous trips we went tubing and ziplining, completely different atmosphere than the port and a beautiful country. If you want to see Belize, get out of the port.

Actually it was our 3rd trip to Belize. Perhaps fake purses are your forte but I prefer to support the natives.

In previous trips we went tubing and ziplining, completely different atmosphere than the port and a beautiful country. If you want to see Belize, get out of the port.

Well, in your original post you did say "We don't care if we ever see this country again."

DD and I did cavetubing our first visit....... once on the bus they took us for a "short" tour of the city while we waited for a few more who had booked the tour and were late getting tendered in. Well, the city is definately not the highlight of this port stop.......

but once out of the city we drove for almost an hour in beautiful countryside. Once at the park area we hiked thru the forest, across the river and then we tubed. It was truly an experience we won't forget. Afterwards they took us for some Belizian lunch (yum !) and then back to the port.

For our upcoming trip we are headed out to Caye Caulker.....can't wait.

There have been many many many posts about "getting out of the city" on this port stop. With proper research this stop can truly be a memorable one.

Did the same excursion and thought it was very, very cool! Great narrative while riding out to the jungle and very informative walk through the jungle!@

HEY! I'm from Detroit....and you couldn't be more right!!!! LOL!

There are local craftsmen right at the pier, you just did not see them. Walk through the building that has the pharmacy. In the back of this building is where a lot of the tours commence. All along one side there are tents where locals are creating their crafts. We purchased some beautiful wood cravings.

Completely agree....bought i beautiful hand carved mask (the guy was carving it when we walked up) near the tent village!

the rivers outside of belize city were....some interesting critters.

the country side and jungles are very interesting. as poor as that country is i was suprise the city wasn't worse. much different when you get out to see the family fishing in a dugout canoe, the little huts/houses/farms that dot the rivers. very rough life, not a way of life i could do.

While bussing out to cave tubing w major tom, saw a family washing clothes in a dirty creek...very sad indeed.

We don't care if we ever see this country again. Don't count on buying native items, there are over a hundred shops selling the same thing, knockoff purses. Selling fake Gucci and Coach bags hurts the USA.

umm have you ever been to any city in the U.S.? you can get a fake anything. Also I'm not sure how fake Gucci hurts the US.. you know its an Italian brand right?

I'm really confused. yes there are knock-off purses being sold. Just like the ones being sold in:

Nassau

St. Thomas

St. Maarten

Cozumel

Freeport

Ok, I think you get the idea.

We have purchased beautiful wood carvings for the local vendors both times we were in Belize City and treasure them. The cutting boards are particularly beautiful with the variances in the wood colors.

• 1 year later...

I bought 2 beautiful purses from Belize, good quality and it doesn't hurt USA for my purchases, because I would never pay what they want for a real Coach.

We snorkeled the Barrier Reef and swam with Nurse Sharks and Stingrays. It was amazing! We also stopped at a local hotel and ate at the restaurant there. The food was SO GOOD and I bought a beautiful handmade tableclothes from a woman standing out by the hotel.

I would love to go back. :)

We snorkeled the Barrier Reef and swam with Nurse Sharks and Stingrays. It was amazing!

I would love to go back. :)

:) Since beaches, catamarans, and being out on the water is our thing, Belize is perfect for us! The Barrier Reef (2nd largest in the world) is totally awesome and not to be missed. Bannister Island is another thing we've enjoyed. Once we were tired so just spent our time in the Wet Lizard chatting and drinking with others. That was fun too!

Never have been shopping there so no clue what that's like. Seems there have always been other things we enjoy more than shopping.

LuLu

~~~~

Belize day is my stay on the ship day. I really don't care for the long tender ride. We really didn't care much for this port. I will admit we didn't leave the port area. The cave tubing did not appeal to me and I'm not a snorkeler. For me, this is a perfect day to have the ship to myself,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just saw this thread is still going on. It started last year. The OP never posted again after throwing in that flame about how awful Belize was.:D:D

We were just there again in January. This time I bought handmade table runners in a beautiful cloth. New earring and necklace all made in Belize.

Yes, there is such poverty in the country. I wish those making great profits from tourism would help to build up their economy, but then, we also need to do that in many US cities.

Archived