Anybody Canceling Due To Airfare?

Toast1412

Actually if you leave the night before and have to spend the night it ends up being nearly the same price. You could leave at about 8pm and save about $200 but by the time you get a hotel it is nearly the same amount. I missed the having to leave on Sat. morning.

have you found good prices out of NY/NJ? We would LOVE to cruise from Ny or NJ but the prices were super high for when we could go and we were not crazy about the itinerary.

We live in Northern NJ a few minutes from NYC so we could realistically cruise from a bunch of ports around here and even baltimore.

Enjoy that 12 day :) I'm jealous!!

RCCL's Explorer (out of Cape Liberty NJ) and RCCL's Enchantment (out of Baltimore) both have some good rates certain times of the year, typically at off peak times, during hurricane season and weeks before and after Thanksgiving and Christmas but not during. When we sailed the Explorer in 2009 we pulled our son out of school with the agreeance with his teacher to do a cultural essay on the experience. He is going to Disney with marching band in Nov. so it's just the wife and I cruising this time. Some web sites have really good search features for finding a good cruises without doing a 'mock booking'. Good luck with your searches and remember to check out the NY,NJ and Baltimore ports.:)

6/11-6/18 is $942.60 RT for two from MKE. And the 6/11 into MCO gets there around noon which is probably pushing it. Thanks though.

How would that be pushing it? The boat doesn't leave until 4pm I don't think and you must be on board 90 minutes prior to sailing. It only takes approx 45-1hr to get from MCO to Port Canaveral, depending on traffic. I know you're probably wanting to get in sooner in case of delays or traffic, but you're on a tight schedule....

How would that be pushing it? The boat doesn't leave until 4pm I don't think and you must be on board 90 minutes prior to sailing. It only takes approx 45-1hr to get from MCO to Port Canaveral, depending on traffic. I know you're probably wanting to get in sooner in case of delays or traffic, but you're on a tight schedule....

ORD has about 80% on time flights overall. If one of the later flights gets pushed back just a little, say 30 to 45 miutes, we could be waving goodbye from the pier and not the boat.

I read earlier posts from locals that getting to the airport around 12 to 1 could be cutting it close.

As much as I am dreading the drive... it looks like that is going to be the only cost effective option for us. We are a family of 3.. and tickets for us (from Norfolk, Va to Orlando, Fl) are going to cost us about $800. Its about a 13 hr drive... but even with gas and a hotel stay.. we could drive for half that.

Yep, same situation here. We were booked along with some family members (who are first timers) out of Long Beach on the Splendor. Airfare prices have been terrible so after a lot of discussion, we've decided to cancel the Splendor and are now going on the Ecstasy out of New Orleans instead. We will all drive down and save quite a bit in doing so.

We're driving to Ft. Lauderdale! We have the extra time, and the airfares make this an affordable add-on to our vacation. Of course, I may be a little extreme.............. (please note our address!)

I did a thread on here and through the help of my fellow cruise critics it was suggested I try Jet Blue. I live in Va Beach VA usually fly out of Norfolk or Newport News. The airfare was close to 400.00 pp on Southwest and Airtran. AA and Delta was even worse. I went to Jet Blue through suggestion and got airfare for 247.pp with taxes out of Richmond VA, about 1 hour and half away. We cruise out of Miami.. we fly into FLL but only a short trip away.....More money for my cruise....

We didn't cancel but we chose the Pride because we can easily drive to port. It wouldn't have been our first choice.

We are Disney people and for the past 10+ years we have flown to/from Orlando for DCL and Disney World at least 3 times per year. Fares have almost doubled and with baggage fees and the obtrusive security at the airports we've decided to limit our Florida trips to 1 per year. Oh well, we will save a small fortune!

I am shocked reading all these threads! DH & I fly for every vacation we take ~ we live in the middle of nowhere and even though I would love a nice road trip, he refuses. I always check flights before I look at any cruise or land vacation. Frankly, I'm really, really happy with the prices on the four flights we've booked in the last year!

Here are my *secrets* ~ maybe they will help someone??

*We always, always book one-way flights. I've found this saves us TONS of money.

*We never stick to ONE airport - for example... in Los Angeles, we look at Ontario, LAX, etc.. In Chicago.. we look at Midway & O'Hare.. *

*We realize the cheaper flights are not direct flights. It's not ideal but we are fine with it for the cost savings. *

*NEVER EVER EVER book on a Friday or on the 31st or 1st of the month!! Tickets will literally double for those days and then decrease 3 days later!*

*Shop around, shop around, shop around*

Also.. we have flown Air Tran twice and thought they were fantastic (the flight attendants are hilarious). Air Tran started adding a $20 bag fee, btw. We have learned to pack so we can carry-on our luggage now, however - usually all but one bag. Also, I have flown Southwest so many times I can't count and I love them ~ but recently they have not been the cheapest for us.

For the original poster.. I found THIS...

You can fly from Chicago (MDW - Midway) to Orlando (MCO) on June 10th for $150 per person on Air Tran. The flights leave as early as 10:22 am or as late as 7:59 pm. Those rates are on the Air Tran site as of 9:31 pm 2-15-2011.

You can return on June 18th also on Air Tran for the same rates.

Spirit Air also has some rather cheap rates for that itinerary. I am looking right now and NONE of the flights are even $200 per person, each way, taxes & such included.

I HOPE that helps you???

And for the poster that said they couldn't find inexpensive flights from Newark to San Juan... I believe it was Newark?? I found flights in June (an expensive month to fly, frankly) for $136 per person there and $136 per person return. Again, one way flights were nearly $200 cheaper than if you did roundtrip... I think that may be the key??!!

And by the way, hunting the Internet and booking one-way DOES payoff.. we are taking Delta to our cruise this year... for $114.30 per person including taxes & etc. We will check ONE bag at $25 extra. I haven't booked our return flight yet but if I were to book it tonight, it would be on Continental for $127 per person with two checked bags at $50 extra (souvenirs).

I hope this helps at least one person because I understand how expensive it can be to fly at times but with some due diligence, you can still get some great rates out there!!

RCCL's Explorer (out of Cape Liberty NJ) and RCCL's Enchantment (out of Baltimore) both have some good rates certain times of the year, typically at off peak times, during hurricane season and weeks before and after Thanksgiving and Christmas but not during. When we sailed the Explorer in 2009 we pulled our son out of school with the agreeance with his teacher to do a cultural essay on the experience. He is going to Disney with marching band in Nov. so it's just the wife and I cruising this time. Some web sites have really good search features for finding a good cruises without doing a 'mock booking'. Good luck with your searches and remember to check out the NY,NJ and Baltimore ports

thanks :) my husband works in a school so we can only go spring break or first week in august...I'm off to check for our next cruise :)

I'm a terrible car rider. My idea of vacation is to ride to the nearest airport or seaport. Good thing we live within 2 hours of 2 ports but we also cruise destinations far from home. Credit card = Airline miles and AmEx is our choice. We're taking our 3rd trip to Europe this year using miles flying Business class. Our hotel is also covered by miles.

We're sailing from San Juan in November and bit the bullet paying $550 for tickets from NOLA to San Juan, which I thought was terrible but I guess not. :eek: I felt like they wanted too many miles for that trip so opted to buy the ticket, which also racks up more miles.

I think to fly & cruise these days you have to be flexible. You can still come out ahead even paying for a hotel. Fly in a day early or out a day late. Fly from a different airport. Drop the non-stop only requirement.

You had lots of good suggestions here from people including Airtran, Southwest, Spirit - and don't discount Allegient. We flew Allegient into Sanford (right outside Orlando), rented a car and drove to Cocoa Beach, which is a local drop off, and sailed the next day. About twenty of us paid $39 each way although that was a couple of years ago. I see some of their fares are still in the $79 range.

Don't give up. Just keep trying and you'll find something that you are comfortable with. Then, after you book it, don't look at the fares ever again. :p

I'd take the $287 too. But like I said before, the Dream will be long gone before that flight lands.

If you read my post, I suggested flying in the night before your cruise and be better rested when you actually get on your cruise. As I also wrote, you are into saving every last dime and that means you probably don't want to spend another $125 on a hotel room even if it means a nice relaxing day on the first day of your vacation.

We are trying to decide between the Liberty out of Ft. Lauderdale or the Magic out of Galveston for next Feb. I am really trying to take the price of the flight into consideration for my family of 6 in helping us make our decision but how could I when it's so far away :rolleyes:? When do the flight schedules come out for next February? This will help us make our final decision & I'd like to book by the end of the month.

Have you looked at Rockford .. if your in Chicago its a bit of a drive (we always flew from midway - cheaper all the time Air Tran ) but Rockford has real low cost flights to FL - don't remember if there are any to Orlando though but close I know for sure .. and what an easy airport to leave from!

we moved closer to FL so we could drive LOL have 2 ports within 3 hours and Canaveral is only 7 hours drive :)

Have you looked at Rockford .. if your in Chicago its a bit of a drive (we always flew from midway - cheaper all the time Air Tran ) but Rockford has real low cost flights to FL - don't remember if there are any to Orlando though but close I know for sure .. and what an easy airport to leave from!

we moved closer to FL so we could drive LOL have 2 ports within 3 hours and Canaveral is only 7 hours drive :)

We are actualy only about 40 minutes from the Rockford airport. Unfortunately there are no flights leaving on Friday or Saturday to Orlando. Everyone in our group are working stiffs so leaving a few days early isn't an option.

If you read my post, I suggested flying in the night before your cruise and be better rested when you actually get on your cruise. As I also wrote, you are into saving every last dime and that means you probably don't want to spend another $125 on a hotel room even if it means a nice relaxing day on the first day of your vacation.

We would take the offset of going down the night before for sure but can't leave until Saturday. No kids in our group this time around and the babysitting clock doesn't start until late Friday night for Grandma.

We made a decision after our last cruise this past January- if we can't drive to the port we won't sail. Buying airfare for four is outrageous (summer/Easter Break), parking at airport or if you decide to take a car service. In addition, I'm tired of having our flights changed and the fees being added. We'll continue to cruise AS LONG as we can drive there from MA. Trying our first attempt driving to FL this April to DW.

My days of finding airfare under 250.00 and flying are over......but not our cruising.

:)

The drive to FL is not that bad (we're in upstate NY). We did it christmas of 2009 and last summer. We figure, by the time we get to the airport 2 hours early, then change flights with a layover (with a cheaper flight there is always a long layover for us), followed by the 1 1/2 hr drive from Orlando to MIL's its not that much difference in time.Plus, we get to see so many cool things. Plus 95 is such a straight shot between NY and FL, it makes it an easy trip.

Booked for 6/11 on Dream out of Port Canaveral flying into Orlando.

Anybody else been considering canceling your cruise due to the insane airfare to Orlando?:eek:

Yes, we canceled the booking we had on the Dream for January (booked in May - canceled before final payment due), due to the airfare. There were 4 of us. It's a shame really. Lucky for us we live near 3 ports (So Cal), but we were looking forward to the Dream.

Living in ND we don't have a lot of options to choose from when it comes to airlines so we always expect to pay a higher airfare. This year our airfare was about the same price we paid for our balcony cabin. This is just a fact of life for us and we deal with it. It is also the resaon why we don't cruise every year but every other.

We are doing a cruise for DS's college Spring break. We waited until last week to decide to go, and break is the first week in March. There are great cruises out of Florida, but the airfares were horrible. I tried different days, airports, etc. We tried different ports, too. The best I could do was almost $430 per person, including taxes, not to mention bag fees. (yes, we looked at Airtran and Southwest.) I waited a couple of days to see if anything opened up, but the fares went straight up! Finally, we decided to cruise out of Baltimore. SW has good deals there and NO bag fees.

While I recognize it is my fault for waiting until the last minute, these are the worst airfares to Florida I can remember.

I hope things improve, or we will have to reconsider future vacation plans.

Ohiodoglover

Archived